Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 02:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Interesting. I don't expect this to set the under 30 crowd on fire per se, but I expect it to at least not be unheard of for the under 30s and fairly common for the 30-50 crowd, which is progress for Buick. Actually this car as a whole is a breath of fresh air for Buick and GM in general.

I'm 26 and am going to give this heavy consideration as replacement for my 335i come October.

I don't really care for the brown interior in the pics you quoted though... I hope they have something more black/silver in color. The interior itself is amazing... I just don't like brown interiors on almost ANY car. I hate the tan/wood interior on the 3 series, for example.
There were two on display. A silver metallic/black and a kind of cranberry metallic (similar to Matador Red) with a tan/camel interior. Both were nice combinations IMO.
Old 02-17-09, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm afraid that is where this car may fall flat on its face....with the older, "mature" crowd, and also with (some) younger people who like a smooth ride. The one featured at the D.C. show (I looked at it as closely as I could on the turntable) had low-profile tires that looked like about a 45-50-series or so. That is NOT the way to go with a Buick. People buy Buicks primarily for ride comfort....Buicks are famous for that, and if they try to turn the LaCrosse into a sport sedan, they will drive away their core customers in droves. What will happen is they they will gravitate either to the Lucerne, or, if Buick does the same thing with the Lucerne by "sportiftying" it, to used Buicks......the value of used Buicks will skyrocket with increased demand, and Buick will not be able to sell many new cars like it does now.

I spoke with the Buick people at the D.C. auto show about this matter, and they agreed that the company was taking a BIG chance.....and also taking a big chance with the hump-roof styling that is a lot like the VW CC and Mercedes CLS.
You bring up a good point. As it turns out, when I was looking at the LaCrosse there was an older guy (older then me!) asking the rep why they weren't putting the 3.9 pushrod V6 from the Lucerne into the LaCrosse. The rep was explaning to him the advantages of the DI, variable-valve, etc. engine but he wasn't having any of it. Said he'd go with a Lucerne before a LaCrosse. He also questioned the need to offer AWD in this car. It could be a tough sell to a lot of loyal Buick buyers. Unscientific but telling.
Old 02-17-09, 03:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You bring up a good point. As it turns out, when I was looking at the LaCrosse there was an older guy (older then me!) asking the rep why they weren't putting the 3.9 pushrod V6 from the Lucerne into the LaCrosse. The rep was explaning to him the advantages of the DI, variable-valve, etc. engine but he wasn't having any of it. Said he'd go with a Lucerne before a LaCrosse. He also questioned the need to offer AWD in this car. It could be a tough sell to a lot of loyal Buick buyers. Unscientific but telling.
And why did Lincoln stop putting the 300 HP 7.0L in the Continental? Progress. Sounds to me like this old fella should check out the Chevy Citation or perhaps a Plymoth Reliant K.
Old 02-17-09, 04:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really does anybody here plan on buying a Buick? GM wants to know and so does Congress. Several Buick dealerships have closed in this lucrative part of the country, so I'm not even sure where you could buy one anyway.

IMHO, Buicks attempt at modern cars is worth a try. The old formula of selling geezer pleasers at a loss in the US market has done nothing for GM's future. With the average age of Buick buyers around low to mid 60's, they are worried too.
Old 02-17-09, 04:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
As I've said so often in the past while tire series makes a difference and might be an indicator of the tune of a vehicle it's entirely possible to have a vehicle that rides smoothly using lower profile tires.
You are correct, the better suspension tuners of modern car companies are doing this better all the time. BMW/Lexus/Jag are better at this than most. Also notice that later model cars have shorter gearing to accomadate large wheels and slightly larger rolling diameter tires, so the tire profile while low, does not have to be ultra low.
Old 02-17-09, 04:27 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

As a 22 year old, I'd be more inclined to buy an Oldsmobile than a Buick. Perhaps they dumped the wrong brand.
Old 02-17-09, 04:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Really does anybody here plan on buying a Buick? GM wants to know and so does Congress. Several Buick dealerships have closed in this lucrative part of the country, so I'm not even sure where you could buy one anyway.

IMHO, Buicks attempt at modern cars is worth a try. The old formula of selling geezer pleasers at a loss in the US market has done nothing for GM's future. With the average age of Buick buyers around low to mid 60's, they are worried too.
If I was going to be in the market for a new car, I'd consider the new LaCrosse on looks alone, pending a test drive etc. When push comes to shove, would I drop my hard earned $35k-$38k on one? I'd have to get back to you. I'm probably just fired up from the show.
Old 02-17-09, 04:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

best looking Buick ever.....period!

this is the only Buick I have ever considered buying.....and I'd consider this waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the Hyundai Genesis

Last edited by bagwell; 02-17-09 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And why did Lincoln stop putting the 300 HP 7.0L in the Continental? Progress. Sounds to me like this old fella should check out the Chevy Citation or perhaps a Plymoth Reliant K.
I don't buy the "progess" argument. A more complex engine does not necessarily mean progress. You and I are both Subaru fans, for example. Look at our own company...they have been building more or less the same boxer-four and boxer-six engines now almost forever (with some improvements in durability and refinement, of course, like the head-gasket issue). And they still keep going strong with them.....it is a superb basic design, especially for easy adaptation to AWD. Porsche, for example, has also kept more or less the same flat-four and six designs over the years, the only major change being from air to water cooling.

