Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has anyone been disappointed with the IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 10:08 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone been disappointed with the IS-F?

I love the looks, I love the power, the sound it makes at higher rpm, the reliability (assuming it's reliable as an 2IS), the white carbon fiber inserts...but the way it drove...it just felt like another Lexus to me.

[img][/img]
I test drove a Neiman-Marcus IS-F last fall and I was kinda disappointed by the way it drove. It wasn't like "OMG I'm driving a sports sedan!" sensation...it had boat loads of power, it was extremely agile, it stopped on a dime...it did everything brilliantly but something felt missing.

Hate to say it but the 335i I drove before that had more (puts on flame suit)"sensation" of driving...I probably am the only crazy one that felt that way but did anyone else feel that way? My friend test drove this exact same car and told me that I'm "crazy". Tempted to go back to Lexus and test drive it again.

PS: If you haven't driven one, I highly suggest you test drive one.
Old 01-08-09, 10:11 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove one on the track before and I have to disagree with you.

How hard did you push during your test drive? Below 4000 RPM (or was it 3500...) you are right, it felt just like another Lexus, which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, once the engine revs above it then the whole car comes alive.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 01-08-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 10:11 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem I had with it was the lack of exhaust sound, the AMG kills it in that department. And the fact that I have had to wait 11 months at my dealer.(Granted, I may have been able to get one quicker from another place but I am loyal to my dealer)
Old 01-08-09, 10:13 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by ffpower
I wish I could have done that. I live in Indi-effin'-any and all we have are straight flat roads. The only time I really got to test it's suspension were 4 on/off ramps....maybe that's why

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
The only problem I had with it was the lack of exhaust sound, the AMG kills it in that department. And the fact that I have had to wait 11 months at my dealer.(Granted, I may have been able to get one quicker from another place but I am loyal to my dealer)
really? I loved how the exhaust note changed. jeez, 11months wait in Japan still???
Old 01-08-09, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will have a more in depth review of the is-f myself soon, but overall, yes i agree with you. the isf is a very nice car, and for lexus' first attempt to get a crack on the m3 and c63, i give them big thumbup, coz' the car is fast, and it can run on the track

but at the end of the day, still felt like we are driving another lexus, despite the stiffer suspension, tighter steering wheel, and loud exhaust. not only me (i stayed quiet the whole time), but even my wife said the same about the car

on the other hand, the c63 and m3 drive quite a bit different from their c350 and 335 brothers. it feels different. when it comes to a car like this where you want to have the very last piece of fun, it makes you think
Old 01-08-09, 10:17 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

M3 drives different from the regular 3er.

C63 drives different from the regular C.

IS F drive the same as the regular IS?

Man, it'll be great if that's the case since I have a 2IS...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 01-08-09 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

How hard did you push during your test drive? Below 4000 RPM (or was it 3500...) you are right, it felt just like another Lexus, which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, once the engine revs above it then the whole car comes alive.
on the track running is a pretty different thing. from all the reviews (and my personal test drives on the track), yup the car can run no problem

however for those getting this car, we don't drive like an idiots on the road, so the road driving experience becomes pretty different. and maybe that's something where the c63 and m3 excel a bit.

to certain extend, it's like comparing the gs460 to the 550, or the ls460 to the 750. on the track, those cars run pretty neck to neck. but on the road driving, if i want performance and confident feeling, i would really choose bmw
Old 01-08-09, 10:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
really? I loved how the exhaust note changed.
The F does sound pretty great once it opens up beyond 3800 rpm's....but the C63 sounds like a complete monster right from the moment you fire it up.
Old 01-08-09, 10:21 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Oh ya...and to the original question....not one little bit.
Old 01-08-09, 10:24 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
so the road driving experience becomes pretty different.
Like how?

I am just curious here. Since the regular driving doesn't push the car to the limit then how can a high performance car like a M3 and C63 "excels" under such condition?

Let me guess... It "feels" better?
Old 01-08-09, 10:29 PM
kit cat

i will have a more in depth review of the is-f myself soon, but overall, yes i agree with you. the isf is a very nice car, and for lexus' first attempt to get a crack on the m3 and c63, i give them big thumbup, coz' the car is fast, and it can run on the track

but at the end of the day, still felt like we are driving another lexus, despite the stiffer suspension, tighter steering wheel, and loud exhaust. not only me (i stayed quiet the whole time), but even my wife said the same about the car

on the other hand, the c63 and m3 drive quite a bit different from their c350 and 335 brothers. it feels different. when it comes to a car like this where you want to have the very last piece of fun, it makes you think
good to know someone thinks the same. I wish I could put it in words...everything felt sportier, but something was missing. As you said, I give a big thumbs up for Lexus for this.

on the track running is a pretty different thing. from all the reviews (and my personal test drives on the track), yup the car can run no problem

however for those getting this car, we don't drive like an idiots on the road, so the road driving experience becomes pretty different. and maybe that's something where the c63 and m3 excel a bit.

to certain extend, it's like comparing the gs460 to the 550, or the ls460 to the 750. on the track, those cars run pretty neck to neck. but on the road driving, if i want performance and confident feeling, i would really choose bmw
I really wish I could have test driven it outside of the public street b/c it was hard to push it on the streets. The IS-F drove like a normal Lexus on the streets, but I wonder how it'll do when pushed...I wish we had Taste of Lexus in Indiana...

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The F does sound pretty great once it opens up beyond 3800 rpm's....but the C63 sounds like a complete monster right from the moment you fire it up.

Oh ya...and to the original question....not one little bit.
glad to hear you're happy with your IS-F! B/c I would LOVE to have one when I can afford it.
Old 01-08-09, 10:30 PM
kit cat

Like how?

I am just curious here. Since the regular driving doesn't push the car to the limit then how can a high performance car like a M3 and C63 "excels" under such condition?

hey now, don't mock my excellent review jk .
I'd like to know as well b/c I only got to drive the IS-F on the streets.
Old 01-08-09, 10:35 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default D Motor C63 vs. IS F

The Mercedes is agile and a lot of fun, the Lexus is slightly more sporty and direct
Source: http://thepassionatepursuit.com/2008...-mercedes-c63/

The findings of this comparison is very similar to my impression after driven both cars. Worth a watch.
Old 01-08-09, 10:35 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I really wish I could have test driven it outside of the public street b/c it was hard to push it on the streets. The IS-F drove like a normal Lexus on the streets, but I wonder how it'll do when pushed...I wish we had Taste of Lexus in Indiana...

glad to hear you're happy with your IS-F! B/c I would LOVE to have one when I can afford it.
As to the first part of your statement....that is one of the biggest appeals of the IS F. It does drive very civilized and refined when at low speeds in regular drive mode. Exactly what you would expect from a Lexus. If you turn off the traction control and switch to manual mode you can have an incredible amount of fun with the car and really show it's performance side.

To the second part....thanks man!
There are no "bad" cars when deciding between a C63, M3, RS4 or IS F. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Old 01-08-09, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Like how?

you can call it feel, but i put it as overall driving experience on street driving. street driving doesn't mean cruising 35mph on local street and 65mph on freeway. you can be pushing the car a bit on the twisties, you can be going 100+ on freeways, etc...

and again like i said, i don't deny that the isf can run. i have run it and i can vouch that the car can run. but to me, just as important, is the driving dynamic and road feel the 90% of the time when i am rolling on the road. i raced in my ls460l before, and yes the handling of that huge tank smoked the 3 series, but the ls460l was thrown left and right too

just my 2 cents anyway

Quick Reply: Has anyone been disappointed with the IS-F?