Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford debuts 2010 Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 12:51 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Ford debuts 2010 Taurus

Last month, Ford's President of the Americas Mark Fields remarked that it was going to be like 1986 all over again when the 2010 Ford Taurus arrives. The original Taurus that debuted during the Reagan Era was certainly groundbreaking, not only for its aerodynamic design that was unique in the mid-size sedan segment of the day, but also its tremendous value versus the competition. That car went on to become the best-selling passenger vehicle in the U.S. during the early '90s before a series of successively worse redesigns saw it fall from grace. It was sold uninterrupted for 21 years until late 2006 when the final one rolled off the assembly line at the company's assembly plant in Hapeville, GA. By that time, sales to the public had ceased and Ford was only selling the Taurus to fleets and rental companies, which had become the car's biggest customers as more and more families bought Camrys and Accords.

Then came Alan Mulally. Bill Ford Jr. replaced himself as CEO with Boeing's ex-head honcho and one of this Kansas-bred boy's first actions at the Blue Oval was to resurrect the Taurus name. Ford's new large sedan, the Five Hundred, wasn't selling well, and it was thought that slapping the Taurus name on it would help things. It didn't, and despite some substantive improvements to the car, the newly minted Taurus v2.0 earned a reputation for being a good but not great car that sold just enough to justify its existence.

The new 2010 Taurus has been completely redesigned, and Ford hopes all these changes to the exterior, interior, platform and powertrain will add up to a full-size car worthy of the Taurus name. Will it become the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. again? Not likely, but it will be a new halo car for the Ford brand that's crammed with all the best technology and state-of-the-art engines.
Old 01-11-09, 12:52 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Press exterior pics are horrible IMO. But I think this is a great effort by Ford. Very nice.
Old 01-11-09, 02:31 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that in-motion shot really shows the cues from the Mondeo...

and I think that's a GREAT thing.
Old 01-11-09, 02:54 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So is this the new Taurus that, according to Ford, will out-do the legendary Lexus LS?

...Nope, guess not.
Old 01-11-09, 02:58 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I'm not really feeling the exterior, but I think Ford did good with the interior. They've come a long way. Maybe a little too late??
Old 01-11-09, 07:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
I'm not really feeling the exterior, but I think Ford did good with the interior. They've come a long way. Maybe a little too late??
I agree 100%. I just don't know why they are continuing to use the "Taurus" name.

- Taurus was historically the Camry competitor in the lineup
- They drop the name "Taurus" and introduce the Camry-sized Fusion and Avalon-sized 500.
- 500 flops and they rename it "Taurus" because they think that name has more clout
- Taurus sees a new generation as an Avalon sized car

To be honest, I think the Taurus name is garbage and they would have more success with something different. That car was the laughingstock of the last 15 years and they potentially damaged it too much. That said, Chevy still uses "Malibu" so who knows.

That exterior is actually quite ugly from what I can see. The front end looks sleek but the rest of it really just looks like they added unnecessary curves and lines to try and add some flair to this brick. Like the MKS, the narrow greenhouse and roofline, huge flat doors, and tall ride height really look quite awkward. And what were they thinking with the rear end? Interior looks great though. Look at those interior gaps...or lack thereof. Job well done!
Old 01-11-09, 08:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
So is this the new Taurus that, according to Ford, will out-do the legendary Lexus LS?

...Nope, guess not.
They really said that? No matter. This is more an Avalon fighter than anything. Based on that, I like it a lot. Interior is impressively paid out. I hope the fit and finish is as good as the design.
Old 01-11-09, 09:45 AM
LexFather

That exterior looks like a slightly better Chrysler Sebring. Not liking it at all.

The interior is FANTASTIC but the 500 didn't have an issue with the interior. It was the exterior styling.

This is not going to turn thing around. Sorry.

Old 01-11-09, 11:27 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found some European Ford vehicle's taste from this Taurus, not bad.
Old 01-11-09, 11:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

interior looks really nice in this photoshop way, they need to show us real pics... looks realy nice, although it is looks before ergonomics, as very little of space is properly used, needs more spaces to put stuff in...
Old 01-11-09, 11:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exterior: Looks better than previous Taurus models hands down. Historically an ugly car. I've seen guys try to put rims on them and they were still ugly. At least now it looks like a modern car.

Interior: Not bad, certainly better than previous Taurus models.

Ford sold a ton of Taurus so I can understand why they would bring the name back. They must be doing something right, they were the one of the Big 3 to not need bailout money.

They deserve benefit of the doubt for that alone.