Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In case you missed it... GM traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 07:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In case you missed it... GM traffic

People are showing up again and sales are slowly rising, at least where I am... for Corvettes anyway. And looks like the new Caddys are moving too, but DOA for GM trucks.

Like we've all discussed:

GM- Cadillac, Corvette, Cobalt, Malibu, Chevy trucks, Buick, Pontiac Gs, Saturn- PLAY ON!!!

... burn the rest, including upper management, and if they acquire Chrysler, bring back public executions

Chrysler- SEE YAAAAAAAAAAAAA

My .02
Old 01-19-09, 08:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default Had to post again quick

Number of my last post=
Old 01-19-09, 09:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck for GM if only area of revenue growth is Corvettes and Cadoos, volume is way too low to justify all that overhead.
Old 01-19-09, 10:03 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Sounds good. any data to support that?
Old 01-19-09, 11:37 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Sounds good. any data to support that?
Other than the LEGITIMATE sales orders sitting on the GM's desk and more people in the showroom, no... but as soon as Jan numbers are out you can bet the Big 2 will post them to the media... Chrysler needn't bother...
Old 01-19-09, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GM- Cadillac, Corvette, Cobalt, Malibu, Chevy trucks, Buick, Pontiac Gs, Saturn- PLAY ON!!!
Some of these, admittedly, are nice products. I generally have a high opinion of the Malibu, its twin Saturn Aura, Corvettes (though the dealer price-gouging on the ZR-1 is absurd), the Cadillac CTS, Buicks in general, and the recent interior and brake improvements (both badly needed) on full-size GM trucks/SUVs. The Cobalt is (now) a fairly nice small car, and the SS model, though with an awkward clutch and a lot of low-RPM torque that easily spins the tires on take-off, is a whale of a performance buy in the pocket-rocket class. The Pontiac G8 GT is a nice, Holden-built, 4-door successor to the GTO.

But I'm not sure that some of the rest of them really deserve to sell. The Pontiac G6, which, in convertible form, is an easy, cheap way to get a folding hard-top, is exactly that, IMO....cheap. Its interior, unlike that of its its Aura/Malibu brothers, is most unimpressive; materials used are rather cheap except for some center-dash *****, and the all-black coloring is like being inside of a coal mine (also a problem with the G8 GT to an extent). I have not personally test-driven the G6 (yet), but Consumer Reports has a low opinion of how it drives and its well-below-average reliability record. The Cadillac STS has a excellent V6 powertrain, but is otherwise rather mediocre. The senior-citizen DTS, once a soft-riding cloud for those seeking comfort, has been firmed up (unnecessarily) and is no longer quite as comfortable on the road. The whole Saturn line is now missing the nice, unique plastic bodies that their predecessors had (a big selling point) that warded off dents and corrosion, and, except for the rather nice Aura, IMO, has little to recommend them, except for the traditionally excellent Saturn sales/service policies.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-09 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 12:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

man get the ISF! Seeing your updated sig you are crazy to have a Vette in your area. At least you can drive the ISF year round Snow tires work miracles on the Lexus cars.

I will be surprised if anyone shows good #'s to be honest.
Old 01-19-09, 01:20 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
man get the ISF! Seeing your updated sig you are crazy to have a Vette in your area. At least you can drive the ISF year round Snow tires work miracles on the Lexus cars.

I will be surprised if anyone shows good #'s to be honest.
I like to live dangerously Sent a PM out a while back on IS-Fs... ever get it?

And agree, numbers will be SCARY

Last edited by rdgdawg; 01-19-09 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

January sales numbers up somewhat, wonderful.

Wait 'til we see the billions of dollars lost in GM's operating results for Q1 2009 (they don't publish financial results by month or for January only), the losses will be staggering. Not a healthy business.
Old 01-20-09, 08:31 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I like to live dangerously Sent a PM out a while back on IS-Fs... ever get it?

And agree, numbers will be SCARY
Yea just been busy with the baby and everything else. just let me know I and I will put you in contact if you deiced on the ISF. I think by spring you will be looking a Lambos or Ferrari
Old 01-20-09, 10:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
Yea just been busy with the baby and everything else. just let me know I and I will put you in contact if you deiced on the ISF. I think by spring you will be looking a Lambos or Ferrari
Cool I will at some point be getting a GX470 to replace the Sienna... either way, we'll chat