Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

31 flavors of GTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 11:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 31 flavors of GTR

I was reading up on the Nissan GTR's history recently and learned that over the long period of time the car was produced that they made several different versions . They had base GTR's, GTR V spec, GTR v spev II Nur, GTR M spec, GTR V spec N1, and the rare GTR 400 R Nismo. I personally was not aware of the M spec or the N1. Pretty cool stuff. I was wondering if you guys know of any rare GTR's that i missed.

I will try to break it down. My memory is slipping though

1. GTR V spec II Nur is a special edition GTR with upgraded suspension , and the N1 GTR race engine and was named for the famous Nurburgring

2.GTR M spec- This is the GTR that I think many of us would like for daily use. Its the Vspec with heated leather seats, and upgraded suspension ( better ride . suspension was to provide "ripple control"

3. GTR V spec N1- this bad *** GTR was set up racing purposes. Much like an Evo RS its totally stripped. This car has the fmaous N1 race engine but to reduce weight has no steroe, ABS, A/C, or rear wipers

4. Nismo 400R- This is a rare bird. Less than 50 made . It had the RBX-GT2 engine with upgraded exhaust,polished ports, better turbo and intercooler, CF parts, improved aero, and a twin plate clutch. It was also stripped for reduced weight

5. GTR Autech- This was a 4 door R33 that was created by Nissan and its tuning branch Autech ( I was only familiar with Nismo) to celebtae Nissan 40th Birthday

6. Nissan GTR Nismo " Evolution"- This GTR was created for homologation purposes for Group A racing. They upgraded the aerodynamics and the cooling ducts to the intercooler.
A little over 500 of these were sold

I am sure I am leaving out details but just wanted to share Godzilla's many flavors and history. The new V spec is in the mail. Its being released in Japan in 1 month. That means it will hit US shores in approximately 1 year

I will buying a GTR within the next two years assuming things remain decent financially so I am excited to learn as much about the history of the car as possible. I cant wait to dust my friend in his 911 turbo . I will not be trying to buy the V spec. Its to damn exspensive and I will need to save my lunch money as it is to get the damn base GTR.

the piture shown is of the Nismo 400R. I think its one of the rarest GTRs. Not sure so dont hold me to it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-08-09 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 11:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Only reason why I know the GTR had many different versions is because of Grand Turismo for PS2 & Forza games for 360. lol something seems so wrong with that statement.
Old 01-08-09, 11:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I only remeber the Vspec. I dont even have those old games anymore. I am a PS3 GT5 prologue freak
Old 01-09-09, 12:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never knew there were this many versions....
Old 01-09-09, 05:30 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rarest GT-Rs are
R33 GT-R LM (1 was ever made)

R34 GT-R Z-Tune (20 were made)
Old 01-09-09, 05:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

R34 GTR Z tune was not sold at the dealerships like the more relatively standard GTRs. Its an amazing machine and worth the 170K price if you consider the hardcore exclusivity, but you had to go see Nismo directly for the vehicle. the Z tune is one of those cars that we will see auctioned off in our 50's at some high end auction for 750000 dollars. These are the collector cars of tommorrow. Our generation will be buying import classics not the typical muscle cars like today. The GTR's, evo, STI, supra, etc will be the collector muscle cars of the future.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-09-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 05:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I never knew there were this many versions....
me either. Thats why I wanted to post and share the info. I guess it makes sense because the car was produced over such a wide time period they had to maintain interest in te car by creating some special models. Plus with Nissans racing history the absolutely needed to create some homologation cars
Old 01-09-09, 06:06 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember racing with the R33 GTR LM in the older gran turismo. though the wheel fitment could be better...
Old 01-09-09, 06:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen so many tuned GTR from Mines , MCR, ets. But to see this many that came from Nissn is an eye opener. We never had these models sold on US soil so most of us probably didnt know there were this many GTRs from Nissan
Old 01-10-09, 02:00 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400r is a fav of mine. i loved the rims so much that I found a set off of an s13 for my g20t

Old 01-10-09, 02:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
R34 GTR Z tune was not sold at the dealerships like the more relatively standard GTRs. Its an amazing machine and worth the 170K price if you consider the hardcore exclusivity, but you had to go see Nismo directly for the vehicle. the Z tune is one of those cars that we will see auctioned off in our 50's at some high end auction for 750000 dollars. These are the collector cars of tommorrow. Our generation will be buying import classics not the typical muscle cars like today. The GTR's, evo, STI, supra, etc will be the collector muscle cars of the future.
The 400R is practically a R33 Z-tune

Great post, good info, though I already was familiar with all the versions you mentioned, and not through neither GT nor Forza.
Old 01-10-09, 02:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baddis es
400r is a fav of mine. i loved the rims so much that I found a set off of an s13 for my g20t

x2...something about the R33 gets me, and I liked the 400R more than the Z-tune for some odd reason...

Is that Brian Lara in your avatar?
Old 01-10-09, 09:12 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea the r33 is my fav as well. And yes that's lara...love my cricket!!!!!
Old 01-11-09, 12:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

My personal favorite is the R34 because of the more aggresive styling. Then it would be the R33 and the R32 last. I know the R34 is the heaviest, but its the baddest imo. They perfected it over a very long period of time. Imagine getting one of the last R34 GTR V spec II Nur. That thing was tweaked and perfected
Old 01-11-09, 11:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
My personal favorite is the R34 because of the more aggresive styling. Then it would be the R33 and the R32 last. I know the R34 is the heaviest, but its the baddest imo. They perfected it over a very long period of time. Imagine getting one of the last R34 GTR V spec II Nur. That thing was tweaked and perfected
Actually the R33 is the heaviest.

Quick Reply: 31 flavors of GTR