Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Overrated List of 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09 | 08:14 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Talking The Overrated List of 2008

Two weeks ago I wrote about the importance of being optimistic in these troubled times. And I stand behind the sentiment contained within those wonderfully crafted 690 words. But don't misunderstand, optimism should be also be selectively doled out.

Sure the future looks bright, but not everything is great. In fact, during the inescapable 24 hour news cycle, many things get overrated. Too many things. And since I like the sound of my own thoughts I thought I'd make a list of those things.

I expect many of you to disagree with me on many of these, but remember, if you do, you're wrong.

The Dodge Challenger SRT-8
Not only is it too damn big, but a Shelby Mustang GT500 sucks its doors off.

Chip Foose
Enough with the two-tone and the billit. Talk about a one note somba. Time to overhaul your esthetic.

2009 Nissan GT-R
Too noisy. Too rough. Too fragile. Better not use the launch control.

Piloti Driving Shoes
Piloti must be Italian for Geek in the overpriced clown-booties.

The Toyota Prius
If any conventional car was that ugly, that uncomfortable and that rotten to drive it would have been a laughing stock.

The Tesla
Part car, part bull****. Buying one seems to require a secret handshake, a briefcase full of cash and a pinky swear to never drive the car in public. I've seen one on the road and I live in the hybrid loving more money than brains club headquarters that is west Los Angeles. If they're selling these things like they say they are, where are they selling them, Ohio?

Small SUVs
Acura RDX, Infiniti EX35, VW Tiguan, etc. Who the hell buys a Sport Utility with absolutely no utility? There's more room in my sinus cavity than the new crop of cute utes.

2009 Lincoln MKS
Worst engine in its class. Would have been competitive during Clinton's second term.

Speed Channel
Too much NASCAR. Too much Pinks. Too much Wrecked. No enough cool stuff.

2010 Ford Mustang
Second verse same as the first. Suddenly it's 2005.

Sync
Bong, play Britney. Bong, play Britney. Bong, play Britney.

Saturn Aura
So much better than the embarrassing Ion it replaced this average sedan was destined for overrated status.

Top Gear
Oops. My mistake. This should not be on the list. Top Gear really is that good.

Lexus IS-F
Fake tailpipes and suspension tuning endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association.

Honda Civic Si
Sinfully ugly. No torque. Battlestar Gallactica called and wants its dashboard back.

2009 Jaguar XF
Looks like a tarted up Lexus GS. It may be a needed new styling statement for the luxury car division of Tata Motors, but after the sexpot XK (also designed by Ian Callum) it's nothing short of a let down.

2009 Chevy Corvette
Fast? Yup. Affordable? Kinda. Plasticy? Oh yeah. Looks like it got rear ended by a semi? Twice.

Me
I'm not really as great as I say I am. Plus, my cottage cheese thighs could use a little sun.

Bob Lutz
He once told me the Saturn Ion was good. It wasn't.

Miles Per Gallon
In case you haven't noticed (and nobody has) gas is really cheap again. -- The Mechanic, Inside Line Contributor

E-mail me at themechanic@edmunds.com
Source: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...t-of-2008.html

ffpower says: Where is the R8?

R8
Same price as the ZR1 but a souped up Civic can blow its doors off... Oh and don't forget about the front overhang (see picture below) that's able to knock a full second off the car's 1/4-mile time.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 01-12-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-12-09 | 08:46 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

on the speed channel comment. The comment about the Jaguar XF looking like a "tarted up Lexus GS" makes me
Old 01-12-09 | 09:08 PM
LexFather

Small SUVs
Acura RDX, Infiniti EX35, VW Tiguan, etc. Who the hell buys a Sport Utility with absolutely no utility? There's more room in my sinus cavity than the new crop of cute utes.

Lmfao!!!!!
Old 01-12-09 | 11:11 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

laughed at the IS-F and the Civic Si comments
Old 01-13-09 | 12:09 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

.....So all opinions are welcome....as long as they don't go against Toyota or Lexus? That sounds...like a double standard to me?
Old 01-13-09 | 03:48 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Sync
Bong, play Britney. Bong, play Britney. Bong, play Britney.
roflmao x 10
Old 01-13-09 | 04:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I like "Wrecked".
Old 01-13-09 | 05:21 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

I gotta admit, Overhaulin has kinda gotten old. Only so many two-tone paint jobs you can do and some of them were borderline gaudy. Foose definitely has talent but that show either needs to change the type of look they're going for or just hang it up.

I completely agree on the GTR, Bob Lutz, and Telsa. Though I do disagree on the Corvette. As plasticky as it is, I like it.
Old 01-13-09 | 06:17 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

I think that Hyundai Genesis is totally overrated
Old 01-13-09 | 07:17 AM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by FKL
.....So all opinions are welcome....as long as they don't go against Toyota or Lexus? That sounds...like a double standard to me?
FKL I am going to say this once. Its not a double standard and don't play victim. Since I have been on Clublexus (which is forever) we have always respected VW/Audi. Personally Audi is my 2nd fav. luxury brand behind Lexus.

When you posted pics of your own Passat, the majority of the thread was kudos and great work.

VW is respected here but don't expect us to be head over heels for VW like you are. That is what VWVortex is for (which I've been a member for over 5 years). I don't go to VWVortex to bash VW/Audi and to make jabs at them. I help share info on Lexus and dissipate the misinformation about the brand! This is Clublexus so we will naturally prefer Lexus and Toyota products. As you know VW simply has made no inroads in AMerica outside the Beetle Jetta and Rabbit. A Lexus forum is not going to really understand VWs that are costing Lexus money l

CarChat AMAZINGLY and IMO has a great mix of owners/non-owners from all backgrounds and owning all cars. IMO its about the best "melting pot" car forum you will get. There is minimal flaming and bashing of brands "just because".

It does not help your reputation or your image if you constatly make sly remarks towards Lexus or Toyota on a Lexus forum. No one is asking you to love Lexus but for example, posting a pic of the IS-F engine and saying "its a damn mess" when you KNOW owners are in this forum and then making a "silly Toyota "reference when the car is a 100% Lexus is baiting members to respond and flaming Lexus.

Do you want me to bring up Skoda and Seat platform and parts sharing everytime VW is mentioned? That would only infuriate you.

Your posts are welcomed here once they are in a manner not to anger the majority of the members here. We can appreciate your VW insight as I can say I've learned a few things from your posts.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-13-09 | 07:18 AM
LexFather

Now, do not respond unless it is in PM and NO ONE take this back off track, let us stick to the topic, which is funny (even the jab at Lexus).
Old 01-13-09 | 07:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The oversized Challenger sure is a top contender.
Old 01-13-09 | 07:58 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The oversized Challenger sure is a top contender.
Yeah I saw one go down the road and I thought it was an orange surfboard. Almost no lines on the car it seems.
Old 01-13-09 | 08:06 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

OMG, how can we forget about Honda/Acura!!

Honda/Acura
The poor man's BMW is now a Toyota for those who don't like to drive but like ugly cars...
Old 01-13-09 | 08:08 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Mazda3
Come on fanboys, this car is NOT a BMW, stop acting like you are driving one and lecturing us how much of a "driver's car" it is.

Quick Reply: The Overrated List of 2008