Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VIN problem... seeking help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 01:45 PM
enycetony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please delete

please delete, problem dissolved a long time ago on it's own

thanks,
Tony

Last edited by enycetony; 05-07-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-13-09, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

First, there was no cause for police to arrest you for driving with two VINs, especially if you bought the car used and were unaware of it....although it always pays, of course to inspect a used car thoroughly. Still, I'd talk to a lawyer about that....you may (?) have a false-arrest civil case against the police.

If you have the original date of manufacture, what plant it came from, and the original factory paint-color code, options, etc... which should be on a plate either on the drivers' door jamb, underhood, or in ther glove box, that will help some in being able to trace the correct VIN. Onc clue is the first digit. If your 240SX was built in a Japanese plant (as most or all of them were, I believe), the first digit in the VIN will be a "J".
Old 01-13-09, 09:49 PM
enycetony
Rookie

Well they know what happened in terms of the VINs... The 1st VIN (the one I bought and showing on top of the dash) is the one I have title to. The 2nd VIN (underneath the 1st) is one that belonged to another 240sx where the dashboard was pulled from. They told me I need to get the car a new VIN now because of the controversy and I'm trying to figure out what is needed to get that done.
Old 01-13-09, 10:10 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a 'new' VIN? So are the police going to conjure up an assortment of numbers and letters for your 240SX? I thought each VIN number was unique to one car, so it doesn't make sense to 'create' a new VIN.

I'm really confused, I don't get the legal system...
Old 01-13-09, 10:14 PM
enycetony
Rookie

Originally Posted by Felix.
Get a 'new' VIN? So are the police going to conjure up an assortment of numbers and letters for your 240SX? I thought each VIN number was unique to one car, so it doesn't make sense to 'create' a new VIN.

I'm really confused, I don't get the legal system...
yes that is what they will do as far as I have been told. The question is how do i get it done ? =/
Old 01-14-09, 04:19 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

A new VIN doesn't make any sense. A VIN is the Vehicles Identification Number. It's unique to each vehicle and cannot be changed. I think you may have misunderstood what they were telling you. You don't need to get the car a new VIN, you need to get your car a new "replacement" VIN tag.
Old 01-14-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
A new VIN doesn't make any sense. A VIN is the Vehicles Identification Number. It's unique to each vehicle and cannot be changed. I think you may have misunderstood what they were telling you. You don't need to get the car a new VIN, you need to get your car a new "replacement" VIN tag.
Correct. A car can normally only have one VIN in its lifetime, except for some rare circumstances where it is rebuilt or re-manufactured at the factory, like some original 70s vintage Nissan Z-cars were some years ago.
Old 01-14-09, 10:42 AM
enycetony
Rookie

please delete

Last edited by enycetony; 05-07-09 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-14-09, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enycetony
well the car was "rebuilt" at wings performance in new york. They took the dash from a different car and put it into my 240 that I have title to. The police told me that I need to get the car REVINNED. I'm still unsure of what this process entails.

Replacing a dash is not considered a "rebuild", as I understand it.

Talk to someone at the state DMV about your problem.....preferably a supervisor or a manager, not just a behind-the-counter clerk. They are the ones that actually determine auto registering procedures, not the police. The idea of a "Re-VIN" is something that I have almost never heard of, especailly in a case like yours.

To me, it sounds like a simple matter of simply finding the old dash the shop took out,and transferring the original VIN tag on it to the new dash. If the old dash is still avilable, that should be a simple thing to do.

I'd also talk to a lawyer about being arrested in this matter. I think you may have a civil case.
Old 01-14-09, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder what the charge was (for the arrest) and was there a conviction.
Old 01-14-09, 02:21 PM
enycetony
Rookie

please delete

Old 01-15-09, 12:25 PM
enycetony
Rookie

has anyone been through this type of problem before that might know what I should do? i'll check out the DMV later this week if I can but I do work mon- sat so it will be hard to get things done.
Old 01-19-09, 09:23 PM
enycetony
Rookie

please delete

Old 01-20-09, 09:38 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enycetony
i'm still looking for a possible answer to this problem if anyone knows anything
As previously noted, GO TALK TO THE DMV. Anything else is breathless speculation.
Old 01-21-09, 08:23 AM
enycetony
Rookie

I would like to add that I do have a CLEAN title to the car, and if you carfax the VIN that I own on that title, it is also clean. The case was closed and I transferred ownership after it was closed with no issues at all. Does this mean that I can register the car as well with no problem?

Quick Reply: VIN problem... seeking help