Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has anyone been disappointed with the IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 12:48 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've enjoyed the IS-F numerous times with my friend who owns one. He encourages me constantly to bring it to its limits. I love pretty much every aspect of it. Nothing is short to me but to each his own right?
Old 01-09-09, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't own one, but reviewed one and had a fairly long test-drive. Very nice car except for two things. First, the torque all comes on with a bang between 3600-4000 RPM; there's not a whole lot below that, and, Second, the suspension on my early-production test car was virually track-grade in its stiffnesss (I understand Lexus softened it a little on later versions)...it was just too harsh on rougher roads and made the car jump up and down like a porpoise over frost heaves, although it wasn't too bad on smooth roads.
Old 01-09-09, 02:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I used to think this too. The other day I was driving my Supra and made a lazy shift into 5th that jerked the car brutally. I realized I've never had that problem with the F, even though the transmission in manual mode works just like a manual shift with the advantage it won't let you do stupid things like over-rev on clutch drop (ever accidentally shift into 1st at 40+ mph?) or lug the engine by trying to drive a gear too high for the speed you are driving. Plus, I've never been able to shift a car's manual gearbox in 100 msec. Ever. And the F does it every time without fail.

In fact, I'd say the transmission is one of the best reasons for getting the F over the competition because it gives you best of both worlds - D for those times when you want the wife to drive home, and M for those times you want very direct control.
+1000

Great description Lobuxracer....couldn't agree more.
Old 01-09-09, 02:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your disappointed, give it 10 years.

AMG has been around too long.
Old 01-09-09, 02:51 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if your disappointed, give it 10 years.

AMG has been around too long.
Gotta agree with that.

If memory serves me right the first AMG C-class was a huge disappointment, not even close to the M3 in any aspect, except maybe the price...

The IS F in comparison is a much much better first attempt.
Old 01-09-09, 03:13 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you consider steering feel/road connectivity to be important, therefore the IS-F may not be the car for you. However, I suggest you try the M3 and C63 and then try the IS-F again. You may end up liking the IS-F's steering after trying the other two cars, or you may end up confirming that the steering feel is a big deal.

I know everyone here has a well educated opinion but driving these cars for yourself is the only way to determine which car is right for you.
Old 01-09-09, 04:08 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I recommend putting the car in sport mode immediately when you start it up. It will (IME) dramatically change the feel of the car. It accelerates with less of a push on the pedal, and feels a LOT more responsive.
That's actually the question I wanted to ask. When you tested it, did you put it in sport mode? It changes the steering assist, throttle response, and gear shift algorithm.

I have a friend that works for Lexus and had the opportunity to keep the F for a week, and they had the same exact feedback as the OP. It felt very Lexus like, almost too laid back and lacking feel. And then I found out that they didn't know about the sport mode.

I'd have to agree with the OP that when you don't engage sport mode, the F is extremely Lexus-like. But like other fellow F owners, I'm actually delighted that we have the choice to go from civilized to beastly at the flick of switch. The sport mode F far more responsive and sports-like. It makes me wonder why I have to switch it on manually every time I start the car!

So to the OP.... I suggest that you test drive it again with sport mode (If in fact it was off the 1st time) and post your updated comments. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck!
Old 01-09-09, 05:32 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I went in for a test drive and had a check ready to pay cash. I was very disappointed with the car. It is tiny inside, rides like a truck, and has no low speed torque. I bought a G37 sedan and with the extra $27000 I plan to wait for next year's M50. Lexus missed the mark in all areas with the IS-F. The CTS-V is a good lesson on getting it right. The IS350 was a poor platform to start with and the -F execution made it even worse.
Steve
Old 01-09-09, 05:35 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Let's just say I have never been impressed by the IS-F. I think it is not worth $20k more than IS350. I think it is worth $50k.
Old 01-09-09, 06:05 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
That's actually the question I wanted to ask. When you tested it, did you put it in sport mode? It changes the steering assist, throttle response, and gear shift algorithm.

I have a friend that works for Lexus and had the opportunity to keep the F for a week, and they had the same exact feedback as the OP. It felt very Lexus like, almost too laid back and lacking feel. And then I found out that they didn't know about the sport mode.

I'd have to agree with the OP that when you don't engage sport mode, the F is extremely Lexus-like. But like other fellow F owners, I'm actually delighted that we have the choice to go from civilized to beastly at the flick of switch. The sport mode F far more responsive and sports-like. It makes me wonder why I have to switch it on manually every time I start the car!

