Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Emerald
there are people who cannot afford to go out and buy a new car and shouldnt be forced to do so.
they're not being forced to, are they?

i actually think this is an EXCELLENT idea. i'm not sure why you dislike the idea.

give people an incentive to get old clunkers off the road, and help the auto industry - why not?

Any REAL auto enthusiasts would be against this
why?
Old 01-09-09, 08:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

The point is that adding this scrapping program doesn't change what already exists. You already could theoretically sell the car privately, donate it, or send it to a junkyard. What this program would have to do is make it monetarily MORE advantageous than existing programs. That's what I told them in Mexico City, to give a credit or something else, but they couldn't afford to do it.

Keep in mind since OBD2 came into being around the 1996 model year, the issues with emissions aren't as great as they once were. You have a lot more cleaner cars on the road and that's just going to get better over time with new technologies and also cleaner fuels. That's what I saw happen in Mexico City during my 6 years there, though it's going at a slower rate then other places on the planet because of the number of vehicles, geographic setting (it's in a u-shaped mountainous area), poor public transportation and the poverty level, but it's better now than at the turn of the century.
Old 01-09-09, 08:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i actually think this is an EXCELLENT idea. i'm not sure why you dislike the idea.

give people an incentive to get old clunkers off the road, and help the auto industry - why not?

why?
No, they're not being forced to. The whole issue I think is whether we want our tax money going to buy the clunkers. I don't see a problem either, but I don't know how many customers they're going to get unless they make it more advantageous than what is already out there.
Old 01-09-09, 10:47 PM
LexFather

(reads Pelosi behind it, sighs.......)

They are wasting valuable time and energy on this type of garbage bill (pun intended). This isn't going to spur crap. (pun intended)

They want to spur sales, LOWER TAXES or how about NO SALES TAX if you by an American vehicle.

Morons.

Old 01-09-09, 11:19 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

There is already a state program in Texas: http://www.driveacleanmachine.org/

Only people under a certain income level can get money for their polluters though... check the link
Old 01-10-09, 03:42 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The idea behind this program is to promote the US auto industry.

Like everyone in America can run out and buy a new car to help the economy? We all wanna upgrade things in life...but reality puts normal people in check.

We'd all be posting on the Lambo and Ferrari forums if life were that easy.

- It's not my job to 'help' an auto maker: Make a good product and people will buy it.
- Theres already several PRIVATE business models that address the issue of any unwanted cars.
- This puts the government in direct competition with private business....
- Im not a fan of Big Gov.
- The impact on Auto restorations would be huge and drive prices up to where its not a hobby that anyone can enjoy.

On a personal level: I like going to the pick n pull

why?
Theres a Big difference between a Lexus Fan and an Auto Enthusiast

Last edited by DriftGirl; 01-10-09 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 11:38 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a state doesnt have emissions standards.....they have no right to complain about car exhaust fumes, etc...

I love and respect U.S. Automotive history and it breaks my heart.....
Well, that good and all... but it seems like California is the big bad wolf when it comes to emission standards. Everyone else in the country has to suffer because of their dumbass standards. There are DOZENS of cars out there that are MORE fuel efficient than anything we currently have in this country... so, why do we have them? Because they don't meet the retarded CA emissions standards for whatever reason (diesel)... True, their current standards have allowed for cars to get more efficient, but they are also limiting allowing more efficient cars to come here. Good thing about Florida is that if I wanted to import a more efficient car from around the world, I could... Good luck with that in California...

Back OT...
Old 01-10-09, 05:56 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this the same law where the gov't will give you $10,000 to buy a Domestic 3 car if you turn in your 10 year old + car? That we discussed back here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ar-owners.html

If so big deal, you must make under 25k a year to qualify. I'd still rather have a 10 year old civic than a brand new focus...
Old 01-10-09, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

- It's not my job to 'help' an auto maker: Make a good product and people will buy it.
-
How about when they make a good product and people STILL don't buy it?

That is becoming more and more the case with some newer Ford and GM products....just as it was with Hyundai and Kia for several years, before people's eyes were opened.