Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG Boss: "HorsePower War is Over"

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The contradiction is the IS is faster. Period. So they have can have their 30 more hp.

The GS and IS had the most HP in class and were fastest in class. Infiniti has never had the fastest car in class anything.

Acura is a complete lol stating "the TL is the most powerful Acura ever" at a paltry 305 hp or so and its SLOWER than the Accord and cars like the Altima, Camry, etc.

AMG on the other hand has the most power AND is fastest in class.
amen, i thought after this thread people would realize hp isn't everything. efficiency and overall performance are what counts. is350 is faster and handle better than g37, with great gas mileage.
Old 01-15-09, 12:41 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest, what i appreciate most about the AMG cars is that when you feel like it, you CAN drive it like a NORMAL CAR.

it rides like a normal car until you want to unleash the beast.
Old 01-15-09, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Acura is wrong, period. They are not a luxury brand are clueless and should stay as Hondas. V-8s and bigger engines have been around for DECADES and nearly 100 years. There has always been a war!!!

What makes Acura even more laughable and pitiful is they are NOT EVEN EFFICIENT or class leading in efficiency. They are mid pack or to the rear. What the hell is the point of NOT offering V-8s and bigger if your not even fuel efficient? Its pathetic.

This was very evident when cars initially came along and were raced to prove who was better in Europe. Who was the fastest or the biggest was a big deal and helped sell cars.
I know it's a little off-topic, but I was referring more to what the future holds for Acura than the past....what has held in the past may not be the case in a changing future world of less-powerful engines.

I agree that Acura engines are not as efficient as their Honda cousins, but, as I see it, they're not supposed to be. Acura is not in the buisness of building econoboxes. Even the small four-cylinder jobs they've done; cars like the Integra, RSX, and TSX; have been more sport/performance-oriented than economy cars. And the four-cylinder RDX SUV (trust me) is VERY sport-oriented.
Old 01-15-09, 07:33 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
to be honest, what i appreciate most about the AMG cars is that when you feel like it, you CAN drive it like a NORMAL CAR.

it rides like a normal car until you want to unleash the beast.
Hmmm...sounds familiar.

Something like what Lexus figured out with the IS F?
Old 01-15-09, 07:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Acura's message is muddled. Therefore they are not considered with the premium brands that includes Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.
Old 01-15-09, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Sorry Mike, lets all get back on the topic. Acura has never been in any kind of HP battle let alone war. If Benz is Germany and Lexus is Japan, Acura is Kazakhstan.

Old 01-15-09, 08:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And I am banging Halle Berry every Friday night... Maybe

Mercedes will continue to churn out powerful motors.. Mercedes will not allow Audi & BMW to steam roll over them in the horsepower department.. BS.
Old 01-15-09, 08:29 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ha, ha I don't believe AMG. Mercedes (AMG) has crushed every car company in the Horsepower/Torque War. Honestly, you can keep your fuel-efficient car. If I want a fuel-efficient car, I will purchase a 4-cylinder vehicle. If I’m going to spend more than 50k, I want something with some power. However, this is just my opinion.

Letter to AMG: Don't do it. When I test-drove the CLS55 the first thing I stated on the highway was oh my god this thing is fast.

Honestly who goes into a Mb dealership and ask the salesperson what’s the mpg on this vehicle? Ha ha
Old 01-15-09, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Acura has never been in any kind of HP battle let alone war. If Benz is Germany and Lexus is Japan, Acura is Kazakhstan.
Of course, Mike. I'm not questioning that...we can both agree on that. I was only referring to the (apparent) reasons for that. And, like Hondas, most Acura engines have traditionally produced more top-end HP than torque (the RDX turbo-four is an exception). Most Honda/Acura engines are noted for low torque levels, more so than HP.
Old 01-15-09, 11:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course, Mike. I'm not questioning that...we can both agree on that. I was only referring to the (apparent) reasons for that. And, like Hondas, most Acura engines have traditionally produced more top-end HP than torque (the RDX turbo-four is an exception). Most Honda/Acura engines are noted for low torque levels, more so than HP.
Acuras are known for NO torque levels. Their torque is so low, people are HAPPY about the RDX or RL having 250 or 270 lbs or so. That is very low in the grand scheme of things. Its also b/c they are used to having 30 lbs of torque in the past. So anything over 200 to them is a big wow.

We should not be talking bout Acura b/c they don't have one car over 310hp. They don't have one over 400hp. They don't have one over 500hp. Kia of all brands has more HP than any Acura. KIa. Kia. Kia. Kia. Thier fastest car was incredible and timeless and legendary 290hp NSX.

As a matter of fact, Acuras most powerful car has less than 1/2 the power of the highest AMG car.

The ITR and NSX were known for screaming high revving engines, not torque. That is what made that "fun" you had to be highly involved to get them moving.

Again, Acura shouldn't be mentioned in this thread as the following brands have more power AND/Or are faster than them.
Hyundai
Ford
GM
Pontiac
Kia
Chevrolet
Volvo
Cadillac
Infiniti
etc etc etc

Moving back to AMG they are incredible. They extend this with the black series. I don't think we have EVER seen such a complete lineup of power from anyone, ever.

Old 01-15-09, 01:01 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Hmmm...sounds familiar.

Something like what Lexus figured out with the IS F?
i dunno if that's 100% true. I sat in my cousin's IS-F and it somehow rides a little harsher than i expected. It is blazing fast tho.
Old 01-15-09, 02:11 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
i dunno if that's 100% true. I sat in my cousin's IS-F and it somehow rides a little harsher than i expected. It is blazing fast tho.
Compared to your CLS I would 100% agree with you (sweet ride btw), but if you were to compare it to the C63, it's true competition, the ride quality is no better in the AMG.
Old 01-15-09, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
but if you were to compare it to the C63, it's true competition, the ride quality is no better in the AMG.
Based on my (admittedly) limited experience in both cars (I've reviewed them both), I'd have to say that, with correct tire PSI, the C63 AMG is noticeably smoother than the IS-F, and had a distinctly better ride/handling combination. That is not surprising.....the Germans, in general, have some of the best chassis engineers in the auto industry, particularly at BMW.
Old 01-15-09, 02:43 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Based on my (admittedly) limited experience in both cars (I've reviewed them both), I'd have to say that, with correct tire PSI, the C63 AMG is noticeably smoother than the IS-F, and had a distinctly better ride/handling combination. That is not surprising.....the Germans, in general, have some of the best chassis engineers in the auto industry, particularly at BMW.
I didn't mention anything about the suspension/handling?
I have never contended that the F handles as well as the Germans....that has always been the gap that exists. That becomes even more apparent at the track where the BMW and MB have shown to outperform the F....albeit by not a large margin.

As usual, we'll agree to disagree about the ride quality of the F.

Keep in mind....perception is an individual's reality.
Old 01-15-09, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i drove and rode in m3, is-f, and c63. surprisingly, i think the is-f rides the stiffest and also the loudest. the c63 is also loud, but the is-f exhaust seems to drone a bit more inside the cabin in local driving. the is-f suspension is stiff but ok to me. m3 is actually the quietest of the 3 from what i can tell

Quick Reply: AMG Boss: "HorsePower War is Over"