Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rant: The car wash at the Lexus Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsavo
Not sure if there's anything like that near me but I will check around. I'd be concerned with dirt in the rags/sponges or the guys washing the car accidentally scratching it with their jacket zippers or something like that-seems like the risk of damage could be just as high with a hand wash?
A well-run hand wash operation minimizes those hazards. On Saturday while my IS350 was being washed, I watched a black Bentley coupe being finished.
Old 01-12-09, 10:02 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was telling my mom the other day that she should complain about the poor job that they do with car washing. Pay a butt load for service and the car was is not up to par.
Old 01-12-09, 10:08 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Both my Lexus dealers always offer to hand wash them everytime my cars were in for maintainence service, although I usually tell them not to do the outside, but just vacuum/wipe the interior.
Oh yea, while it's there for service sure, but I think they're talking about an automated wash that's always open to them.
Old 01-12-09, 11:05 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
A well-run hand wash operation minimizes those hazards. On Saturday while my IS350 was being washed, I watched a black Bentley coupe being finished.
Sounds like a nice wash. My only other concern would be the cost. If I were to pay $10 each wash (estimated) to wash my car twice a week, that's over a thousand dollars a year-which was one reason I went with Lexus was the great service that would save me money.

It mainly comes down to convenience. My dealership is literally less than a half mile from where I work, so it's the best option for me.
Old 01-12-09, 12:40 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Metro Lexus kicks A$$
They even wipe and vacuum the interior.
Old 01-12-09, 12:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsavo
Sounds like a nice wash. My only other concern would be the cost. If I were to pay $10 each wash (estimated) to wash my car twice a week, that's over a thousand dollars a year-which was one reason I went with Lexus was the great service that would save me money.
Not cheap at $13.95 per.
Old 01-12-09, 12:57 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I don't know if that is Newport Beach Lexus you are talking about but when I bought my IS I saw several new cars on the lot with swirls in the paint so I have never gotten a wash there or anywhere else for that matter
Both Tustin and Mission Viejo are like that. MV is where my ES is from, Tustin is where my RX is from. Both are horrible washers

If you guys DIY with the right tools, your car will be in better condition if you are complaining now. If you guys are out east and looking for a way to wash your car while its super cold, look up Optimum No Rinse. It is a great method out there that most detailers/enthusiasts use during the cold months
Old 01-12-09, 03:03 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I stopped by my servicing dealer to schedule service and I mentioned that the car would get dirtier again with more snow and ice again only the fifth time this year. I was told that part of The Lexus Experience was a free wash whenever your vehicle needs it and was promptly taken to be washed. That was Friday. They will see me soon!!!
I suspect MikeZ uses the same dealer.
Old 01-12-09, 06:31 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
tsavo it sounds like your going to the one at easton town center. Either way, the Germain group is the worst! Bad service, charge up the ying-yang for anything and everything, and the owner and his family all have some foul mouths even when they are at the dealership. Im sorry to break it to you but the worst part is that they are the only lexus dealers in town. One in Dublin, one at Easton.
I've had a pretty good experience with my service writers, both at Easton (Kevin) and Dublin (Kyle). I purchased my car at Easton but I live in Dublin so the Dublin location is more convenient for me. For my 5K service, I requested synthetic oil (usually a $50 or so addition) and when my service writer called me to tell me it was done, he also told me the synthetic was free of charge.

Recently I went in for my 10k service and also requested the low-dust brake pad TSB and they happily obliged. My service adviser also asked if I had experienced any pulsating when braking (I had, but mistakened it for being normal) and when I told him yes, he had the techs resurface the rotors as well. In the past I've had the dash removed (twice), passenger door panel replaced, rear-view mirror replaced, etc when I complained about interior rattles and vibration. Every time it was done no questions asked (hell, they even offered) when I brought it up.

My salesperson at Easton kept in contact with me for over 6 months after my purchase. Surprisingly my only complaints are with the accessory managers at both the dealerships. When I had my iPod integration kit installed at Easton, the accessory manager gave me a loaner with the low fuel light on. It's not like he was oblivious, before he handed the keys to me he looked inside and was like, "oh, low fuel", but then just shrugged it off. I got to a gas station with the "remaining miles" display on 0. Fairly annoying.

