Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Say goodbye to the PT Cruiser...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 01:22 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Rest in peace PT Cruiser...see you in another lifetime...
Old 06-29-10, 01:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The PT cruiser has gone longer without a style change than any other car. It holds the record so to call the styling stale is a damn understatement
Old 06-29-10, 01:53 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
oh thank goodness this thing's going to stop being made.
I agree. I got one as a rental car back in 2005 on a trip to Monterey. What a terrible, terrible car. Visibility is bad, the car is very uncomfortable, and it's ugly. The performance was also not good. What a roach of a car.
Old 06-29-10, 02:12 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i seen pt with some 20s few months back,,,priceless
Old 06-29-10, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree that the PT Cruiser, though neat-looking from a retro standpoint, was, like other Chrysler products, not impressively-built, and used some cheap materials. FIAT, of course, once meant "Fix it Again, Tony".......and we'll see if some 20-25 years since Fiat last sold cars in the American market has made any difference, quality-wise. The surface fit/finish on the 500s I looked at January at the D.C. Auto show (3 were on display, including an all-electric model) looked OK, but I got only limited views of the interior, as they were not out on the floor. And good fit/finish on the skin, of course, does not necessarily mean reliability under the skin, as Jaguar and Land Rover have proven.
Old 06-29-10, 04:12 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Whatever Fiat-designed car replaces the PT Cruiser, it better be a lot bigger than the Fiat 500 I saw parked in our neighborhood a couple weeks ago. Heck, it wasn't much bigger than a Smart Car with a back seat.
Old 06-29-10, 05:10 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only see one of these maybe once a week (possibly less) so I really didn't know it was produced for more than a couple years.
Old 06-29-10, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Whatever Fiat-designed car replaces the PT Cruiser, it better be a lot bigger than the Fiat 500 I saw parked in our neighborhood a couple weeks ago. Heck, it wasn't much bigger than a Smart Car with a back seat.
Well, that, of course, will be up to the Fiat marketers.....they dictate the trends at Chrysler now. If they do decide what you suggest and go with a bigger product than the 500, Fiat has at least one or two European mid-sized/minivan platforms, about the PT Cruiser's size, that could possibly be reworked, with a different body, into a PT Cruiser replacement.

But, judging from the Fiat 500s I saw at the D.C. Auto Show this year and what the Chrysler/Dodge people told me there (Fiat, unfortunately, didn't send any reps to the D.C. show....just 3 cars), it looks like the company is committed to introducing the 500 here by the end of the year.
Old 06-29-10, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Merged with old news

Old 06-29-10, 07:42 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The PT cruiser has gone longer without a style change than any other car. It holds the record so to call the styling stale is a damn understatement
The Lexus SC430 has been out just as long and even more unchanged than the PT. The PT did get a mid-life facelift (new interior, headlights, grill, trim lines, ect.).

Originally Posted by link13
I agree. I got one as a rental car back in 2005 on a trip to Monterey. What a terrible, terrible car. Visibility is bad, the car is very uncomfortable, and it's ugly. The performance was also not good. What a roach of a car.
It has certainly been considered a POS since around '05 but when it came out in 2001 it was actually highly acclaimed not only by buyers but the auto press as well. For a Chrysler, the quality at the time was considered very good. It was praised for it's leading versatility and space in a relatively small package. And its MSRP was considered a steal. First year buyers were paying thousands above retail to acquire one.

Originally Posted by Faymester
I only see one of these maybe once a week (possibly less) so I really didn't know it was produced for more than a couple years.
There's tons of them cluttering the US. For it's first 2-3 years, these sold like hotcakes.
Old 06-29-10, 09:28 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.. whatever is Alamo rent-a-car going to do?
Old 06-29-10, 10:02 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I remember a friend of mine telling me that her Dad was super excited to get his and me thinking what hunk of crap it was. They all thought it was so cool. I see those things on the road where people fix em up and put wood trim or those solid hubcaps on em or do stupid retro kits to em, what a complete waste of energy and space.

I look at that car and the truly half hearted, weak a%% attempt that Chrysler took to simply pull anything out of their a%% to make money with no concern for quality and just shake my head. Shameless...
Old 06-29-10, 10:10 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Love them or hate them, but a PT crusier turbo is a great sleeper, having the same 2.4l turbo engine as the neon srt-4, and can be upgradded the same way. In stock form not the pretiest car, but when modded right, think 1930s hotrod, with custom paint etc.. they can look good. Also PT's are really popular with audio competations, you can fit all kinds of equiment, including big subwoofers very eaisily. It wil be remembered as a unique car.
Is this post serious?

If it is....LOL....justify it however you want the car is a complete and total pos.

Chrysler/Dodge should have died over a year ago. They are the only company out of the Big 3 that has made ZERO progress since their government bailout. A ridiculously bad company that deserves to die a swift death.
Old 06-29-10, 10:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a friend who had one and it wasnt anything impressive to me. The only thing interesting about the car WAS the styling ( and that was years ago)
Old 06-30-10, 02:14 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good riddance.

Quick Reply: Say goodbye to the PT Cruiser...