Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Confirms Hydrogen Vehicle for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 08:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Toyota Confirms Hydrogen Vehicle for 2015

Toyota Confirms Hydrogen Vehicle for 2015

Could be a Highlander

by Zack Newmark

January 13, 2009 5:42 PM

Toyota has announced plans to sell a hydrogen-powered car by the year 2015. The statement was made at a presentation during the North American International Auto Show.

The Japanese company has continued to make a splash in alternative powered vehicles. They will release a plug-in hybrid later this year, and a two-seat all-electric by 2012.

Hinting at the company's current strategy, Toyota executive VP Masatami Takimoto thinks the entire future of autos will be grouped into three categoires. In the city, people will drive all-electric vehicles, and everywhere else we will use either electric-hybrids or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, he said.

In an interview at Detroit, Takimoto confirmed the 2015 release of the hydrogen car. Toyota has been testing a hydrogen version of the Highlander, which is already sold as a hybrid. Takimoto also spoke on the need to build both consumer confidence in hydrogen power, and a fueling station infrastructure.

Despite the current low price of oil, the price of the commodity could easily spike again. “We will run out of any alternative strategies if the oil supply diminishes,” Takimoto said.

“Oil consumption will increase, and the supply could become unstable.”

BMW already leases the Hydrogen 7, while Honda has shown off the FCX Clarity. GM has talked off and on about releasing a hydrogen car by 2011.

The Toyota Highlander FCHV (fuel cell hydrogen vehicle) can be seen now at the NAIAS. No confirmation if this crossover would be the vehicle Toyota puts their chips on for the fuel cell revolution.

Source
Old 01-13-09, 08:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

horrendous waste of energy
Old 01-13-09, 10:03 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
horrendous waste of energy
Yup. Hydrogen is a failure. There's too much work needed to create a hydrogen network of fueling stations.
Old 01-13-09, 11:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There are always drawbacks but that doesn't mean we cant't work our way towards it. We can't keep on using the "we have no infrastructures to support it" argument whenever there is a new technology that comes along. When mankind were still riding on horses, there were no networks of gasoline stations. It's only a matter of time until technology improves. Who would have thought in the 1920s that we'd have cars like the Prius/Insight today which gets at least 50mpg? I'm all for using gasoline at the moment (I prefer it), but I'm not against venturing into other methods of fuel.
Old 01-13-09, 11:17 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

damn that highlander is ugly
Old 01-13-09, 12:04 PM
LexFather

We have to try something b/c we can't depend on just petrol powered cars. Hell cars and gas stations started somewhere! Its not like there was already infrustructure and then Ford came along with the Model T.

Honda is trying with its Clarity now (I've heard they cost 1 million each) and glad to see Toyota trying it too along with BMW.

Old 01-13-09, 12:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
There are always drawbacks but that doesn't mean we cant't work our way towards it. We can't keep on using the "we have no infrastructures to support it" argument whenever there is a new technology that comes along. When mankind were still riding on horses, there were no networks of gasoline stations. It's only a matter of time until technology improves. Who would have thought in the 1920s that we'd have cars like the Prius/Insight today which gets at least 50mpg? I'm all for using gasoline at the moment (I prefer it), but I'm not against venturing into other methods of fuel.
+1, air ports are another good example.

I'm glad research and innovations like this are happening. Progress is good.
Old 01-13-09, 12:29 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I don't think infrastructure is as much the problem as the availability of hydrogen itself. The energy required to create hydrogen has to come from somewhere.
Old 01-13-09, 12:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Indeed extracting hydrogen is expensive, but the process can only get better. Remember when solar panels first hit the market? They were damn inefficient, but look at whats available today. Solar panels have gotten much more efficient (although still not up there yet). We can't expect the technology to be at best right away. it will take decades to get where we want. Let the free market drive up the competition and soon enough, you'll make progress. It's not like we are definite that there are no other way to extract hydrogen.
Old 01-13-09, 04:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

nothing wrong with using nuclear power plants to generate hydrogen. Heck you can use nuclear to desalinate water, power homes, power cars.... too bad we stopped building nuke plants we are many generations behind using out dated designs....

pebble bed reactors are what we need.

I like how in Germany people are complaining they can't heat their homes because Russia turned off the gas pipeline. Meanwhile France stays nice and toasty using electric heaters from their nuke plants.