Last edited by DZP; 01-12-09 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 09:03 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is annoying. Im glad to hear that you have had good experiences with them. I have had ok service but it could be much better since I know half of the techs at the dublin location. I live in Murfield and go to dublin more than easton esp. now since the dublin one looks just as nice as easton's.

The reasons why I dislike them are
1. after going in to possibly purchase an ls460 and having owned 10 lexus' (one of every ls two rx, an IS and an sc) you would think they would cut me a deal of lets say.... anything less than msrp. Instead they told me "tough ****, we're the only dealer in town. Good luck finding anything else". So I did. This isnt how they used to do business and Im sad to see that the sales dept. has lost its prestige.

2. They always charge me for the optional crap that really doesnt need to be done to cars. My IS250 gets about 3k miles a year and after its yearly oil change they still attempt to charge me for things like a new cabin filter, a coolant flush and new wipers. Heck this thing has spent most of its life in a temp controlled garage, it gets better treatment than my dog.

3. My buddy whos a tech called me and I was asked by Rick Germain's brother to weld up some tabs for a race seat on a dirt track car. I went over to the shop and upon arriving i was treated like he owned me and was swearing and *****ing about why didnt i bring my rigs with me to weld this stuff up. Well i didnt know what kind of time frame they were under, what metals i was working with, what kind of machine i needed and if they were going to pay me. In the end i blew up on the guy told him to eat my @ss and that ill be buying my vehicles elsewhere.

Cliffs notes, arrogant asses that charge too much and treat customers that buy every two years like they are bums off the street.

Oh and dont expect your service writers to last long. They switch them out twice a year. I have yet to have the same one for two consecutive services on the same car.
Old 01-12-09, 10:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm a firm believer in washing my own car myself......I know how to do it correctly and not damage the paint. That was one of my pet peeves with the dealer I bought my Lexus IS300 from.......I wanted to wash my own car after servicing (like I did at the Saturn shop when I owned an SL-2), but that Lexus dealership absolutely would not allow a customer to pick up a hose. This was a VERY serious issue for me......as long as this dealership has the same management and the same policy, they will probably not get another sale from me.
Old 01-12-09, 11:17 PM
LexFather

Hand wash will go out the door as dealerships upgrade to the touchless car washes. Around $600,000 a pop!

Old 01-12-09, 11:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hand wash will go out the door as dealerships upgrade to the touchless car washes. Around $600,000 a pop!
Touchless car washes can be worse on the paint than brushes, Mike. They often rely on extremely strong blasts of wind-blown jets....this can slam minute particles or small pieces of debris into the paint and trim, and, in effect, micro-sand-blast the finish. I've seen them actually dull the finish and sheen.

There are reasons why I said, in my last post, that I'm a FIRM believer in, whenever possible, a hand wash.....and a properly-done hand wash at that.
Old 01-13-09, 05:12 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Touchless car washes can be worse on the paint than brushes, Mike. They often rely on extremely strong blasts of wind-blown jets....this can slam minute particles or small pieces of debris into the paint and trim, and, in effect, micro-sand-blast the finish. I've seen them actually dull the finish and sheen.
There are reasons why I said, in my last post, that I'm a FIRM believer in, whenever possible, a hand wash.....and a properly-done hand wash at that.
I agree 100%, I always hand wash my vehicles and tell the dealer not to wash them when I take them in for service. I am very picky about how I maintain my cars. The Lexus dealer I use is building a new building and told me they are doing away with the hand washing they currently do and are only offering an automatic "touchless" system. I guess that is the direction things are going, much faster to drive it through a machine than pay people to spend 15-20 minutes to hand wash it.
Old 01-13-09, 07:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I agree, hand-wash is my only choice. Where I live there are a couple of good choices for this type of service.

Quick Reply: Rant: The car wash at the Lexus Dealership