Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Time to Re-think some Automotive Reliability Trends.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Time to Re-think some Automotive Reliability Trends.

I just got done going through the reliability articles, graphs, charts, and tables in my 2009 issue of the Consumer Reports Best & Worst guide for new cars (it comes out every January...previous November versions deal with the new 2009's but don't have the latest reliability data).

It appears that, after several years with more or less the same reliability rankings, some interesting changes have come about in the last year or so. I won't go into all the details, but will briefly discuss the more significant ones.

Most notable has been Mercedes-Benz's attempts to improve its quality level...it now (finally) seems to be paying off, just as Hyundai's did about 8-9 years ago. Six M-B models are now average or above in reliability....after years of being in the tank. (I can remember, 20 years ago, M-B had some of the best cars in the world, and then lost it in the 1990's).

Many Ford models, outside of a few trucks/SUVs are also looking very good.....overall, they lead their GM and Chrysler competition and are up with some of the better Japanese brands. I'm still not impressed with a lot of lower-line Ford interiors/hardware, but they are becoming reliable and staying out of the shop.

The previously troublesome Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 SUV's have also improved in the last year, and are now recommended. And, Toyota has apparantly solved some of the problems with the Camry V6, Tundra V8 AWD, and Lexus GS AWD models....likewise, they now have average repair records and are now recommended.

GM still has a mixed bag. The new Chevy Malibu has done pretty well in the first year, but the new Cadillac CTS, just like the old one, has been below average.....unreliability has plagued Cadillacs, particularly the Catera/CTS line, for quite some time.

Chrysler is still also a disappointment, with roughly two-thirds of their models still remaining below average in reliability (one look at how many of them are built will show you why).

And, of course, Land Rover is still the industry's prime example of unreliability, remaining at the very bottom of the overall brand-list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-10-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 07:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

its about time . Still to little to late for me though.
Old 01-10-09, 08:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

from what i have read, the quality of the s, e, and cls have improved quite a bit, though i still think they have more to improve. lexus quality has degraded imho, and it's pretty noticeable i'd add.
Old 01-10-09, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to be honest that I am not thrilled that my dash is coming out for the 2nd time this monday. Other than that the car is great and the service even better. I guess because you have had a few lexus rides you may be able to notice this change. All I know is they are better than infiniti
Attached Thumbnails Time to Re-think some Automotive Reliability Trends.-6868020051_large.jpg  
Old 01-11-09, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
from what i have read, the quality of the s, e, and cls have improved quite a bit, though i still think they have more to improve. lexus quality has degraded imho, and it's pretty noticeable i'd add.
Consumer Reports data now shows the E350, ML350 (a vehicle that has been very unreliable for years), S550, SL, SLK, and the C-class in general as having risen from well-below average to average in reliability.....and on their recommended list. That is a major accomplishment. The C-Class and SL, being relatively new designs, are based on data from the last 12 months.
Old 01-11-09, 07:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't trust the data on Mercedes cars...if they asked owners. Benz owners tend to downplay the problems. Happens all the time. Ususally I'll ask, "how can you tolerate so many visits to the shop." Most will say they don't have problems, just maintenance. It's not until you question the particular maintenance issue that you realize they mean the shifter stopped working. The AC control needed readjusting. The check engine light wouldn't go off. So on and on...
Old 01-11-09, 09:42 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I don't trust the data on Mercedes cars...if they asked owners. Benz owners tend to downplay the problems. Happens all the time. Ususally I'll ask, "how can you tolerate so many visits to the shop." Most will say they don't have problems, just maintenance. It's not until you question the particular maintenance issue that you realize they mean the shifter stopped working. The AC control needed readjusting. The check engine light wouldn't go off. So on and on...
biased much?
Old 01-11-09, 10:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
biased much?
lol

Fanboys exist on every forum, for every make of car.
Old 01-12-09, 04:50 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
lol

Fanboys exist on every forum, for every make of car.
fanboy is one thing....being in denial that your car is a technological piece of crap is another.
Old 01-12-09, 08:27 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I'd have to somewhat agree with Ice350. If you spend any time on MB or BMW websites, the owners do seem to brush off a lot of their "smaller" issues....especially electronics. They simply view it as the trade-off for vehicles that are more driver/performance oriented.
Old 01-12-09, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes and BMW buyers expecting Lexus-like reliability will be disappointed. Obviously these German vehicles have other positive attributes.

On the topic of the new Mercedes C-class (introduced as model year 2008), yes it's a big step forward for Mercedes. It's a new model intro with average to good reliability, which is totally different than Mercedes model launches over the last 8 years or so. But to make it a real "trend", Mercedes needs to repeat this high quality and reliability for several years on several models. Time will tell.
Old 01-12-09, 09:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'd have to somewhat agree with Ice350. If you spend any time on MB or BMW websites, the owners do seem to brush off a lot of their "smaller" issues....especially electronics. They simply view it as the trade-off for vehicles that are more driver/performance oriented.
It's not only that, but the German brands in general seem more willing to put less tested technology into their cars which may or may not lead to more gremlins.
Old 01-12-09, 10:14 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
fanboy is one thing....being in denial that your car is a technological piece of crap is another.
Thank you for showing me the light! I need to get rid of my car ASAP
Old 01-12-09, 11:04 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most notable has been Mercedes-Benz's attempts to improve its quality level...it now (finally)
quality does not equal reliability.
My friends GM truck had unbelievably bad interior fitment (quality) but ran forever (reliability). Mercedes-Benz quality did go up, I agree, but still not what they were when "cost no object" was their goal in the 80s.
Old 01-12-09, 11:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The C-Class and SL, being relatively new designs, are based on data from the last 12 months.
Note: I think SL is more of an update or facelift, not a new design.

Quick Reply: Time to Re-think some Automotive Reliability Trends.