Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Work USA/Ravspeconline

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 10:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I wouldnt exclude a company based on one persons experiences either. But if the problem continues to happen then I think some people will start to question the quality. Also Henry brings up some very good points. hope this works out for you Reggie

from what rominl is saying it doesnt sound so isolated
Old 01-15-09, 10:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I sure hope he didnt write the ENGRISH manual himself...

Goodluck getting a resolution. I know most reputable retailers and manufacturers would at least attempt to work with you; however, without seeing any correspondence between all of you, it would be hard to say they didnt try.

This person at Work seems to lack a degree of professionalism anyway because I would find it hard to believe that they would respond in that manner at on a message board through someone else.
not only do they respond through another person, but then they give a plug to sell wheels from the 09 line. I guess you should stick with larger wheel companies.
Old 01-15-09, 10:34 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

March 2007 was the purchase date of these rims. How long is Work Wheels warranty for? 1 year? Are these rims still within the warranty period? Over 20 months is a long time.
Old 01-15-09, 10:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
March 2007 was the purchase date of these rims. How long is Work Wheels warranty for? 1 year? Are these rims still within the warranty period? Over 20 months is a long time.
I have had chrome wheels that were 3.5 years old and had less surface issues than that wheel. What are these work wheels supposed to be disposable. I had a feeling the work and even volk wheel hype was just hype. Not to say they dont put out great quality stuff, but its obvious they are no different than from any other big name wheel company in terms of quality issues.
Old 01-16-09, 01:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
from what rominl is saying it doesnt sound so isolated
i suggest re-read, i actually think it's pretty isolated. and if anything, what i said kind of point in the direction that issues around these areas are due to labor problem rather than manufacturer defects. fwiw, so many friends of mine have work wheels (and some for years) and they have nothing but good to say about work

hype? what hype, please define. hype is when you think something is but they are not. i don't think anyone say jdm wheels are the best, but most say they are good. and unless you can prove they are all bad, there is no hype about it
Old 01-16-09, 03:57 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to OP:

Customer service is why I stopped doing business with some online vendors.

Vivid Racing is horrible.
Old 01-16-09, 05:43 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've calmed down this morning and feeling better. I snapped at wifey last nite and that's not good. She's a trooper though and accepted my apology.

Looking at your posts, I can see that some of you believe it's probably not Work's fault.....instead the installers could have knicked the wheels. Anything's possible but I watched them and they were being careful so I don't buy that. I still believe it was the manufacturing process but since I can't prove it, I'm forced to chill.
I may take a chance on high end wheels again but I will only buy from a local store. That way they take the blame if there are installation excuses, haha! Seriously, you get better customer service buying locally. Installation is cheaper to.

If I came on too strong with anyone on this thread, I apologize to you as well. I still think Jim at Work was tacky for plugging the new wheels on this thread. I still didn't appreciate Rick at Ravspec asking to sell me more wheels when he didn't try to help solve the problem....but all I can do is tell others of my experience. No need to get upset. I just hate unfairness.
Old 01-16-09, 07:25 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much would it be to have the wheel refinished?
Old 01-16-09, 07:37 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
how much would it be to have the wheel refinished?
I can get them painted for $100 a piece. I wouldn't want to just buff off the clearcoat, I wouldn't 2 wheel with clear and 2 without. The clear coat make them look better and protects from the elements.
I'm going to get new wheels eventually. I may sell these or keep them for whatever car I add to the fleet. I want an SC400 but I believe these will fit on the G37 which require higher offsets than the G35 did. If someone makes an offer I can't refuse, I'll sell. Since the wheels also have curb rash, I can let them go real cheap.
I think the best option is to paint them and put em on the SC when I get it.
Old 01-16-09, 08:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

unfortunately this is typical response by a greedy company these days....sucks.

very rare now that a company will stand behind their product(s).

I think you do better just buying cheap stuff, that way you're less likely to be disappointed.
Old 01-16-09, 11:03 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldn't you just have the clearcoat removed, have it fixed and then another clearcoat put on? It would be only one wheel so shouldn't be that expensive.
Old 01-16-09, 11:08 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the issue is really only limited to the clearcoat Im sure it can be repaired, however, if you have to start refinishing metal underneath and what not then Id be afraid of it not matching the others after.
Old 01-16-09, 01:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
If the issue is really only limited to the clearcoat Im sure it can be repaired, however, if you have to start refinishing metal underneath and what not then Id be afraid of it not matching the others after.
One of our members who sells wheels looked at it. He says it's the clearcoat that's is being affected. You won't know for sure until the clear is taken off. COuld be metal being corroded but I doubt it. This same thing happened to the Maya's I had...only worse. There was never any danger of something happening to the metal. It was all cosmetic. The finish only.
It's 2 wheels that have the problem. I was concerned about putting on another coat and having them not match but I guess I could put them both on the same side.
I'm not too concerned anymore. I'n not in a hurry to do something. Even if this had not happened I was going to buy more wheels. I prefer 5 spoke wheels and that's next. I can live with these a while. Only us car nuts would even see it and that's only if you look closely. If something worse happens before I'm ready to get something else, I got the stockers ready to go back on.
Old 01-16-09, 01:59 PM
RavSpec
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I've calmed down this morning and feeling better. I snapped at wifey last nite and that's not good. She's a trooper though and accepted my apology.

Looking at your posts, I can see that some of you believe it's probably not Work's fault.....instead the installers could have knicked the wheels. Anything's possible but I watched them and they were being careful so I don't buy that. I still believe it was the manufacturing process but since I can't prove it, I'm forced to chill.
I may take a chance on high end wheels again but I will only buy from a local store. That way they take the blame if there are installation excuses, haha! Seriously, you get better customer service buying locally. Installation is cheaper to.

If I came on too strong with anyone on this thread, I apologize to you as well. I still think Jim at Work was tacky for plugging the new wheels on this thread. I still didn't appreciate Rick at Ravspec asking to sell me more wheels when he didn't try to help solve the problem....but all I can do is tell others of my experience. No need to get upset. I just hate unfairness.
Reggie,

Again, I wasn't trying to sell you new wheels, I was offering to replace the damaged one at under cost.

I'm glad to see that your are not as upset anymore, and really hope my post doesn't ruin that.

Just out of curiosity, were these wheels balanced at the same place as the Mayas with the same issue?

I'd suggest going to a different place next time, since this may have been the cause of the damage. (take your center caps off and check if the clear is chipping where the the balancing machine would have affected it)

Rick G.
Old 01-16-09, 08:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RavSpec
Reggie,

Again, I wasn't trying to sell you new wheels, I was offering to replace the damaged one at under cost.

I'm glad to see that your are not as upset anymore, and really hope my post doesn't ruin that.

Just out of curiosity, were these wheels balanced at the same place as the Mayas with the same issue?

I'd suggest going to a different place next time, since this may have been the cause of the damage. (take your center caps off and check if the clear is chipping where the the balancing machine would have affected it)

Rick G.
No, different shop.

There's a guy in this thread who says his Traffic Stars (which are Maya) had the same problem. There is another guy on clublexus selling his Maya's and one wheel has that problem. My old Maya's had the problem. Now these Work wheels have the problem. WOrk and Maya wheels are made by the same manufacturer ( I heard this from Dazz and read it in a magazine). There is something wrong with the manufacturing process.

I am going to take the center cap off and examine the wheel with a magnifying glass. I'll bet you a wheel there is no crack in the clearcoat.

This is what you should have done the first time....talk to me...ask questions...make suggestions...not tell me there is nothing you can do. Think about it, no customer wants to hear that.

Quick Reply: Work USA/Ravspeconline