And we see some basic V8 engines from Chevy that trace themselves (loosely) back to the original 255 cubic inch V8 of 1955. They have been extensively modified and refined, of course, with emission and electronic controls, but the same basic design still remains.....and works. We have also seen that, until very recently with some Dodge truck V8s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-09 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 04:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If I was going to be in the market for a new car, I'd consider the new LaCrosse on looks alone, pending a test drive etc. When push comes to shove, would I drop my hard earned $35k-$38k on one? I'd have to get back to you. I'm probably just fired up from the show.
The "if I was going to be in the market" part means no I guess.

At least just wait long enough to see if GM files chapter 11 first.

Just kidding. I agree the LaCrosse looks pretty cool And I like the look of the CLS and CC too. The CLS has been a lucrative niche car for Mercedes and BMW for one is well aware of its impact and contribution to profits. But the Buick section at the last 2 auto shows I went to recently wasn't getting anybody fired up.
Old 02-17-09, 04:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I don't buy the "progess" argument. A more complex engine does not necessarily mean progress. You and I are both Subaru fans, for example. Look at our own company...they have been building more or less the same boxer-four and boxer-six engines now almost forever (with some improvements in durability and refinement, of course, like the head-gasket issue). And they still keep going strong with them.....it is a superb basic design, especially for easy adaptation to AWD. Porsche, for example, has also kept more or less the same flat-four and six designs over the years, the only major change being from air to water cooling.
Agreed complexity in itself is not progress alone.

btw, Porsche engines have changed dramatically since the change to water cooling, the only similarity is the flat six layout and bore spacing. The major changes include not only air to water cooling, but 4 value heads, variable value timing, direct injection. The most recent versions with direct injection actually have fewer moving parts and elimination of the troublesome intermediate shaft. So the latest Porsche engine is a nice example of reduced complexity in a more powerful and advanced engine.
Old 02-17-09, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I disagree. Buick has little choice. They HAVE to build cars that appeal to older people....and not-so-old people that also like smoothness and quiet. That is how they stay in buisness.

The often-used argument that Buick and Cadillac have to lower their average buying age because of geezers dying off really doesn't make much sense either. The largest generation in history (the post-WWII Baby Boomers) are set to retire. Today's geezers, who are dying off, are quickly going to be replaced with a LOT MORE geezers tomorrow. And Buick and Caddy (and Lincoln) had better have the cars for them.
Old 02-17-09, 04:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the sticker on a nearly loaded if not completely loaded (Except AWD and dealer installed junk) LaCrosse will sticker for no more than 35k and of course be negotiable down to 32k and that's if GM isn't offering any promotions. This car could actually present a fairly reasonable competitor to the Hyundai Genesis.

I really like the Genesis but certain things about the car concern me such as reports of bad suspension/ride quality issues with little to no response from Hyundai, and the fact that the 100k mile warranty doesn't cover any of the electronics for more than 3 years 36k miles.
Old 02-17-09, 04:57 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The often-used argument that Buick and Cadillac have to lower their average buying age because of geezers dying off really doesn't make much sense either. The largest generation in history (the post-WWII Baby Boomers) are set to retire. Today's geezers, who are dying off, are quickly going to be replaced with a LOT MORE geezers tomorrow. And Buick and Caddy (and Lincoln) had better have the cars for them.
The baby boomer generation isn't going to automatically start desiring giant floaty cars with bench seats, old school dash boards, and steering wheels that feel like they're controlling the rudder of a cruise liner, just because they're getting old.

Some taste in cars seems to be age-based but other taste in cars seems to be generationally based. My dad, at 70, is not going to want to drive the same sort of cars that his dad did at 70, nor will I when I'm 70.
Old 02-17-09, 04:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I You and I are both Subaru fans, for example. Look at our own company...they have been building more or less the same boxer-four and boxer-six engines now almost forever (with some improvements in durability and refinement, of course, like the head-gasket issue). And they still keep going strong with them.....it is a superb basic design, especially for easy adaptation to AWD.
Yes, but aren't companies like Toyota, GM, and Ford also building engines that indicate progress. Sure the 2.5L has been around for 13 years and Subaru has added valve timing, altered the Cams, added turbos etc. Now Toyota has a presumably more efficient 2.5L that produces more HP and torque. Do I think that Subaru has room to improve the 2.5L? Yes. But I think automakers recognizing their limits with an engine is good. The 3.9L had reached its limit. DOD is great, as is the ability to run on E85, but it just isn't putting out the power other engines can.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)