Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

HELP: PONTIAC Solstice GXP

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 03:46 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP: PONTIAC Solstice GXP

MY buddy and I just saw a solstice GXP in a showroom here. Btw we cannot buy pontiac cars, so there is no other (or VERY few) solstice in town.

My buddy is interested in buying it, the dealer is offering it for around 24000 dollars.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this car? how does it perform? How does it handle? reliability etc

Ive read the reviews online, they seem to be mixed. What are your opinions on this car?
Old 01-20-09, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

horrible roof mechanism. try a miata before u buy.
Old 01-20-09, 06:07 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

lol i know the miata is the solstice main competitor, but i think the solstice GXP is way beter lookin and wiht its turbo chraged 4 banger and 260hp much more powerful than the miata, the s2000 on the other hand.....
Old 01-20-09, 06:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Reliability on the Solstice (and Saturn Sky) hasn't been very good. Too bad, IMO they're nice looking. I would lean towards the Miata in that segment.
Old 01-20-09, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I've test-driven a few Solstices and Sky models, primarily by CL request, and helping one of my friends get one (like your friend, that was the car he wanted). Here are two short mini-reviews I have done on the cars. ( I know they are not very long or comprehensive, and in those days I wasn't attaching images, but still, they may help a little):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...non-turbo.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-solstice.html

I agree with bitkahuna....check out the Miata or the Honda S2000 first. Both are noticeably better than the GM twins in overall build quality (as Consumer Reports will note with their reliability records) and the tops on the GM twins are much harder to put up and down (with the Miata, all it takes is one or two latches unclipped and a quick flick of the arm). The Miata, if desired, has a power-folding hardtop option, but the standard fabric top is so easy to use that I find it unnecessary.

The S2000 also has high build quality, but it costs more, and its VTEC four is enormously peaky; there is relatively little torque in any range, and little HP unless you rev it to astronomical RPMs, where the HP peak hits with a rush.

True, the GM twins have low-RPM torque with the turbo 4, but, IMO, that doesn't necessarily make up for their other shortcomings.

And, last, none of these cars appear to have much in the way of roll-over protection (a concern in small convertibles)...the GM twins especially so. They all lack high, fixed, roll-bars and the sophisticated, G-activated flip-up bars found on expensive convertibles like Porshe and Mercedes. Of course, cars such as these, with their low stances and low centers of gravity, tend to resist rollovers in the first place.

Good luck to you and your friend, and your shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 10:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with above, the Solstice has a poor fitting and difficult to use top, no luggage space and mediocre fit and finish. Not impressed.
Old 01-20-09, 02:54 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

typical unreliable GM junk, been following them at solstice forums and skyroadster forums. Engine seems to be sound (fuel injectors are noisy), dash plastic is very hard, differentials leak and clunk (manuals only), ergonomics are just awful, you need to use your right arm to operate the left hand side window switch, the door lock button is upside down, the cup holders break easily. Other than that, they are great track cars, and with a little help with the GM tune they won SCCA nationals this year (GM gave them tunes that upped the horsepower). The GM tunes is now available and bring HP up to 290. Impressive weekend car for a person that likes to wrench, but don't think you are getting a honda in terms of build quilaity or longevity, when the warranty runs out, the trade in value will plummet.

Too bad, I almost bought one. Dash lighting died during my test drive, how ironic.

Last edited by toy4two; 01-20-09 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 03:09 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I can't stand their interiors. Then again I'm not a big fan of the s2000 interior (WAY too loud) or the miata (they don't look right to me and don't seem to hold up well long-term) either so that's not saying much.

Their power train is definitely the best among their competition, IMO... very powerful @ 260hp and tq with plenty of room for cheap mods to the turbo boost profile.. even under factory warranty as GM has released a series of 'stage' upgrades for them.

I love the way the Sky looks outside... the solstice looks OK on the outside but again neither of them impress on the inside... not that anything else in this class does, really.

I can't comment on handling since I haven't been behind the wheel of one.

There do seem to be some great deals on them though... I saw a Solstice GXP with the club competition pack going for $21,xxx brand new about a month ago. I suspect the reason it was so heavily discounted is that not many people are looking for the club pack which deletes AC among other weight saving measures including light weight seats that lack most of the adjustments you'd expect to be able to make.
Old 01-20-09, 05:27 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

at least test drive an S2000 first! it may not be as fast, but i can dive into turns at 25mph easily in my s2k, and its adequately fast from a roll as long as youre in the right gear
Old 01-20-09, 07:24 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Solstice/Sky NO WAY I will go for a Lotus Elise which it looks like GM copied. The Lotus is Toyota powered and looks better also.
Old 01-20-09, 11:33 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

thanks guys for all the feedback,

mmarshal thanks for the reviews, very helpful
Old 01-21-09, 07:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

yes, the solstice is more powerful, but u should drive a new gen miata before dismissing it. a drive is not all about HP. the miata is LIGHT, perfectly balanced, has great controls/feel, is very comfortable, and just a hoot to drive. i've got the lsd on mine which makes it more fun to drive too. i think 0-60 is 6.3 or thereabouts which isn't rocket fast but it's not slow either.

another win for the miata is tons of relatively inexpensive mods, and tons of owner groups, forums, vendors, etc.
Old 01-21-09, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, the solstice is more powerful, but u should drive a new gen miata before dismissing it. a drive is not all about HP. the miata is LIGHT, perfectly balanced, has great controls/feel, is very comfortable, and just a hoot to drive. i've got the lsd on mine which makes it more fun to drive too. i think 0-60 is 6.3 or thereabouts which isn't rocket fast but it's not slow either.

another win for the miata is tons of relatively inexpensive mods, and tons of owner groups, forums, vendors, etc.
Bit is correct here....but if you look hard enough on the used-car market (there weren't that many of them built) you might even be able to pick up a turbo MazdaSpeed Miata. But be careful....though the car itself is durable and reliable, used turbos can be risky if not given quality oil and frequent oil changes.
Old 01-21-09, 12:42 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bit is correct here....but if you look hard enough on the used-car market (there weren't that many of them built) you might even be able to pick up a turbo MazdaSpeed Miata. But be careful....though the car itself is durable and reliable, used turbos can be risky if not given quality oil and frequent oil changes.
well that would be the same problem as the solstice no? ITs the GXP so its turbocharged 2 ltr. I checked out the spolstice forums, and people have had problems, but i cant say if its more than the avg built american car. Another Major issue is that this car is imported so its not gulf spec and also, all parts etc although GM will get, will have to be imported from the US. Another issue, is that this car also has direct injection, like the IS350, which may or may not create problems for the engine.

The car only has 4000kms on it. My buddy has his heart set on it. Ive been trying to get him to get the s2000, (he laughed when i told him miata). Considering that this car is unique and u wont see another one around town, its quick on its feat and handles really well, he doesnt want an s2000 although he acknowledges its probably faster, better more expensive etc. He seems to have made up his mind.

As for the miata, ill push him to test drive it tomorow so as to have all his bases covered. But frankly speakin, its not exactly a pretty car.

Thanks for the insight though,
Old 01-21-09, 01:47 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

I wouldn't buy a Pontiac. It may look nice but you will be sorry down the road. Buy Japanese or German.

Quick Reply: HELP: PONTIAC Solstice GXP