Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Work USA/Ravspeconline

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 07:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Work USA/Ravspeconline

I have a problem with my Work T1S wheels. Here's a pic of the corrosion and the reply from Jim at Work USA

Hi Rick,

This look to be contamination. What ever the solvant or chemical probably got to it.

Sinced the wheel is clear coated, that area can be buffed out.

I suggest have customer take to wheel repair or finishing shop, this should be a simple fix.

Not covered under warranty.

Thanks,

Jim ****
WORK Wheels US A / AKH Trading Inc.
Tel: 714-968-7040/ Fax: 714-968-7050
AOL IM: WORK Wheels USA

The reply from Rick at Ravspeconline is that the decision is totally up to Work and there is nothing he can do. Normally I understand that but it bother me that the guy from Work says the corrosion was caused by the way I clean my wheels. If that were true, the whole wheel would look like this. This corrosion is under the clearcoat. How could my soap get under the clearcoat. One of our members here thinks the coating could have cracked where the center cap was puched in. That's possible but even if trus, the wheel should be made better. The center cap has to be pushed in. The clearcoat should be able to withstand the force needed to push in the cap. Since it's clear that my cleaning techniques did not cause this, I expect the dealer to try supporting my side with Work. But he won't....and he expects me to not tell people about this....and he asked me to buy replacemnt wheels from him. That just pissed me off. Am I in the wrong here?

Last edited by Ice350; 01-15-09 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-15-09, 08:05 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest, stuff happens.

I had similar problem dealing with Konigs, what a bunch of ***** heads they have over at Konigs.
Old 01-15-09, 08:09 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
To be honest, stuff happens.

I had similar problem dealing with Konigs, what a bunch of ***** heads they have over at Konigs.
I know that stuff happens....your point is????
You're I should buy a product that comes with a warranty and when it fails I just accept it? Is that what you do?
I'm not attacking you I just wanna know is that what people do these days?
I hope not.
Old 01-15-09, 08:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This should be merged with your low cost wheels thread Reg.. What is the age of these wheels? My low cost Axis Milano wheels on my GS400 has been exposed to harsh North East winters (including dry rock salt) over the years and there was never a sign of peeling clear coat.. Unacceptable imo..
Old 01-15-09, 08:23 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These wheels arent that old right? I have clearcoat on my iForged and they are over 3 years old and this hasnt happened to them. So I say it isnt normal at all. I would take it to a refinishing shop and see what will need to be done to fix and see if they can tell what exactly caused this. Then with that info go back to the dealer and let him know and see if anything can be done. The problem with most aftermarket companies is that they dont stand behind their products anymore and if something goes wrong they tell you tough s*!& and to go away.
Old 01-15-09, 08:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This should be merged with your low cost wheels thread Reg.. What is the age of these wheels? My low cost Axis Milano wheels on my GS400 has been exposed to harsh North East winters (including dry rock salt) over the years and there was never a sign of peeling clear coat.. Unacceptable imo..
I got these wheels in March 07.
That's what I think...this is unacceptible for a reputable company.
I may never buy wheels from an internet/out state company again because they do nothing to help you (except people like D2). For work to just dismiss the situation so quickly and say that I used harsh chemicals just pisses me off. Definitely, I will never buy Works again.
Just goes to show, everyone around here says buy high quality wheels. What's the definition of high quality? You don't know and should never criticize lower cost wheels. They seem to hold up much better than these high cost crap wheels. My old Maya's had the same problem. I was told the Maya's would have been covered under warranty if it happened under the warranty period. The difference, I bought them from a local dealer. They still tried to get it covered. I appreciated them trying. This Ravspec company...this guy just throws his hands up and says he won't even try. Tells me to deal with WOrk directly and they won't reply to any of my emails.
I'm done with long distance shopping for high doller items. I feel so helpless. If it were local I'd be in their face with a big sign every day. All I can do now id post my frustration over the net. I'm done with this.
Old 01-15-09, 08:46 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The point is that with Wheel companies, trying to get them to stand behind their product is impossible, unless your wheel blew up and you suffer life threatening injuries and sue them.

The point is with small stuff like yours, they will shut you down and deny you every time that you cry and complain to them about, I doubt they even give a f----.

The impression I get from a lot of aftermarket companies is that its always the customers fault, and it really makes me mad as the company I work for takes so much accountability for our Vendors product when we are just a distributor.

And its always the same thing:

You...

didnt wash your wheels
washed them improperly
didn't inflate your tires
inflate them too much
drive too reckless
drive too fast
messed them up when mounting

and the list goes on and on and on
Old 01-15-09, 08:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
The point is that with Wheel companies, trying to get them to stand behind their product is impossible, unless your wheel blew up and you suffer life threatening injuries and sue them.

