Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Say goodbye to the PT Cruiser...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 07:18 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

How fast can I say goodbye..........GOODBYE!
Old 06-30-10, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The PT cruiser has gone longer without a style change than any other car. It holds the record so to call the styling stale is a damn understatement
The VW New Beetle, which has remained the same, was introduced to the American market in 1998, almost two years before the PT Cruiser.

The Porsche Boxster, introduced in 1997, has also gone on without a major styling change. And, of course, the Porsche 911 dates back to 1964 with the same general body shape, though, of course, with numerous tweaks and minor re-designs along the way.

Though I agree that the PT Cruiser was not a particularly well-built car (typical of many Chrysler products) it's interesting that so many posters, today, are panning it and saying they're glad to see it go. When the PT debuted in 1999, it got the same reception from the public that a number of other out-of-the-ordinary vehicles did (the 2-seat Thunderbird, Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, to name a few). Supply, for a while, couldn't begin to keep up with initial demand. I talked to a guy, I remember, in a parking lot, who had just bought a brand-new white PT......they were very hard to get at that time. He told me he paid roughly a 5K markup for it. The money didn't faze him one bit; that was the car he wanted, and was willing to pay for it.
Old 06-30-10, 11:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The Porsche Boxster, introduced in 1997, has also gone on without a major styling change. And, of course, the Porsche 911 dates back to 1964 with the same general body shape, though, of course, with numerous tweaks and minor re-designs along the way.
Note:

Porsche Boxster had a major redesign and all new body in model year 2005, although styling theme remained similar for sure.

The basic/classic 911 body shape remains today, but the 911 has been through more than tweaks and minor redesigns (including a major redesign with the introduction of the 1999 water-cooled 911 in which no body parts, engines or suspension pieces were shared with previous versions).
Old 06-30-10, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I wonder how long the Chevy HHR will plug along? GM denies that the PT was a factor in its design (and has from Day One), but the HHR was, nevertheless, widely seen as the PT Cruiser's closest competitor. Of course, despite the similarities, the PT Cruiser's basic style-theme came from the "Gangster" cars of the late 1930's, while the HHR's was from the 1949 Suburban. Both, of course, were based on compact-sedan/coupe platforms; the HHR from the Cobalt's, and the PT's from the Dodge Neon.
Old 06-30-10, 11:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Good comparison HHR (a bit bigger and more useful, if not especially pleasant to drive) vs. PT, most around here are rental cars.
Old 06-30-10, 03:27 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HHR sucks, I had one for a rental when someone backed into my car. The only thing I liked about it is the paint orange paint job.
Old 06-30-10, 05:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
^^^ Good comparison HHR (a bit bigger and more useful, if not especially pleasant to drive) vs. PT, most around here are rental cars.
Originally Posted by mikez
HHR sucks, I had one for a rental when someone backed into my car. The only thing I liked about it is the paint orange paint job.
They are not much of a driving machine now are they. I've got one for a delivery vehicle for one of my businesses and it does serve it's purpose. Plenty of space and the large back panels logo very nicely so it stands out.
Old 06-30-10, 05:41 PM
LexFather

I don't mind these quirky cars at all..I just wish they were of better quality. It really adds some flavor to the segment.

Old 06-30-10, 06:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

My mother is not a car person....at all. She thinks they all look the same, drive the same and could care less about it as long as it gets her to point A-B safely and without problem. She doesnt even go car shopping. She leaves that to my Dad.

However, when this PT Cruiser came out, I saw a different side of her that I have never seen! She was extremely giddy. Equivalent to when she gets a new dress with the matching heels and purse. lol She even went to the dealership to test drive it. She NEVER does that....EVER!! She did like the drive and really wanted it, but the dealership was sold out for months and were charging way over sticker. So off to the usual Camry for her.

It ran its course and personally, I always felt like this vehicle was a one and done type of car. Not sad to see it go.
Old 06-30-10, 07:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
My mother is not a car person....at all. She thinks they all look the same, drive the same and could care less about it as long as it gets her to point A-B safely and without problem. She doesnt even go car shopping. She leaves that to my Dad.

However, when this PT Cruiser came out, I saw a different side of her that I have never seen! She was extremely giddy...
This part describes my mother who bought a 2002 PT Cruiser. Doesn't know a single thing about cars. I'm talking about not being able to tell the difference between a BMW and a KIA. But when the PT came out, her jaw dropped and she found the one car she was waiting for all of her life. This is of course because of it's retro antique look. She's an antique's buff and she loves anything from the 1950's and before. It was so nice seeing her excited about a car for the first time. It was also her first new car even at the age of 42 (in '02). Unfortunately, it has cost a lot of money in repairs even before 50 and 60K. Sad. Chrysler's do nothing but leak every fluid it takes.

Anyway, the PT was far from a mistake from Chrysler. In fact, it was a big deal for many owners (early ones especially). And it made Chrysler a lot of much needed money.
Old 06-30-10, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
This part describes my mother who bought a 2002 PT Cruiser. Doesn't know a single thing about cars. I'm talking about not being able to tell the difference between a BMW and a KIA. But when the PT came out, her jaw dropped and she found the one car she was waiting for all of her life. This is of course because of it's retro antique look. She's an antique's buff and she loves anything from the 1950's and before. It was so nice seeing her excited about a car for the first time. It was also her first new car even at the age of 42 (in '02). Unfortunately, it has cost a lot of money in repairs even before 50 and 60K. Sad. Chrysler's do nothing but leak every fluid it takes.

Anyway, the PT was far from a mistake from Chrysler. In fact, it was a big deal for many owners (early ones especially). And it made Chrysler a lot of much needed money.
I hope your mom didn't get taken on the deal she made (did you go shopping with her and help her out)? PT Cruisers, in the first couple of years before the novelty wore off, were a gold mine for dealerships because of the supply-and demand. Many customers, as I described in a previous post, paid over list....some, thousands more. And, of course, for that money, they got an interesting-looking car, but not a very well-built one.
Old 06-30-10, 08:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope your mom didn't get taken on the deal she made (did you go shopping with her and help her out)? PT Cruisers, in the first couple of years before the novelty wore off, were a gold mine for dealerships because of the supply-and demand. Many customers, as I described in a previous post, paid over list....some, thousands more. And, of course, for that money, they got an interesting-looking car, but not a very well-built one.
My father had gone with her to purchase it. I don't believe they paid more than MSRP. Reason being, it was the second model year when the PT had caught up with demand.
Old 06-30-10, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
My father had gone with her to purchase it. I don't believe they paid more than MSRP. Reason being, it was the second model year when the PT had caught up with demand.
Yes, by then, some of the novelty was wearing off, but it still remained popular for some time. By 2001-2002, the public's fascination had shifted at least partly to the new 2-seat Thunderbird, which sold for even worse markups.
Old 06-30-10, 09:32 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

bye bye pt cruiser!
Old 06-30-10, 10:13 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^im with you on this, i hated that car. i just see them driving around looking more and more beat up.

Quick Reply: Say goodbye to the PT Cruiser...