Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rant: The car wash at the Lexus Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 05:48 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rant: The car wash at the Lexus Dealership

Before I moved, my old Lexus dealer had the type of wash bay where you would pull in for service and they would drive the car off and wash it in the bay. It was nice, but could take up to 30 minutes depending how busy they were-but you could wash your car anytime.

I recently moved to Columbus and the dealer here has two automatic drive-through washes. One is for service only, the other is for customers. My beef: The one for the customers is closed whenever it's below 32 degrees. In reality, anytime there is salt on the road, you can't wash your car because when they salt, it's usually below freezing. I'm not talking about 10 degrees, I've seen it closed when it's 32-36 degrees out.

I've seen it closed for 5 days straight before, yet somehow the service wash is always open. Both are identical in design, so I don't see the low temperatures causing a maintenance problem on one, but not the other. I called in to complain in a polite manner and the lady who answered the phone was pretty clueless and couldn't really provide me with any reasoning behind the policy. The wash is also used for a huge Mercedes dealership so I'm sure I'm not the only one that's disappointed, the service at my old dealership was much better, to say the least.
Old 01-11-09, 07:02 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

just be glad you could still use it when its above temp...

My stealership, Lexus of Orlando in FL, flat out refused to wash customers' car unless a service was performed bunch of cheap a$$
Old 01-11-09, 07:10 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I stopped using my complimentary wash at my Lexus dealer because it swirled up my paint a couple times. I have vinyl sheets now that say "DO NOT WASH" that I put on the windows every time I go to service it

I'm OCD about it and I was tired of detailing every time I bring it in
Old 01-11-09, 09:14 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I stopped using my complimentary wash at my Lexus dealer because it swirled up my paint a couple times. I have vinyl sheets now that say "DO NOT WASH" that I put on the windows every time I go to service it

I'm OCD about it and I was tired of detailing every time I bring it in
I don't know if that is Newport Beach Lexus you are talking about but when I bought my IS I saw several new cars on the lot with swirls in the paint so I have never gotten a wash there or anywhere else for that matter
Old 01-11-09, 09:16 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, even though it swirls bad, I still wash mine there as I can't let my car be caked in salt constantly during the winter, even if it means I have to pay for a complete detail when spring comes. And its hard to wash when its 24 degrees outside.

I am lucky the dealer close to me which I bought from does courtesy car washes with no exceptions or rules, the other dealers however, only does car washes when you service the car, which is total BS.
Old 01-11-09, 11:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I live in AZ and was visiting LA. While there my brother was looking at a Lexus sc430. while he was negotiating I took my ride back to service and had them wash the car. They took car of it no problem and were really nice
Old 01-11-09, 11:53 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canada has no such thing as complementary Lexus automated car wash drive through things. So there. So in that case, I'm pissed I have to pay to have my car washed.
Old 01-12-09, 12:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think because Phoenix is a relatively new city everything developed is designed in the most current and efficient design. We have beautiful dealerships with all of the newest ammenities like putting and video games in the waiting area. Free car washes are the small stuff. Lexus is solid in my book for the attention to detail. the more I read these post the more I realize that the service quality and attention to detail I get at AZ lexus dealerships outdoes many other members experiences
Old 01-12-09, 02:52 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tsavo it sounds like your going to the one at easton town center. Either way, the Germain group is the worst! Bad service, charge up the ying-yang for anything and everything, and the owner and his family all have some foul mouths even when they are at the dealership. Im sorry to break it to you but the worst part is that they are the only lexus dealers in town. One in Dublin, one at Easton.
Old 01-12-09, 04:24 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
tsavo it sounds like your going to the one at easton town center. Either way, the Germain group is the worst! Bad service, charge up the ying-yang for anything and everything, and the owner and his family all have some foul mouths even when they are at the dealership. Im sorry to break it to you but the worst part is that they are the only lexus dealers in town. One in Dublin, one at Easton.
Yea, that's the one. I'm hoping it's open today, but I doubt it will be...
Old 01-12-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to only have my car hand washed.
Old 01-12-09, 07:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Canada has no such thing as complementary Lexus automated car wash drive through things. So there. So in that case, I'm pissed I have to pay to have my car washed.
Both my Lexus dealers always offer to hand wash them everytime my cars were in for maintainence service, although I usually tell them not to do the outside, but just vacuum/wipe the interior.
Old 01-12-09, 08:38 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I prefer to only have my car hand washed.
That's good, but not really practical for most people. I live in a condo downtown, so I have no place to hand wash my car, nor would I have the time to-and even if I did I wouldn't do it in 30 degree weather

It sounds to me like this dealership shouldn't be advertising free car washes any longer, at least not in the winter. It was closed again today, my gauge reads 36 degrees. Oh well.
Old 01-12-09, 08:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsavo
That's good, but not really practical for most people. I live in a condo downtown, so I have no place to hand wash my car, nor would I have the time to-and even if I did I wouldn't do it in 30 degree weather

It sounds to me like this dealership shouldn't be advertising free car washes any longer, at least not in the winter. It was closed again today, my gauge reads 36 degrees. Oh well.
I can imagine the challenge in that climate. Near where I live there is a very good independently-owned hand car wash operation which I prefer to use.
Old 01-12-09, 09:21 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I can imagine the challenge in that climate. Near where I live there is a very good independently-owned hand car wash operation which I prefer to use.
Not sure if there's anything like that near me but I will check around. I'd be concerned with dirt in the rags/sponges or the guys washing the car accidentally scratching it with their jacket zippers or something like that-seems like the risk of damage could be just as high with a hand wash?

Quick Reply: Rant: The car wash at the Lexus Dealership