Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG Boss: "HorsePower War is Over"

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 09:42 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AMG Boss: "HorsePower War is Over"

01/14/2009, 12:22 PM

Mercedes-Benz’ AMG performance brand is best known for its wildly powerful vehicles, but the division’s era of 600+ horsepower creations looks to be coming to an end. Instead, the performance brand will look to use other approaches to ensure AMG levels of performance.

Car enthusiasts have enjoyed a horsepower run over the last few years that makes a 400 horsepower car seem underpowered, but AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg warns those days are over. “The horsepower war is over,” he told Autocar. “We are going to use other ways to extract better performance, including weight saving, engine optimisation and alternative technologies.”

The move to reduce power is a direct result of more stringent emissions regulations worldwide, but that doesn’t mean AMG will be producing boring cars anytime soon. Mornhinweg indicated that the upcoming E63 AMG would be the first vehicle to display AMG’s new way of thinking, with the new performance sedan being lighter and more efficient that its predecessor — all while delivering better performance. However, the next E63 AMG is only the start of the division’s green movement, with diesels, hybrids and possibly even smaller four-cylinder models on the way.
Old 01-14-09, 09:48 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About effing time...
Old 01-14-09, 10:00 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. I'd love to see what kinds of lightweight innovations they'll bring about
Old 01-14-09, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Its clear AMG WON the war and beat everyone to a bloody pulp. THey have by far the most vast and amazing line of higher peformance cars around. From the van R63 to the incredible SL Black Series. They also look amazing and have sold more but remained special.

No one else could begin to keep up, not BMW, not Audi and surely not LExus. Even Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari got slapped.

Lets see what they come up with next.

Old 01-14-09, 10:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Didn't Audi said something similar a while ago?
Old 01-14-09, 10:23 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I think it's the combination of the following two reasons:

1. They beat everybody

2. The stringent fuel economy requirement
Old 01-14-09, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's funny this coming from the company that pushes power like no tomorrow. don't know what to trust. i will believe when mb really starts coming down on power and focus on other stuff like balance.
Old 01-14-09, 11:04 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They said that few times before and guess what? They still have 65s and BS in their line up.
Old 01-14-09, 11:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The war is just changing with the times.
Old 01-14-09, 11:56 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No, Mercedes built high horsepower cars using brute displacement and supercharging instead of investing in efficient technologies. If you look at their cars in general they have the worst fuel consumption. They're finally joining the 21st century.
Old 01-14-09, 12:06 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMG just lucky the strict gov't rule save them from lexus LF taking over in 5 years.

Reducing weight? I think you see more CF on vehicle & lighter rims. Smaller engine w/ high output(turbo/charger).
Old 01-14-09, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
[FONT="Georgia"]

[COLOR="Navy"] 01/14/2009, 12:22 PM

The move to reduce power is a direct result of more stringent emissions regulations worldwide, but that doesn’t mean AMG will be producing boring cars anytime soon.

Even if power DOES come down, that doesn't mean a car is "boring". For too long, many auto "enthusiasts" and the auto press have associated driving "fun" with low 0-60 times, ever-higher skidpad/slalom speeds, drifting/powerslides, monstrous brakes, and the general desire to push the envelope as much as possible. And, filling up gas tanks frequently, replacing worn-out tires, brakes, and shocks, and paying high insurance bills to support that kind of driving is not my idea of "fun" either.

In the future, the days are coming when people will be grateful just being able to get into a car and drive it, period. Simply being able to go from Point A to Point B without undue expense and hassle will be considered a luxury. 500 and 600 HP monsters like the AMG cars are going to be a distant memory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-09 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 03:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even if power DOES come down, that doesn't mean a car is "boring". For too long, many auto "enthusiasts" and the auto press have associated driving "fun" with low 0-60 times, ever-higher skidpad/slalom speeds, drifting/powerslides, monstrous brakes, and the general desire to push the envelope as much as possible. And, filling up gas tanks frequently, replacing worn-out tires, brakes, and shocks, and paying high insurance bills to support that kind of driving is not my idea of "fun" either.

In the future, the days are coming when people will be grateful just being able to get into a car and drive it, period. Simply being able to go from Point A to Point B without undue expense and hassle will be considered a luxury. 500 and 600 HP monsters like the AMG cars are going to be a distant memory.
different kind of fun there, with what you say everyone can drive a corolla and be super fun, but i can already tell you my wife rejected that proposal from me months ago for obvious reasons

i think people should get cars for what they can afford and justify. those asking for high performance cars but whine about the maintenance and brakes and tires, they aren't really in the right state of mind. they are asking for those cars for the brag rather than the fun. those who get those cars for fun, they are willing to pay the money.
Old 01-14-09, 03:17 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-14-09, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
different kind of fun there, with what you say everyone can drive a corolla and be super fun, but i can already tell you my wife rejected that proposal from me months ago for obvious reasons
Did you show her the Corolla S and XRS models? The XRS has the high-RPM VVTi-four found in the former Celica GT and Matrix XRS. It resoonds pretty good at high RPM but doesn't have much low-RPM torque.

i think people should get cars for what they can afford and justify. those asking for high performance cars but whine about the maintenance and brakes and tires, they aren't really in the right state of mind. they are asking for those cars for the brag rather than the fun. those who get those cars for fun, they are willing to pay the money.
Agreed, Henry, but more than just money and affordability is going to be at stake in the future. Traffic congestion, taxes, new speed limits (mostly in Europe), "user" fees, higher fuel prices, emissions, (possible) new laws regulating power and types of fuel used, alternate fuels, laws governing traffic flow during rush hours......a lot of things are going to affect how we drive in the future (some things we can't even plan for now), not just how much we can afford out our pockets or how much HP we want under the hood.

Also, on the brake/tire/maintenance issues.......I wasn't talking about just routine service and tires, brake pads, shocks, etc...being replaced from normal driving, but the premature wear (and replacement needs) that come from aggressive driving, particularly drifting....that will ruin a set of tires in a hurry. Replacing a set of V or Z-rated high-performance tires (which don't normally last long to start with because of the soft tread compounds) can run into some real money.

But, as for the future, don't get me wrong.....it won't be THAT bad. There will still be a place for the private car....and even some of what you would call "fun" private cars. It just is going to be somewhat more restrictive then in the past, though....the days of unlimited driving and HP are coming to a close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-09 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: AMG Boss: "HorsePower War is Over"