Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Corvette pricing,Camaro arrival update, and GM's future

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 04:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette pricing,Camaro arrival update, and GM's future

I've gone (admittingly) a little nuts siince MMarshall's review of the C6 Corvette. I found the #3 dealer in Vette sales in the US (EVS Chevrolet) is 20 minutes from my house and had a long conversation with their Sales Manager yesterday on Vettes, Camaro, and the future of GM. For Camaro and GM, his sources- senior GM management (he's been in for 20+ yrs). Also, they were to get a ZR1 in last night... guess where I'm stopping on my way back from Milwaukee today...

Anyway, the news:
Corvette pricing:
08 LT2 coupe- List $51K (w/chrome and Z1 pack) Now- $39,800
08 Z06 coupe- List $78K Now-$62,808
09 LT3 coupe- List $55K Now-$46,000

Camaro- they have enough material/parts to build them for 5 DAYS. They are awaiting a tooling piece from the manufacturer, but this is all held up in court. Production that was scheduled to start Monday is still held up because of all of this and if they are not online by February 16th, they will NOT deliver the new Camaro this year.

As for the future of GM, they have no idea, are very nervous, and again, same issue I raised on warranty: liquidation means new owner does NOT have to honor warranties, but again the thought is any monies received have priority dollars to honor any warranties/repairs. By March, the future of GM will be pretty evident based on sales and re-worked deals with their suppliers.

Let you guys know what the new ZR1 is like later....
Old 01-08-09, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That's a good price for a Z06 if they honor it, although not many people today have 62K to plunk down on a new car, especially one that is more of a weekend fun car than anything else.

The ZR-1, as I mentioned elsewhere, is a different story. It will be interesting to see what that local Chevy dealer wants for them. Here, the few that are available are going
for 150K or more, with a list of around 120K.....that's a 30K markup. They obviously are directing that car to the very few people with that kind of money and are willing to use it for a sports car.

And, if you can get a 51K LT2 for less than 40K, have either the cash or financing you need without any problems, and you are sure that a Corvette is indeed the car you want.........I'd consider it.
Old 01-08-09, 05:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Morning Mike,
The ZR1 that came in last night (and hopefully will be there this afternoon when I stop by) sold for $150K.

With these prices, yes, it has become a consideration...
Old 01-08-09, 06:13 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

This person you spoke with must not get out much. No new ideas? Does he know how much R&D dollars the company spends? Clueless. Has no business working for tge company if that is what he was peddling.
Old 01-08-09, 06:19 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

$39,800?! Thats the same price my IS was....damn I could be rockin' a Vette right now.
Old 01-08-09, 06:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
....Does he know how much R&D dollars the company spends? Clueless. Has no business working for tge company if that is what he was peddling.
Hmmm ... tough for him to answer that if I didn't ask that question... and "peddling" what he knows vs fantasy/speculation was what I received, so in fact he provided what I requested...
Old 01-08-09, 07:12 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
$39,800?! Thats the same price my IS was....damn I could be rockin' a Vette right now.
I was thinking the same thing! Although my insurance would skyrocket....
Old 01-08-09, 08:06 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, for that price ($39,800) and if I don't need the rear seat then I would definitely rock a Corvette.

Although the Z06 is still my top pick...
Old 01-08-09, 09:47 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Those are incredible prices for a Corvette and just 6 months ago I would have jumped on that deal. I need a back seat now though with kids coming, but you cannot beat that for a Vette!!
Old 01-08-09, 11:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Man, for that price ($39,800) and if I don't need the rear seat then I would definitely rock a Corvette.

Although the Z06 is still my top pick...
If I could do a straight trade - Supra for Z-06 - I'd be on it. The Z-06 is a great ride. The nav is less than stellar, but the stuff that counts - engine, brakes, handling - is all there in spades.
Old 01-08-09, 01:28 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default Saw & sat in the ZR1... and saw the CTS-V

Just returned, saw TWO ZR1s, they were doing emissions on one, so the sales manager removed the chip so the service guy could hit it... last time I heard that sound (or anything like it) was the Coca Cola 500 at AIR... I had to light a cigarette afterwards

I'm am really impressed wit the vehicle (didn't drive today- snow again) but the Z06 was amazing... Meteor Gray LZ2 listed $78K, they will sell it for $62,808. LT3 for $44K (a 2009!!!).... is the Z06 worth $18K more??... probably not.... but... you get a lot more car too... AND...

... sat in the IS-F BEFORE the Chevy visit... I can say I was more comfortable in the Vette. Is it as refined? No... but more spacious and there's just something about the Vette (especially this pricing) that is growing on me.

CTS-V was sweet, but he's says can't keep 'em on the street, so much torque they just break loose... needs traction system and diffeent shoes...

Keeping the minivan (which the wife wants) sure is eliminating the need for that back seat suddenly...
Old 01-08-09, 02:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

If this is a pure fun car....get the vette dude
Old 01-08-09, 03:13 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
If this is a pure fun car....get the vette dude
+1.. you have much wisdom...
Old 01-08-09, 03:33 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

What? They MUST produce the new Camaro, please....................
Old 01-08-09, 05:32 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

ZR1 selling for 150k list 120k. GM should not allow that to happen. I realize the dealer can use some big profit especially now, but a year from now when it is worth 90k the poor SOB that paid 150k will have a real bad taste in his mouth no matter how good it is. When the SSR came out with a list price in the 40's, the dealers were marking them up by 20k, how would you feel if you were foolish enough to be the first guy on the block with one of them? It is just not good business to gouge the customer, it may seem OK for both parties today, but later there will be resentment.

Quick Reply: Corvette pricing,Camaro arrival update, and GM's future