Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What got you into japanese cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 03:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to say I was very very proud to be a japanese car fan when the NSX, Supra, and Twin turbo Z' came out. The z and the supra were beasts but the NSX was a bigger event imo. It shook up the supercar world. It showed the guys in milan and stuggart that the cars can be fast and reliable. You can cut the weight and then you wont need 500 hp. I have sen videos where an NSX holds of a ferrari 360, lambo murcielago and gallardo, and the BMW CSL for 2.8 laps out of 3. The car half the power that the murcielago had, but out did the powerhouses with sheer balance, and feather weight
Old 01-11-09, 12:11 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Styling and reliability. My first car was a '89 Cressida Black/Grey leather, I said to myself I'll always be a loyal Toyota customer. When the LS400 rolled out that made it even worse for the competiton. The Lexus brand made a new mark for Luxury setting a world standard. I've always been a Supra, Celica, Corrola, Cressida fan back in the 80's and always followed the reliability of these cars. As long as Toyota/Lexus makes reliable automobiles I'll continue to own a few.
Old 01-11-09, 12:13 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm Japanese....seeing GM and America, I gotta support my pensions.

jk
Old 01-11-09, 12:17 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
My family is asian.
The funny thing is.... i'm in the same scenario
Old 01-11-09, 12:59 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Reliability and low maintenance cost.

I am Asian and I grew up in Asia, but I disagree with the statement that "Asians stick together and therefore, they purchase Japanese cars."

I have many friends from Japan and I personally am not opposed to buying Japanese products. However, there are plenty of older generation Asians who still refuse to buy Japanese cars for the same reason as to why some Jews would not buy anything from Mercedes and BMW.

I am not here to stir any ethnical or racial tensions, only to point out that it's ignorant to say or to think that people are more willing to purchase Japanese cars simply because they're Asians.

Jon
Old 01-11-09, 01:32 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Reliability and low maintenance cost.

I am Asian and I grew up in Asia, but I disagree with the statement that "Asians stick together and therefore, they purchase Japanese cars."

I have many friends from Japan and I personally am not opposed to buying Japanese products. However, there are plenty of older generation Asians who still refuse to buy Japanese cars for the same reason as to why some Jews would not buy anything from Mercedes and BMW.

I am not here to stir any ethnical or racial tensions, only to point out that it's ignorant to say or to think that people are more willing to purchase Japanese cars simply because they're Asians.

Jon

I totally understand and agree.
Old 01-11-09, 06:59 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Mother had nothing but problems with her american cars since her license until the late 90s. She went on a trip to Las Vegas for her honeymoon and they used a 98 Nissan Altima as the rented vehicle. They liked it. Came home and traded in the Ford Winstar she had for a 99 Nissan Altima. Then my stepfather traded in his ford taurus for a 99 Nissan maxima a few months later. 5-6 years down the road, Mom buys a new altima, he trades his 31K Maxima (bought in 99, this was in 2005) for a Dodge Dakota (). My first car was that 99 altima she originally bought. I crashed it 6 months after having my license and was forced into an american car for money reasons. Drove it for 6 months and got my integra. My integra never gave me any problems for the 7 months I owned it, but like the Altima I crashed that too. Then I got a Audi again for money reasons (got it for 600 bucks). Then a year and a few months go by, I go out to New Jersey and buy my GS430, come home and sell the Audi for $1200 bucks. Things are starting to turn out good . Love my GS, loved that bodystyle in general since it's inception and also had a boss who owned a 400. Couldn't be happier and I will stay in the Japanese car segment in the future
Old 01-12-09, 12:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

hope you keep this GS for a while and dont crash it.
Old 01-12-09, 03:45 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Great replies all. As for me, I didn't own a japanese car until 2002, buying a mitsubishi eclipse GS-T. As some will know, this is a DSM- Diamond Star Motors and was built in Normal, Illinois. Yes, a very fast and fun car, but not a reliable one. My first true built in Japan car is my IS300, bought in 2004 and everything has been great, except for the CD changer. As stated I love cars from all the different nations, it is just interesting to see what paths we took to be Lexus/japanese car fans.
Old 01-12-09, 06:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Toyota land cruisers given to my grandpa as a government car back int eh Philippines. My other grandparents used to only drive mercedes, bmw, and jaguars. Then they got a 4 Runner for a winter ca, and have always have at least one Japanese car in their garage, mainly Infiniti qx4's, but never a lexus. My grandpa says that, when he first came to the states, he hated Japanese cars, something having to do with WWII i guess, but now, he drives them because i guess he's learned to forgive and forget
Old 01-12-09, 07:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Grew up with them. Not too many American cars were in the islands when I was younger... apparently their chassis didn't like the humid sea breeze either.
Old 01-12-09, 07:38 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

1964, we were expecting our first child and the Sunbeam Tiger just wasn't going to cut it. A mechanic friend suggested we look at a Toyota Corona, good sized, for the 60s, four door, good reputation for essentially a new make at that time in the U.S. We proceeded to drive it for 20 years before passing it on to our daughter.
Old 01-13-09, 08:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my dad always loved european cars, mercedes, jaguar, vw, etc. i didn't grow up on american muscle like everyone else.
when i got to driving age, i liked the 16v scirocco's, gti's, jetta's.
but then i relized that japanese cars offered more performance, more reliability and better looks for less money than a german car. from then on, it's always been japanese cars. they're also much easier to work on.
if toyota had a turbo diesel truck in this country i would have bought that instead of my dodge.
Old 01-13-09, 09:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Quality.

Our first Japanese car was a 1983 Honda Accord, but my mom had just come from a 1979 Chevy Chevette (I don't need to add facts). The Accord proved to be a reliable little vehicle compared to the Chevette. Although I had a 1990 BMW 325i convertible that I also very much liked, it didn't get the pounding that my RX300 did over its time in Mexico. And having seen other vehicles in my time in Mexico City (American, European and Japanese), my little RX300 held up very well. My uncle's garage always had some horror story, so I am indeed thankful I wound up getting the RX300.
Old 01-13-09, 02:14 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

The Z cars Owned 2 of them and both were fantastic. . . . the turbos made them all the better

Quick Reply: What got you into japanese cars?