Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $96,000 Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 06:41 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 09 sonata 4 banger

it's more fuel efficient than the camry 4 banger because it's gearing is so damn tall. that means I don't go anywhere when I floor it. it also makes my Q7 v8 feel like a rocketship and suddenly it doesn't feel like it weighs 15 tons lol

I'd pick the camry over the sonata anyday. It's roomier and nicer everall. The sonata only has a price advantage.

I also don't like having less sound deadening (I can hear the gas flowing into the tank when filling up . . .) and the god damn annoying Reverse gear lock (won't let you go into reverse until you are completely stopped. engine is WTF loud. I do like the nifty change from inside air to outside air when playing with the air vent ****.

But, I digress.

Yes. Hyundai's come a long way. But, they still have a bit to go.

Also, Price is a factor for many people.

but those people are the mainstream shoppers who only care for a vehicle that'll takem from point A to point B and not have it fall apart in the meantime.

for enthusiasts, price is what keeps us out of the vehicles we truly desire lol

it's like comparing roadsters.

does Porsche make the best damn (mass production) roadster on the road?

or is it the pontiac solstice gxp because it's faster and cheaper?

Last edited by nabbun; 02-23-09 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 08:23 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Whether these higher end products from Hyundai ultimately prove to be successful or not (certainly the Genesis Sedan can be called a qualified success at this point) I think they have to sort out what their brand is. I'm not getting what Genesis is or means. Is it a model within Hyundai? So what do they mean by Genesis coupe? Obviously it is not derived from the sedan. And if they offer this Equus here then what will it be called? Hyundai Genesis Equus? Hyundai Equus? Genesis Equus? Will it be the official launch of a premium brand above Hyundai? If so where does that put the Genesis? It's not making sense right now.
Old 02-23-09, 10:09 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

It would fail just like the VW Phantom.
Old 02-23-09, 11:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
It would fail just like the VW Phantom.
What's a VW Phantom? Do you mean Pheaton?
Old 02-24-09, 03:08 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedflex
Whether these higher end products from Hyundai ultimately prove to be successful or not (certainly the Genesis Sedan can be called a qualified success at this point) I think they have to sort out what their brand is. I'm not getting what Genesis is or means. Is it a model within Hyundai? So what do they mean by Genesis coupe? Obviously it is not derived from the sedan. And if they offer this Equus here then what will it be called? Hyundai Genesis Equus? Hyundai Equus? Genesis Equus? Will it be the official launch of a premium brand above Hyundai? If so where does that put the Genesis? It's not making sense right now.

it's gonna be called genesis prestige if they bring it over here. i think ultimately these genesis models will be a separate genesis brand. it's just too costly and too much of a gamble to start a new luxury brand now especially in today's horrible economy. i also think they want to see if they have a shot at it first before spending billions. i think it's plus plus because genesis will help hyundai as a brand, and hyundai will find out where they stand 4-5 years later.

i can only see a huge success(maybe not sales success, but improving their perception) which will lead to a genesis luxury brand.
Old 02-24-09, 03:18 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nabbun
i have a 09 sonata 4 banger

it's more fuel efficient than the camry 4 banger because it's gearing is so damn tall. that means I don't go anywhere when I floor it. it also makes my Q7 v8 feel like a rocketship and suddenly it doesn't feel like it weighs 15 tons lol

I'd pick the camry over the sonata anyday. It's roomier and nicer everall. The sonata only has a price advantage.

I also don't like having less sound deadening (I can hear the gas flowing into the tank when filling up . . .) and the god damn annoying Reverse gear lock (won't let you go into reverse until you are completely stopped. engine is WTF loud. I do like the nifty change from inside air to outside air when playing with the air vent ****.

But, I digress.

Yes. Hyundai's come a long way. But, they still have a bit to go.

Also, Price is a factor for many people.

but those people are the mainstream shoppers who only care for a vehicle that'll takem from point A to point B and not have it fall apart in the meantime.

for enthusiasts, price is what keeps us out of the vehicles we truly desire lol

it's like comparing roadsters.

does Porsche make the best damn (mass production) roadster on the road?

or is it the pontiac solstice gxp because it's faster and cheaper?

actually sonata is roomier than camry.
http://www.truedelta.com/comparisons...ion_code=&aff=

and if camry is faster, it's not by much. 0-60 is 9 second ish on both.
Old 02-24-09, 07:39 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YEH
It really is debateable whether the LS is the world's greatest (large) sedan.
quite a few people say the original LS in its day was the world's greatest sedan. I can name a number of innovations it featured, can't say the same about the Genesis.

Originally Posted by YEH
Most enthusiasts, like myself, wouldn't pick one up due to the rather boring driving feedback (makes a great chauffered auto).
most driving enthusiasts are rarely in the market for a 4000lb+ premium luxury sedans.

Originally Posted by YEH
And I think you are highly undervaluing how much "value" played in the sales success of the LS (Lexus originally sold the LS at a loss).
my point was the LS did more than just undercut its rivals in terms of pricing. Lexus wasn't just satisfied benchmarking the competition, rather exceeding their competition. And how do you know Lexus sold the LS at a loss? Reminds me of how Lutz and domestic aficionados once claimed the Prius sold at a loss too.

