Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM and Chrysler have reopened merger talks

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 05:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM and Chrysler have reopened merger talks

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...-on-track.aspx

General Motors and Chrysler may be getting hitched after all. On a day of plenty of auto-sector news, the Wall Street Journal breaks the scoop that the two struggling automakers have reopened merger talks. The new development is that "Chrysler owner Cerberus Capital Management LP has signaled its willingness to give away part of its ownership in the auto maker" to get the deal done, the newspaper writes, citing people in the know. It's hard to know how serious Chrysler's owner is about negotiating a second round of merger talks in a month.

Perhaps, the carmaker wants to show Washington it's serious about restructuring, a necessity if it's going to receive federal bailout money. Those negotiations for a bailout of GM and Chrysler, now being spearheaded by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, the New York Times writes, are still far from resolved. The Bush administration is keen to work out a plan by Christmas to provide the two firms with up to $14 billion in bridge loans to help cover operations through the first quarter of 2009. But for once it seems Washington plans to be a tough negotiator. "Giving them enough money to limp along doesn’t solve anything," a senior administration official explained to the NYT.

Chrysler and GM are taking some bold steps to cut costs and present lawmakers with a slimmed down, new-look version as they await a verdict on their bailout. On Wednesday Chrysler announced it would shut down all its North American production for at least one month starting tomorrow, BusinessWeek writes. And how is GM showing it can cut costs to survive? It is halting the completion of an engine factory for its Chevy Volt, one of its most highly anticipated new models that it hoped to have in showrooms by late 2010. GM tells the Detroit Free Press it had no choice. The company needs to preserve cash wherever it can.

Automakers got some unwelcome news from OPEC yesterday. In an effort to prop up the price of crude to $75 a barrel, the oil-producing cartel slashed output by a record 2.2 million barrels a day. And the market's response? The price of crude fell yet again. In fact, oil dipped below $40 a barrel in Asian trading this morning, Reuters reports. Evidently, the market has OPEC over a barrel. "The market is saying to OPEC, 'You really didn't do your job. If you want prices to go higher, we need a bigger cut in supply,' " Addison Armstrong, chief market analyst for Tradition Energy in Stamford, Conn., told the Houston Chronicle. "They set the stage for an oil price drop to $30." The plunging price of oil shouldn't necessarily be read as good news. Fears of a paralyzing global recession have all but decimated demand for oil, re-igniting fears of deflation, CNNMoney writes.

Does GM want to hurt their recovery efforts? Two bankrupt companies merged just makes a bigger bankrupt company.
Old 01-18-09, 11:17 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a reason why you are posting last month's news?
Old 01-19-09, 12:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

give the guy a break man. we all didnt know this info. I think this is a match made in heaven. lol
Old 01-19-09, 04:01 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
Is there a reason why you are posting last month's news?
My bad. And I knew about the original two rounds of talks too, lol. I thought this was the 3rd considering the way it was posted as current news on the site I was on.

Old 01-19-09, 07:05 AM
LexFather

Let Chrysler die. They offer pretty much nothing. GM has a much much better product offering.

Old 01-19-09, 07:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Combining 2 nearly bankrupt companies is not going to increase strength much.

But the cuts after a merger should include shutting down multiple unprofitable divisions/brands from both companies.
Old 01-19-09, 07:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

"Tick... tick... tick..." the sound of time running out for Chrysler...
Old 01-19-09, 08:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly what does Chrysler offer GM?

I am confused.

Only company I could see benefiting from a Chrysler merger would be Acura. V8s, RWD, and a half decent design team when they actually try.

They offer GM nothing though...
Old 01-19-09, 08:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Let Chrysler die. They offer pretty much nothing. GM has a much much better product offering.
Apart from the Dodge Viper, well yeah.........

As long as they retain the Dodge Viper, they can throw everything else in the junks (including that bulkyass 300C)
Old 01-19-09, 03:20 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Exactly what does Chrysler offer GM?

I am confused.

Only company I could see benefiting from a Chrysler merger would be Acura. V8s, RWD, and a half decent design team when they actually try.

They offer GM nothing though...
Read and weep:
Back in the 70's we had Fiat's and Alfa's A neighbor had a Fiat that was made in Turkey quite interestingly.
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...s_partnership_

New York/Rome - The Italian car manufacturer Fiat and US- based Chrysler were discussing a strategic partnership, according to reports Monday in the Wall Street Journal and the trade magazine Automotive News.
Under such a deal, Fiat could gain access to the US market for its small and mid-size cars, fulfilling a long-standing wish by the Italian company to get an affordable foothold in the US, the reports said.
In particular, the Fiat 500 and Alfa Romeo are being singled out in the talks, the Wall Street Journal reported from Rome.
In exchange, Chrysler would tap Fiat's experience building small and medium-sized cars to advance its own plans for new front-wheel drive vehicles with lower emissions.
As gas prices soared and the economy tanked, sales of Chrysler's mostly large and inefficient automobiles fell 30 per cent in 2008.
With auto sales at their lowest in 27 years, Chrysler has laid off tens of thousands of workers and had to beg for a government rescue to the tune of 5.5 billion dollars to stay afloat amidst the year- long recession.
Chrysler is owned by the private US investor Cerberus, which has an 80 per cent stake acquired from the former owner, Germany's Daimler, which still holds 20 per cent. Daimler would like to sell its remaining stake to Cerberus, but the two cannot agree on price.
In a related development, Cerberus was reported to be preparing to cut nearly 10 per cent of its worldwide staff, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Old 01-20-09, 03:19 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

screw fiat.

gm should merge absorb chyrsler and shut it down. keep dodge viper and jeep brand only.

then get rid of some of it's own lines.
Old 01-20-09, 10:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe they can best negotiate a merger in bankruptcy court.