Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds IL tested the BMW 335d

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 01:17 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Diesel twin turbo will probably be about as cheap and easy to upgrade as 335i gasoline twin turbo.
And your point is?

If I am looking for upgrade/mod then why don't I just get the cheaper, faster and the same easy to upgrade/mod 335i?

Edmunds IL called the X6 a perfectly pointless car and the title for the 335d should be Perfectly Pointless - Episode 2.

Old 01-20-09, 02:38 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks like a winner. Excellent economy, excellent emissions, and a great range, all in the no-compromise 3-Series platform.
Old 01-20-09, 04:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Car looks like a winner. Excellent economy, excellent emissions, and a great range, all in the no-compromise 3-Series platform.

more expensive
slower
more weight
worst handling
higher fuel costs
Old 01-20-09, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

more expensive
slower
more weight
worst handling
higher fuel costs
it is exactly like the article... there is this "but"" :-).

What i find silly is that when i drove 335d, i could easily hear diesel clutter... Not to say that outside, you will hear it on any cold morning.

So basically edmunds wanted hard to like it, but stats dont back it up... not to mention that diesel doesnt have anywhere the torque range of strong petrol engine, which is what numbers show.
Old 01-20-09, 05:42 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

more expensive
slower
more weight
worst handling
higher fuel costs
It does a lot well, while still getting great mileage. I don't understand why all of you are getting up in arms over the slight increase in weight - I mean my god, it more than made up for it in lowered consumption and added range, not to mention the ungodly levels of torque that the electric/gas cars can only dream about. The handling is still, by all accounts, a 3-Series BMW, and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds isn't exactly slow.

But if a .5 second decrease in the time you floor the accelerator (since you all do this everyday) to 60mph makes you feel like a real man/person/human or something, I'm very happy for you - but in everyday driving, 400lb-ft of torque shoves the driver into the seat like a bull. There's nothing "weak", "slow" or "worst" about 400lb-ft. Strait line acceleration isn't indicitive of the entire driving experience. The GS450h is the perfect example - 5.2 seconds to 60 and yet the blandest and boring performer in the class.
Old 01-20-09, 05:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
It does a lot well, while still getting great mileage. I don't understand why all of you are getting up in arms over the slight increase in weight - I mean my god, it more than made up for it in lowered consumption and added range, not to mention the ungodly levels of torque that the electric/gas cars can only dream about. The handling is still, by all accounts, a 3-Series BMW, and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds isn't exactly slow.

But if a .5 second decrease in the time you floor the accelerator (since you all do this everyday) to 60mph makes you feel like a real man/person/human or something, I'm very happy for you - but in everyday driving, 400lb-ft of torque shoves the driver into the seat like a bull. There's nothing "weak", "slow" or "worst" about 400lb-ft. Strait line acceleration isn't indicitive of the entire driving experience. The GS450h is the perfect example - 5.2 seconds to 60 and yet the blandest and boring performer in the class.
The 335i is far from bland or boring in its acceleration characteristics... I assure you have that, and still has a ton of torque off-idle. Sure it's not as much as the 335d, but your numbers are a bit off. Per Edmunds the 335d is one full second slower to 60. Half a second of difference has already occured by only 30mph (1.8 in the 335i to 2.3 in the 335d). If the 335d's seat-shoving torque can't even get it off the line to 30 as quick as the 335i (and half a second is a BIG difference at 30 mph) then what's the point? You get to feel a tad bit faster when you aren't trying to go fast and get to feel quite a bit slower when you are trying to go fast. Yeah that's a great thing to have in a SPORT sedan.

My old Silverado had a ton of torque... I could drive around town stop light to stop light never exceeding 2k RPM and it felt like it had tons of power to spare... but floor the accelerator and it all seemed like a lie... the engine would roar but it'd barely accelerate any faster than before. In a truck, it's OK because you're rarely going to be getting up there in the revs anyway, but in a car like the 3-series, yes people want to be able to rev up the engine and have a bit of fun on their commute. They surely don't want to actually be SLOWER despite having paid more money for their car than the 335i.
Old 01-20-09, 06:02 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Diesel twin turbo will probably be about as cheap and easy to upgrade as 335i gasoline twin turbo.
lol.... no.
Old 01-20-09, 07:41 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did someone just use the GS450h as an example to make his point on the 335i?

I would take that as a compliment for the 3GS...

Old 01-20-09, 09:10 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 0-60 is slower due to the lower rev range, all that torque isn't very useful if its rpm range last you about 1 second before you have to shift.