Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 11:34 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program

Info via SEMA..........

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!
Call: 202/225-0100
Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

Talking Points
Oppose the Use of U.S. Taxpayer Dollars for Cash for Clunkers

• I am [calling/writing] to urge lawmakers not to include a “Cash for Clunkers” provision in the economic stimulus bill. Owners who turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a "minimal" payment to purchase a new car. This is a misguided attempt to spur car sales and claim that the country’s air quality or fleet fuel mileage is being improved.

• “Cash for Clunkers” programs threaten enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects. The programs also risk destroying classic, historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage.

• Cars turned in for scrappage often barely run, or are rarely-driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy or emissions.

• “Cash for Clunkers” programs will reduce the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by low-income drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart and other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise money.

• “Cash for Clunkers” ignores better policy options. If Congress wants to act, support for repair and upgrade is a better choice and a win-win for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and repair shops. Significant emissions and fuel economy improvements can be achieved in older vehicles through relatively simple and inexpensive means: repaired/replaced exhaust systems, tune-ups, etc.

• We hope we can count on you to reject “Cash for Clunkers.” Thank you for your consideration on this very important matter.

Please send a quick note and/or a copy of your message to Speaker Pelosi to:
E-mail: briand@sema.org
Fax: 202/783-6024
Old 01-09-09, 11:42 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now taxpayers are going to be on the hook for people who want to dump their old cars? When will the madness end!?!!?

Pelosi needs to really shut up. Sorry for the strong language, but I'm getting fed up.
Old 01-09-09, 12:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Interesting.

This kind of me reminds me of something that goes here in Dade County (where Miami is located). They have recycling program here and recently they gave us these large blue garbage cans to put stuff that needs to be recycled into. Nice idea, BUT I already give my cans, plastic and anything else to a kid who lives nearby who then turns in the stuff to someone for a little extra pocket change. This recycling program thus competes with a lot of other small time recyclers who depend on such business. I'd rather have my trash going to this kid to help him learn some work responsibility and earn some $$$ than into the paws of the government.

The worst madness of I have seen with clunkers doesn't go to this Cash for Clunkers program. It goes to the insanity that I had to live through in Mexico City where after a car turns 8 years old, you can no longer drive it one day M-F and also one Saturday a month, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoy_No_Circula (that also was an attempt, though the government denies it, to spur the purchase of newer vehicles)
Old 01-09-09, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I can see some merit in it. Too many people are running around with worn-out clunkers, especially in states and counties that don't have periodic vehicle safety and emissions tests. Many of them are not only an eyesore, but smoke up the air around them with pollution and can have potentially dangerous problems with brakes, steering, suspension, tires, etc....
Old 01-09-09, 02:03 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will also probably include ANTIQUE CARS this should not be done at all. I remember some where this was tried and it never flew.
Old 01-09-09, 02:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

The only thing that I can see is if they give a better offer in $$$ than the currently available options on the market, including private sale (market value).
Old 01-09-09, 02:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Last time I vacationed in Mexico 2 years ago, I couldn't believe the number of gross polluter cars running around. I can see the merit of programs that reduce the number of these older high polluting vehicles from the roads.
Old 01-09-09, 03:03 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

They have this program in CA already although I wonder if it has been put on hold due to the budget problems.
Old 01-09-09, 03:15 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Its a horrible idea.

Every state has emissions standards that all cars must follow in order to be tabbed.

Plus, there are people who cannot afford to go out and buy a new car and shouldnt be forced to do so.

Very sad day.I never thought US car Makers would coozy up to the tree hugger types....

Any REAL auto enthusiasts would be against this
Old 01-09-09, 03:27 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Not every state has emissions control. Florida doesn't...

Also... It's not a HORRIBLE idea, but it's not a good one either...
Old 01-09-09, 03:46 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

If a state doesnt have emissions standards.....they have no right to complain about car exhaust fumes, etc...

I love and respect U.S. Automotive history and it breaks my heart.....
Old 01-09-09, 04:24 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

The end goal is worthy, but their methods getting there are flawed. To spur spending, the government should either a) decrease taxes on car purchases, b) offer no interest loans, or c) become huge consumers themselves, upgrading/replacing the entire government fleet with new (electric) vehicles.

Basically handle this the same way the military handles competition for next generation jet fighters.

Regardless, their stimulus plan needs to DIRECTLY lead to more purchases. All the INDIRECT crap they've been shelling out money for to date does NOT guarantee to spur the economy.
Old 01-09-09, 06:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It might help ti get the trashy cars off the highways and off some front lawns in some areas
Old 01-09-09, 06:07 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so where do we draw the line?
Old 01-09-09, 06:48 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

IIRC if a state does not have emission testing, it will not receive federal highway money.

Quick Reply: Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program