So to the OP.... I suggest that you test drive it again with sport mode (If in fact it was off the 1st time) and post your updated comments. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck!

i'll go back and see how different it is...
Old 01-09-09, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

to me, this picture says part of the problem with lexus and 'performance', and in particular LOOKING the part. this particular picture with a darker car is actually one of the most flattering I've seen, but that front wheel gap is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

i see E350's and heck even 328i's both with sport packages that have PERFECT wheel fitment.

lexus can put big wheels and skinny tires on a car, but it looks all wrong when you STILL have a big wheel gap.

hey i admit my miata has a big front wheel gap but of course it's only a 25k car, and sits low and is often driven by old farts like me so they want it a more comfy ride and not TOO low to get in and out of.

but besides wheel gap, the overall look of the is-f to me says 'boy racer' more than grown up sports car, but maybe that's subjective.

but as has been said, as a FIRST real sporty car, hat's off to lexus - it's a very good start.
Old 01-09-09, 08:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Im only dissapointed that there is no conventional 6MT.
Old 01-09-09, 08:35 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't own one, but reviewed one and had a fairly long test-drive. Very nice car except for two things. First, the torque all comes on with a bang between 3600-4000 RPM; there's not a whole lot below that, and, Second, the suspension on my early-production test car was virually track-grade in its stiffnesss (I understand Lexus softened it a little on later versions)...it was just too harsh on rougher roads and made the car jump up and down like a porpoise over frost heaves, although it wasn't too bad on smooth roads.
Take a look at a dyno taken from the MHP IS-F thread. This is a before and after but if you look lower in the RPM band there is virtually no difference. You will notice there is no spike/bang in TQ.

As to the suspension. This is the first I've heard of them softening the suspension somewhere during the production run. I have one of the first off the boat last year (delivered in Midwest) and I completely agree the suspension porpoises too much especially, as you say, on frost heaved Midwest roads. Any other road than that though it has not been a problem.

An interesting note: everyone that sits in the seats love the way the seats feel/hold them. *shrug* They are good but not great IMO.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Im only dissapointed that there is no conventional 6MT.
I can't say I ever miss that. As Lobuxracer says the 8 speed is really sweet (especially with the different modes available) in either full attack or just cruising mode. But I appreciate that some people just can't get over the lack of manual. Don't agree... but appreciate it.
Old 01-09-09, 10:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I went in for a test drive and had a check ready to pay cash. I was very disappointed with the car. It is tiny inside, rides like a truck, and has no low speed torque. I bought a G37 sedan and with the extra $27000 I plan to wait for next year's M50. Lexus missed the mark in all areas with the IS-F. The CTS-V is a good lesson on getting it right. The IS350 was a poor platform to start with and the -F execution made it even worse.
Steve
What? The IS-F has 100lbs more torque than the G37 sedan you bought. It has nearly 100 more lbs of torque than the M3 and it has more than the RS4. Only the C63 has more in its class. As for interior room, the IS front is fine and on par with the Germans in this class. We all know rear seat room is a joke. People don't buy the IS or IS-F for rear seat room, its not a priority. I am a fan of the G37 and I find it to maybe be the best "Value" in the luxury market around 35k, its a great vehicle. Its nowhere close to being an IS-F nor any future M50.

You might think Lexus missed the mark but at least they shot at the target. Infiniti doesn't have a car in this class.

EVO gave the car 5 stars, the same as the M3 and its their top rating. Top Gear in their review said it was a 4 way tie.

I'm sorry Steve but I think you missed the mark in your assessment.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-09-09 at 11:12 PM.

Old 01-09-09, 11:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Steve
The IS F was obviously not the car you were looking for. If it had been, you would have ended up with an M3, a C63 AMG or a RS4 instead. To say you ended up with a G37 and state that the F lacked torque is flat out ridiculous. People that truly want a super sedan know that the four players are the 3 Germans and the F. I am not going to debate which of the four cars is "best", they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the F is a solid competitor. Read the reviews of the F, it competes in all areas and brings the Lexus luxury and reliability as well.

To state that the F misses the mark in all areas, clearly shows that you have no understanding of a super sedan.

The CTS-V is an amazing car, but again in a totally different category. But lets wait and see how it holds up, reliability and dependability wise, before declaring it the second coming.

Quick Reply: Has anyone been disappointed with the IS-F?