Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Overrated List of 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 08:37 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

While I've never been a huge Vette fan, I think it has it's place.

Fast
Affordable
Excellent Materials/Build-Quality

Pick any two. No can do it all. Chevy decided long ago to make the Vette fast, and still keep it affordable. In order to do that, something's gotta give.

You want a fast car with a gorgeous interior? Pick yourself up one of the new Maserati's. But, you're not getting the Quatroporte S for <$80K

Old 01-13-09, 08:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wheres the 1 series
Old 01-13-09, 09:36 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all Audi's are overrated when you factor in price compared to competitors with the exception of the base 2.0t B8 A4. Especially the V8 R8, haven't heard about pricing for the V10 yet but I can only assume it's going to be pretty ridiculous. They look good though can't deny that.
Old 01-13-09, 09:58 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked the whole article. In my opinion, the WRX STi is overrated and belongs on the list. $35K gets you a good performance, a Mazda Protege 5 exterior, a Civic interior, and an engine that sounds like it's always misfiring. No thanks.
Old 01-13-09, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bean
Yeah I saw one go down the road and I thought it was an orange surfboard. Almost no lines on the car it seems.
Dodge challenger is so big and ugly.

New Camaro is better sized and has nice lines.

Saw both vehicles at San Jose auto show last weekend.
Old 01-13-09, 12:28 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wheres the 1 series
Haha, bathtub. My friend wants one and all I can think is 'bathtub'. If it were wider I might see it differently.
Old 01-13-09, 01:00 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Habious
Fast
Affordable
Excellent Materials/Build-Quality

Pick any two. No can do it all.
Are you sure about that? he he...

In terms of magazines/press, I think the following cars are definitely overrated:
  1. VW GTI - Overpriced, underpowered, and does not warrant winning every small car comparison out there.
  2. Mazda Miata - Is that car still relevant? All the press seem to love it.
  3. BMW M3 - It's an awesome car.. but comparisons with a 911? GT-R? What's next, Veyron? ha ha
  4. Dodge Challenger - I agree with this one. It looks nice... it's also a 300C/Charger with a shiny new shell.
Old 01-13-09, 02:26 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

How about this one, for being overrated- Shelby GT500- Yes, it is cool looking, but one it is over $50K, never mind the KR version that is Porsche money. Two, it has a solid rear axle!!- Now I understand a $30k mustang with a solid axle, but not a $50 K Shelby! Three, the car it replaced the Mustang Cobra,"Terminator", has a indpendent rear suspension, weighs alot less, and in some tests proved to be faster!
Old 01-13-09, 03:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I can't believe I'm about to actually defend BMW....but the M3 belongs nowhere near this list. I agree with primecut that the comparisons are ridiculous but the car is still the leader in the super sedan segment. Ask any owner....they're the greatest car ever produced.

The 1 series is actually a pretty amazing car. Subjective comments on the looks aside (which, imho, were pretty decent) the car is very impressive. A small driver oriented car, true to BMW's roots that is very mod friendly at a decent price. What's wrong with that?

He// must be getting cold for me to actually make this post...lol.
Old 01-13-09, 03:47 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I can't believe I'm about to actually defend BMW....but the M3 belongs nowhere near this list. I agree with primecut that the comparisons are ridiculous but the car is still the leader in the super sedan segment. Ask any owner....they're the greatest car ever produced.

The 1 series is actually a pretty amazing car. Subjective comments on the looks aside (which, imho, were pretty decent) the car is very impressive. A small driver oriented car, true to BMW's roots that is very mod friendly at a decent price. What's wrong with that?

He// must be getting cold for me to actually make this post...lol.
LOL... Point taken CDNROCKIES! As for the 1 series, I agree with everything you said except the pricing. Its pricing is only marginally cheaper than a 3 series. In fact, I was looking into the 135i for awhile, and most of them are optioned to about 40-45k unless you buy a stripped one. IMO that's overpriced!
Old 01-13-09, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Is this guy for real? Some of his comments, IMO, border on absurd.

First of all, the Saturn Aura replaced the L-series, NOT the Ion. The Ion was replaced by the Opel-designed Astra.

Second, what does he mean by "American Chiropractor Association-endorsed suspension tuning" on the IS-F? If he means it is too soft, he is totally wrong....the IS-F has anything BUT a soft suspension, compared to most street cars. If he means it is too firm, then why would the ACA endorse it?......that wouldn't make sense, and make backaches even worse.

Third, as far as the Corvette being "plasticky", the fiberglass body is the car's tradition, going back to the first ones in 1953. A 'Vette wouldn't be a 'Vette without fiberglass.

Fourth, if he thinks there is too much NASCAR on the Speed Channel, NASCAR is where it's at in America....that's where the money and attendance is. In America, Formula 1 isn't even a small blip on the radar.

Fifth, if he thinks the Dodge Challenger is too big, he needs to go to a old-car show and look at the original one.....roughly the same size.

Sixth, the Mustang has a classic shape that its die-hard fans never get tired of. It took Ford some 35 years of stubbornness, after 1970, to finally realize that and bring the original shape back. Now that they have finally learned, they are not going to make the same mistake again lightly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-09 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 06:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The smart car...thats all i have to say
Old 01-13-09, 07:11 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Second, what does he mean by "American Chiropractor Association-endorsed suspension tuning" on the IS-F? If he means it is too soft, he is totally wrong....the IS-F has anything BUT a soft suspension, compared to most street cars. If he means it is too firm, then why would the ACA endorse it?......that wouldn't make sense, and make backaches even worse.
mmarshall, I think you are missing the humor in the article unless you were being sarcastic.

The IS F is endorsed by the American Chiropractor Association because its suspension tuning is too firm so people will need chiropractic service after driving it and that's gonna make the chiropractors rich.

Maybe I should put this in the first post...

WARNING: DO NOT TAKE THIS ARTICLE TOO SERIOUSLY!
Old 01-13-09, 07:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO some thoughts:

1. Saturn is consistently a money-losing division that doesn't really matter anymore in today's automotive environment. Not worth much discussion, especially on a Lexus forum (Lexus being a line of top tier cars consistently).

2. Vettes made of fiberglass, just another tradition and good luck with traditions at GM. No good safety, performance, weight, structural strength reasons for it. The only thing it does guarantee is high repair costs and high insurance costs. A Vette is still a great performance car despite the plastic body, not because of the plastic body.

3. Dodge Challenger is too big and ugly. Today is 2009 and I'm glad we don't have cars today as big and poor driving as the Chryslers/Dodges of that era. Better examples of the pony car brought into the modern era are the Camaro and Mustang.

4. Current Mustang (and the latest facelift) has a nice retro look with modern touches, nicely done. Mustang is considered to be a successful car by most.
Old 01-13-09, 07:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd93
The smart car...thats all i have to say
Now that's a good one. Nothing wrong with an economical car, but the Smart really isn't practical for most Americans.

Quick Reply: The Overrated List of 2008