Originally Posted by YEH
In addition, the LS is only 1 of 4 sedans offered by Lexus.
Are the ES, GS or IS considered "best" in their class?
The ES is essentially in its own class, and I already stated the GS isn't up to par.

Originally Posted by YEH
Not exactly true - the new supercharged Tau V-8 and the 8 spd AT (which will likely find their way on both the Genesis and Equus) have some innovative engineering bits and Hyundai's LPG-electric hybrids using advanced Lithium Polymer will go on sale in Korea later this year.
what new supercharged Tau V8, are you referring to their prototype engine. A prototype isn't a production engine.
I'm glad Hyundai is picking up a 8 speed, but I asked for innovations by Hyundai.

Originally Posted by YEH
And oh, BMW's current GDI system is generally considered the tops in the industry.
and which BMW engines use DI again.

[QUOTE=YEH;4279873]
Hmm, most of the mainstream American auto mags place the 4 cyl Sonata above the 4 cyl Camry and many also place the Elantra over the Corolla.

most mainstream American auto mags testers are interested in the irrelevant. The Corolla sells thanks to high fuel economy and safety. maybe Hyundai should work on getting their safety standards up to par with 10 year old Toyotas.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=318
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=318

And really, going on sales volume? - I guess Bose makes the best speakers in the audio world.
when did Bose sells the most speakers in the world?

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 02-24-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 08:04 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, lets get this back on the Hyundai Equos people .Thanks.

Old 02-24-09, 08:13 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joe80

absolutely a false statement though.

and hybrid is coming very soon.
a mild hybrid that runs on liquified petroleum gas.
Old 02-24-09, 08:32 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe80
LS will have a new friend

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/07/h...eed-automatic/

genesis with 8 speed automatic sometime around 2010
You mean GS. The Genesis does not compete with the LS. It is a luxury sports sedan just like the GS.
Old 02-24-09, 08:37 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure I agree with a lot of this.
1. Acura's RL is really a Honda Legend with badges and came with a couple of new things but no one gave a fig then or now. While the Genesis is all new from the ground up, the RL is a stretched Accord with an old engine and an older tranny. Sorry but the Genesis is much newer than the RL. The Rl shouldn't even be mentioned it doesn't even have a V-8 or RWD.
I was responding to the post that the Genesis outsells the RL.

I'd expect it to since the RL isn't what the market wanted and it is old. It's a failure so setting the bar low doesn't make the Genesis a good seller.

I completely agree about SH-awd, Toyota dropped All-Trac in their cars for a reason. I remember their was a huge fuss about awd making a comeback, VW/Audi was supposed to dominate. Turns out brands like Ferrari and Toyota were right, nobody cares. Some people don't realize even the Camry had an awd option in the 1988. Toyota picked up on market trends and dropped it.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2. The M35/45 is really a Nissan Fuga with badges didn't come with ANY breakthroughs.
I believe it came with lane keeping assist which was first for a Japanese vehicle. Even so Nissan is a very innovative nameplate.

3. The GS met sales targets its first 2 years and fell ever since. We mostly agree Lexus could have done better. However the GS 450h is the only of its kind in its class and one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world. It also debuted Lexus "L-Finesse" styling. It now has an 8 speed auto and even semi-analine leather.
The GS sales expectations were set very low to begin with. 24k/annual sales was nothing, the 5er and E-class were outselling it badly. And now the GS has the new E-class to deal with

The GS when launched didn't even feature a VDIM cutoff so the magazines couldn't even properly compare it. Then the GS had all those rattles and reliability issues.

Lexus has always been good at luxury but why didn't Lexus bring the chassis up to German standards? If they had I bet the GS would be far more successful. The GS is still extremely safe, quiet and luxurious.

Does Hyundai sell for less? Yup. However the Genesis has more HP than any Acura or Infiniti sedan, it has more gears than both until the new INfiniti 7 debuted and it offers a leather dash and they do not.
the Genesis and the latest 7spd Infiniti auto have been on the market for about the same duration. I agree about the leather dash, makes me wonder why Lexus hasn't picked up on this. But technically the top of the Genesis dash is still plastic.

I wonder if Honda sold the RL as the Legend and Nissan sold the M35/45 as the Nissan Fuga here in America, would they ask for the same price?
No chance, no mainstream brand attempts to sell $40k+ sedans in the US market.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 02-24-09 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Mr. Jones, I said bring it back to the Equos. That doesn't exempt YOU from answering. Your GS post is WRONG, the initial sales goal with 36k which LEXUS MET. The LS has a Leather dash option.

Any posts from here that are not about the Equos will be DELETED.

Old 02-24-09, 08:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Mr. Jones;4286817]

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
and which BMW engines use DI again.
The 3.0L twin turbo uses a direct injection system, for one. So does the twin turbo diesel powerplant.
Old 02-24-09, 08:58 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
The 3.0L twin turbo uses a direct injection system, for one. So does the twin turbo diesel powerplant.
I'd respond but 1SICK says to bring the thread back on-topic.
Old 02-24-09, 09:03 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't see that post before I hit reply

Quick Reply: The $96,000 Hyundai