The point is with small stuff like yours, they will shut you down and deny you every time that you cry and complain to them about, I doubt they even give a f----.

The impression I get from a lot of aftermarket companies is that its always the customers fault, and it really makes me mad as the company I work for takes so much accountability for our Vendors product when we are just a distributor.

And its always the same thing:

You...

didnt wash your wheels
washed them improperly
didn't inflate your tires
inflate them too much
drive too reckless
drive too fast
messed them up when mounting

and the list goes on and on and on
Now I understand your point. You're saying that in your experience, nothing I say will matter.
One thing I can do, I can post this experience on every site I am a member of. Many people will say it's just the luck of the draw and ignore it. But there will be some who are afraid to spend their hard earned cash on a wheel that one person had an issue with. Especially when they can see the pics themselves and see WOrk's lame reply. If I cost them one sale, I feel better.
At least what I say will be the truth. I have a failed product under warranty where my behavior didn't cause the problem...and I get brushed off. Yes, the internet will hear of this.
Old 01-15-09, 10:26 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear about this man. That's just not right. That's not good service after the sale.

Do you have a similar pic of the wheel without the center cap on?
Old 01-15-09, 10:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do you wax your wheels?

posting on the internet is the only thing you can do.
if you post the wheel model name, this could show up as a hit on Google.
The least you can do is turn customers away from Work, and make them lose a little.

I'm guessing that the whole wheel can be re-cleared and look like new again. It's brushed aluminum. that would be hard to mess up.
Old 01-15-09, 11:31 AM
RavSpec
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reggie,

Just because you didn't get the resolution you were looking for, doesn't mean I didn't try my best to help you.

I wasn't looking to make any money at all on the replacement I offered you, sorry it just upset you more.

Rick G.
Old 01-15-09, 12:29 PM
RavSpec
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim From WORK Wheels USA asked me to please post this:

Dear Club Lexus Members,

I like to take this opportunity to respond to this post. The response is fairly general. As you can see from my response, I never indicated or accuse that Mr. King did this himself. I just like to clarify this.

Now, Hub Bore area + Lug hole area are the two common areas where any wheel suffer the most scuffs. Usually is causes simply by taking the wheels on and off the vehicle. The center bore area commonly get scuffs from hitting the wheel hub center when taking on and off the wheel, and the torquing of the lug nuts does compromise the finishes inside the bolt holes. Yes, many people may not noticed this. As consumers take their cars to car wash or wash the wheel without prior noticing the scuffs thus the moistures / solvant or cleaning agent can seep through the scuffed area.. which over time cause contamination. MSP (Machine Silver Polish) is a clear coated wheel. However the top surface of the spokes are machined and then clear coated, this is what gives the lustrious shine and provide the unique look that so many consumers desired. However, when the clear coat is compromised moisture gets under it.. and raw aluminum finish is much more likely to get contaminated and shows up under the clear coat. Which appear just like the picture Mr. King provided. Each WORK wheel purchase include a ENGLISH version of WORK Wheels Instruction Manual. The manual contain many helpfull information to help consumer better understand about our products and how to care for them. Please, take the time to read it, it will help you to minimize these type of issue.

As for Mr. King's case. Rav-Spec has offer a reasonable solution to help Mr. King, but it seem Mr. King is not responsive.

On behalf of AKH Trading Inc. / WORK Wheels USA thank you for taking your time to read this post.

We have just release some new wheels for 2009, please visit our website at www.workwheelsusa.com

Thank you,

Jim ****
WORK Wheels USA

Jim ****
WORK Wheels USA / AKH Trading Inc.
Old 01-15-09, 12:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RavSpec
Jim From WORK Wheels USA asked me to please post this:

Dear Club Lexus Members,

I like to take this opportunity to respond to this post. The response is fairly general. As you can see from my response, I never indicated or accuse that Mr. King did this himself. I just like to clarify this.

Now, Hub Bore area + Lug hole area are the two common areas where any wheel suffer the most scuffs. Usually is causes simply by taking the wheels on and off the vehicle. The center bore area commonly get scuffs from hitting the wheel hub center when taking on and off the wheel, and the torquing of the lug nuts does compromise the finishes inside the bolt holes. Yes, many people may not noticed this. As consumers take their cars to car wash or wash the wheel without prior noticing the scuffs thus the moistures / solvant or cleaning agent can seep through the scuffed area.. which over time cause contamination. MSP (Machine Silver Polish) is a clear coated wheel. However the top surface of the spokes are machined and then clear coated, this is what gives the lustrious shine and provide the unique look that so many consumers desired. However, when the clear coat is compromised moisture gets under it.. and raw aluminum finish is much more likely to get contaminated and shows up under the clear coat. Which appear just like the picture Mr. King provided. Each WORK wheel purchase include a ENGLISH version of WORK Wheels Instruction Manual. The manual contain many helpfull information to help consumer better understand about our products and how to care for them. Please, take the time to read it, it will help you to minimize these type of issue.

