Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What got you into japanese cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 11:32 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iKenn
My family is asian.
+ 1
Toyotas, Acuras, Lexus's in our garages.
Old 01-08-09, 11:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its funny how I am one of the only people on my street to drive japanese cars. They drive dodge pick ups, hummers, and malibu's. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. There are people a few streets up that have ferrari's and Benz's. I guess I lucked out with the neighbors with the ****ty cars. No eye candy for me
Old 01-08-09, 11:39 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Yes, we Asian loves Japanese cars. When I go to Monterey Park or Arcadia in California, all I see are Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, BMWs, Benzs, and Mazdas. I rarely see GM or Ford or Chrysler vehicles. Also, I love Honda Fit, both old and new ones.
Perhaps it's a cultural thing?...most Asians will only buy Japanese for the most part (not even Korean?), and won't look at anything else (blind loyalty?). I think American car makers have given up marketing to Asians in general. However, I think other ethnic groups such as Hispanic and African-American are more receptive to GM/Ford/Chrysler vehicles than us Asians, and are definitely pushing their marketing monies there.

The reason my family buys Japanese (actually, just Toyota) is because of the discount we get. But in the past, we actually have purchased American cars, and were never stranded (maybe we didn't keep them that long). However, the last one we had, my dad's Dodge Intrepid company vehicle, started to have more issues around the time the lease was up (3rd year).
Old 01-08-09, 11:48 PM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So. Cal. street racing the early days.. 94" on
Every good thing has to start some where.
Old 01-08-09, 11:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Reliability and lots of experience with big, fast, mid 80s Japanese street bikes (Honda & Yamaha).

I've owned a few different marques - got my driver's license in 1977 driving a '68 MB 250, first car I owned was a Fiat 124 sedan, second car was a '79 AMC AMX in 1980 which I also got rid of in 1980 for a Honda 750F. I didn't own another car until 1988 when I bought an AE92 GTS Corolla. Ever since then I've owned Toyota, Scion, or Lexus and occasionally something cheap and domestic like my Pontiac J car and my '88 Chevy Corsica. I've only once been stranded and needed a tow after a new timing belt in a Mk1 MR2 died on me 50 miles from home.
Old 01-08-09, 11:58 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Asians stick together
Old 01-09-09, 04:41 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Mom,Dad and I went to a AACA meet or in Pa. about 1975 and Toyota had the Corona there we picked up a brochure and I had it read it told my father you buy that little unsafe car I will drive my own (1974 Chevy Nova) I read more on the Corona its safety etc. When my 1974 Nova got wrecked I bought a 1976 Toyota Corolla been a Toyota/Lexus guy since.
Old 01-09-09, 04:47 AM
goelise
Pole Position

brother was a Toyota mechanic and bought a Celica RWD, my other brother also bought one and then I did too. We all had RWD Celicas. We started racing them on a track, autocross then wheel to wheel racing. Engines, suspensions were all swapped and I've been a Toyota fan since.

Here is my old roadracing Celica RWD:

here's my other bros car, 83 Celica GTS (RWD) and my Elise:

In fact, I would not own a Lotus Elise unless it had the Toyota powertrain in it.

Last edited by goelise; 01-09-09 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 06:18 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by goelise
brother was a Toyota mechanic and bought a Celica RWD, my other brother also bought one and then I did too. We all had RWD Celicas. We started racing them on a track, autocross then wheel to wheel racing. Engines, suspensions were all swapped and I've been a Toyota fan since.

In fact, I would not own a Lotus Elise unless it had the Toyota powertrain in it.
The same reason I like the Lotus. That is one beauty in red.
Old 01-10-09, 06:35 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I'm asian and my family believes only in asian cars as being dependable
Old 01-10-09, 06:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I got into Toyota's because of American sub par reliability. Decent interiors and solid value.
Old 01-10-09, 06:41 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i always was intrigued by the relentless pursuit of perfection. Even when i was a kid, at the age of 5 i wanted a lexus. I respect fine craftsmanship and the values lexus stands for. (craftsmanship, quality, value, classic timeless styling)

I think its cool that i have 265k on my LS and i have no frets driving to to PA and back (1400 miles) in a 16 year old car. I shouldnt be worried, my LS is a precision machine, unlike alot of others cars...
Old 01-11-09, 12:26 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Had a 88 Honda Civic and it only needed $200 worth of repairs for the 4 year I had it. Bought a 97 Chevy Blazer and it needed over $3k worth of repairs in the 3 years I had it (thankfully, was mostly under warranty). Bought a 2003 Honda Pilot and it needed also $0 worth of repairs (they previous owner did one TSB repair).
Logical conclusion was if I want to have a reliable car (which is 95% of what I look for in a car), then the only option was Japanese. Now have a 2007 Lexus GS 350 RWD Obsidian...
Wish I kept the Pilot though, it was really good in snow...
Old 01-11-09, 02:17 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My stupid brother!! hah at the time my brother was into 240sx and i rode in one and i was like this is pretty cool whats that psshhing sound? Hes like its boost ever since i felt boost i cant get away plus i think american cars are ugly. Dont really like muscle either. But thats just me.
Old 01-11-09, 03:04 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goelise

I'm loving that GTS!!

I started liking the Japanese vehicles when my mother bought a 1994 Camry LE in '95. I was younger but ever since then, we've had nothing but Toyotas. My real love came as a surprise in a 1998 LS400 as my first vehicle. The best vehicle I have ever owned, by far.

Quick Reply: What got you into japanese cars?