Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Jaguar XFR Official Thread (Updated)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 11:37 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19psi
they're not tata's. yes tata owns them now but believe me, i take these cars apart every day, there are no tata parts on them. it's like saying we're driving around in very expensive toyota's. well.... except we are, whereas jaguar does not use any tata parts at all as opposed to our beloved lexus's which share many key parts with other toyota's.
Got sensor or humor?

Old 02-20-09, 12:48 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh it's kinda hard to get the proper tone when reading on ehre sometimes!
Old 02-20-09, 04:59 PM
LexFather

Old 02-20-09, 05:00 PM
LexFather

http://www.motortrend.com/road....html

Highlights:

You know you're suffering from hp-war battle fatigue when your first reaction to the news the Jaguar XFR's all-new, supercharged 5.0L direct-injection V-8 develops 510 hp is a faintly disappointed "Oh..." It might outgun the 500-hp BMW M5 and the 507-hp Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, but it comes up short against Cadillac's mighty 556-hp CTS-V and Audi's head-banging 572-hp RS6. We're here to tell you, however, that sheer horsepower ain't everything. Just point the new XFR at your favorite stretch of gnarly two-lane, nail the gas, and you'll soon see what we mean.

In naturally aspirated form the new 5.0L develops 385 hp at 6500 rpm and 380 lb-ft at 3500 rpm, a useful 23% increase in power and 12% increase in torque over the naturally aspirated 4.2, which will continue as the entry-level XF powertrain here in the U.S. The supercharged version features a Roots-type twin-vortex system blower with dual intercoolers and delivers those 510 hp from 6000 to 6500 rpm, while max torque is 461lb-ft from 2500 rpm to 5500 rpm, 21% and 11% increases over the supercharged 4.2. Jaguar claims the XFR will sprint from 0-to-60 mph in 4.7 sec and nail the standing quarter in 13.1 sec.

On paper, the XFR is a few ticks slower than all its major rivals. On the road, however, it's a different story. Where the RS6 and E63 are tightly wound, join-the-dots cars that sprint to the apex of a turn with a ferocious burst of power, but need to be settled, turned, and aimed before you pull the trigger and sprint to the next apex, the loose-limbed XFR sashays through the turns with the grace of a big cat running down a fast-moving gazelle.

Crisp turn-in is helped by steering that's 10% quicker than the standard XF's -- yet still retains its lovely, delicate feel -- and the new, electronically controlled active differential, which can vary its locking torque between 0% and 90%. Despite 30%-stiffer spring rates, 1 mm-thicker stabilizer bars front and rear, and standard 20-in. low-profile tires, the XFR also rides better than our XF Supercharged long-termer. The secret sauce is the variable rate magneto-rheological shocks, which sample body motions and steering inputs up to 100 times a second and individual wheel positions 500 times a second, as well as throttle and braking inputs, and adjust accordingly. Only the Caddy CTS-V, which employs similar damper technology, comes close to matching the Jaguar's demeanor.

The ZF 6HP28 six speed auto has been upgraded to handle the extra torque from the new V8s, and shifts 10% faster. Selecting Dynamic Mode, via a button on the center console, sharpens the big cat's claws further: The shocks respond faster and firmer, the throttle response is quickened, and the transmission will allow the engine to nuzzle the 6800-rpm rev limiter without upshifting. Dynamic Mode is best left for the track or smooth roads, as the basic chassis setup is so good you tend to notice the sharper vertical body motions more than any increase in speed point to point.

Jaguar dealers will soon start taking orders for the XFR. Base sticker will be around $80,000. That undercuts both M5 and E63 by up to $8000, though it's $20,000 more than the hugely impressive CTS-V. The Germans have pretty much ruled this particular sport sedan segment for a couple of decades now. But first America, and now Britain, have delivered worthy challengers to the established order. If that sounds like a comparison worth doing, you're right. We'll be rounding up all four (the RS6, sadly, remains a Europe-only model for now) and putting them to the test just as soon as we can. Stay tuned.

Old 02-21-09, 12:11 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Jag didn't go all "cheapo" w/ the headlights, that would be a looker from all sides (the front's not bad, it just could look a whole lot better).
Old 02-21-09, 09:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looks nice, but I would expect more . 4.7 0- 60 is barely faster than an IS350 or an EVO.
Old 02-22-09, 07:24 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, this car looks very nice. The interior takes the cake. One of my friends has a XF; at first, I thought the car was going to be a disappointment. I actually think the car looks better than my CLS. I also think a lot people are not give Jaq a chance. On a number of occasions, the XF is probably a better car than most of the hater of the car actually drive.

How sweet is it to say you have a 500hp car.
Old 02-23-09, 05:06 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Very good and sharp looking. But it seems like no sedan could break the 4.0second 0-60 mark.
I think the new Cadillac CTS-V comes very close.
Old 02-23-09, 06:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Such a beautiful car! A wolf in sheeps clothing.. I love the CTS-V over all of these super saloons though.. 556hp 4door Z06 Vette.