As for Mr. King's case. Rav-Spec has offer a reasonable solution to help Mr. King, but it seem Mr. King is not responsive.

On behalf of AKH Trading Inc. / WORK Wheels USA thank you for taking your time to read this post.

We have just release some new wheels for 2009, please visit our website at www.workwheelsusa.com

Thank you,

Jim ****
WORK Wheels USA

Jim ****
WORK Wheels USA / AKH Trading Inc.
If you had taken the time to try offering an explanation the first time, I may not have reacted so strongly.
Second you're assuming the clearcoat was compromized by something hitting the clearcoat. What in the world is gonna hit it in the area where the corrosion is. The lugs nor lug power wrench can make contact in that spot. I don't use strong chemicals to clean wheels. It's clear this was caused by the water that gets into the hub area and it just sits there. What am I supposed to do, take the wheels off after it rains??? You're just making yourself look silly. I baby my wheels and I know there will be scuffs, road rash, whatever.....but I know where every blemish, mark or scratch is. There were no scuff marks on this wheel when they were installed and they haven't been off the car. The installation was done professionally and it was expensive. No, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Third....DON"T OFFER YOUR PRODUCTS IN MY THREAD !!!! That makes you look really silly. Now you've really done it. I am going to place this thread everywhere I can now.

And Rick, you said, and I have the e-mails...that there is nothing you can do. If your relationship with WOrk is more important your customers, so be it. You told me to deal with WOrk directly. Jim didn't even reply. That's a slap in the face. It was an insult to then offer to sell me more wheels. You didn't say the price would be at your cost. Get off my thread. Start another with your lies.

Last edited by Ice350; 01-15-09 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 01:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I'm glad Jim and Rick came on this thread. Now people can see for themselves how they don't care about their customers.
My wheels have corrosion, probably from improperly applying the clearcoat....I don't know but whatever the cause is not my fault and they won't replace their defective product that is still under warranty.
I always wondered why so many people sold their Work wheels so soon after buying them...maybe this is why. There were signs of problems brewing.

Bottom line lot's of people ask me for recommendations and I will never recommend WOrk. On the contrary, I have no choice but to tell people of this entire experience. I most definitely won't recommend Ravspec to buy anything. Not even a lug. It might get lost in transit and they won't replace it.
Old 01-15-09, 01:36 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
If you had taken the time to try offering an explanation the first time, I may not have reacted so strongly.
Second you're assuming the clearcoat was compromized by something hitting the clearcoat. What in the world is gonna hit it in the area where the corrosion is. The lugs nor lug power wrench can make contact in that spot. I don't use strong chemicals to clean wheels. It's clear this was caused by the water that gets into the hub area and it just sits there. What am I supposed to do, take the wheels off after it rains??? You're just making yourself look silly.
Third....DON"T OFFER YOUR PRODUCTS IN MY THREAD !!!! That makes you look like a fool. Now you've really done it. I am going to place this thread everywhere I can now.

And Rick, you said, and I have the e-mails...that there is nothing you can do. If your relationship with WOrk is more important your customers, so be it. You told me to deal with WOrk directly. Jim didn't even reply. That's a slap in the face. It was an insult to then offer to sell me more wheels. You didn't say the price would be at your cost. Get off my thread. Start another with your lies.
Ice,

Wow. I can still sense your heated fustration with this issue.

I'm gathering that you honestly do believe you did not damage this wheel to cause it's current state and your first initital course of action to Reg & Work seemed to not be as important of an issue as it is for you.

That being said, it seemed like Reg is trying to reach out and appease as much as he can and the letter from Work is well, more of a general acknowledgement of your issue than anything else.

It can be downright fustrating after spending lots of hard-to-come-by-$$ these days, plus $hipping plus time only to have such support!!??!!
I believe each and every situation should be given utmost attention on it's own merit, such as yours because the individual purchase is important and means the world to "that" buyer and if they fail to support or fail in genuine attempt to appease an unhappy (though honest legit complaint) customer, well you've just taken the wind out of his/her sail, which is no fun!

Ice I agree, I think it was thoughtless for Mr. **** to post new products in the same email of an unresolved issue! Also, it does seem (only from the info. I've gathered in this thread) that Reg has been trying to work with you.

Though i'm not in your shoes, take a break, have a glass of water and take some deep breaths (it does work with trying to relax) and give Reg another try to work with you.......and I do hope, if your claim is justified that this does work out whereby everyone wins......that is, you get this corrected and RavSpec gets some more business, and in the process everyone learns and wins!

Did anyone fall asleep yet? lol

Good luck! and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Work USA/Ravspeconline