Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota announces 2010 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 06:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

And the 2010 Prius covered up. I'll upload the rest of my auto show pics when I return to sunny and warm SoCal.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota announces 2010 Camry-prius.jpg  
Old 01-12-09, 06:42 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And yet the HS250 is getting the 2.4L. Dumb.
Old 01-12-09, 10:11 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't they put the 2.7 4 cylinder from the Venza in the new Camry???
Old 01-12-09, 10:14 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nthach
Needs more power in the I4, Honda's pushing 197 in the Accord EX/EX-L. No reason why Toyota can't do the same.
actually 190hp, only 160 lb-ft, only 5spd auto, and only 21/30 mpg
compared to 179 hp, 172 lb-ft, 6spd auto and ~23/34

Maybe Honda should try and get with the times.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 01-12-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-12-09, 10:40 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And yet the HS250 is getting the 2.4L. Dumb.
Don't confuse the new 2.5L AR engine with the Atkinson cycle 2.4L: two completely different applications. Atkinsons cycle will result in higher efficiency then the 2.5L AR due to less pumping loss, so is more suitable in "frugal" applications than the standard Otto cycle.
Old 01-12-09, 10:40 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

too bad Toyota should have went with the new AR motor.
Old 01-12-09, 10:55 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Toyota did really good w/ the Camry Hybrid. Before, you couldn't really tell the differences between the Hybrid and regular gas engine other than the badge on the side.

Sportier fron grill will entice people to more hybrid. Not only you "save" money on gas, but you also look fast while going 65mph.
Old 01-12-09, 02:36 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
actually 190hp, only 160 lb-ft, only 5spd auto, and only 21/30 mpg
compared to 179 hp, 172 lb-ft, 6spd auto and ~23/34

Maybe Honda should try and get with the times.
I know, but there are people who buy cars based on HP still. Honda has VTEC as a blindfold over them, I think it's time for them to kill VTEC and come up with something better.
Old 01-12-09, 02:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Yes but the Hyundai is a blatant copy of the 6/7th generation Accords tail lights. The Mercedes-Benz E-Class is right in line with the styling trends set by the GLK/GL/ML and C/S Class models. I can't imagine how one could say with a strait face that the car looks like a Hyundai, if that's what you're implying.

As for the Camry, I'm sorely undershelmed by this latest revision. The B7 Tribeca like grille went from bad to worse. It looks horrendous on every Toyota it's on (Sienna/echo, etc.), almost cartoonish in nature. Definitely far from elegant. Looks like Toyota and Honda are finally going to face some real competition from our own country. The 2010 Ford Taurus looks a whole lot more intruiging than this frankly overrated and increasingly cheaply constructed car.
Looks no worse than the Jetta or Passat. THe Camry has never been about "looks". We are lucky this current version tried to inject some style.

Old 01-12-09, 02:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looks no worse than the Jetta or Passat. THe Camry has never been about "looks". We are lucky this current version tried to inject some style.
Thank you. The family sedan market is not about looks. As long as the cars remain contemporary looking they'll sell well.

You can add Jetta, Passat and Taurus (Five Hundred) sales together and they won't come anywhere close to the sales of Camry, Accord etc. That's what the mainstream family sedan market is about.
Old 01-12-09, 03:26 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You can add Jetta, Passat and Taurus (Five Hundred) sales together and they won't come anywhere close to the sales of Camry, Accord etc. That's what the mainstream family sedan market is about.
Couldn't say it any better myself.

Obviously VW and some people just don't understand and they are blaming the American general public for their failure at yet producing a popular "family sedan".
Old 01-12-09, 05:35 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I respectfully disagree. Those two automobiles are the epitome of class and elegance, in my opinion.

Last edited by FKL; 01-12-09 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 05:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I respectfully disagree. Those two automobiles are the epidemy of class and elegance, in my opinion.
The epitome of class and elegance? A Jetta and Passat?

Man you're easy to please!

I would say something like:

or

or

...but hey if you are happy with a Passat or Jetta as the epitome of class and elegance then you are a far more humble man than I!

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-12-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 05:40 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Excuse me, I thought we were keeping it relative to the class that the cars are in. In that case, yes, those cars are the most refined, from a visual standpoint, in their classes. The Camry looks like a Japanese Cartoon, the Accord a bad dream. Same goes for the Corolla and Civic. And of course, the Passat and Jetta are the best put together from an exterior body standpoint than any other cars in their classes. I'm not here to teach anybody how to deal with dissenting opinions, but I have one right here, so try and deal with the notion that somebody can believe such a thing.
Old 01-12-09, 05:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Excuse me, I thought we were keeping it relative to the class that the cars are in. In that case, yes, those cars are the most refined, from a visual standpoint, in their classes. The Camry looks like a Japanese Cartoon, the Accord a bad dream. Same goes for the Corolla and Civic. And of course, the Passat and Jetta are the best put together from an exterior body standpoint than any other cars in their classes. I'm not here to teach anybody how to deal with dissenting opinions, but I have one right here, so try and deal with the notion that somebody can believe such a thing.
The Passat I can give you. It's a good looking, well built car especially when considering it's competitors. Thing about the Passat though, is that it's a good bit pricer than a Camry, Accord or Altima. You could make the argument that you get what you pay for, but the element of price somewhat keeps the Passat from being compared apples to apples with it's rivals.

Jetta...that one I struggle with. The last Jetta was a much better looking car IMO. I don't know how you can think the Jetta is so good looking when the Corolla is ugly...they look a lot alike. I remember reading an article a while ago that was an interview with the new head of design at VW and he mentioned that they actually ended up designing some parts of the Jetta like the Corolla with the hope of emulating some of it's sales success. For me, the best looking car in that class is the Mazda 3. Jetta, IMO, looks very average.

To each his own though

Quick Reply: Toyota announces 2010 Camry