Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $96,000 Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 09:14 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mr. Jones, I said bring it back to the Equos. That doesn't exempt YOU from answering.
sorry, I didn't see your post since I was busy responding.

But I did just check and the GS never sold 36k/yr.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...04/205039.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...03/074293.html
Old 03-02-09, 12:15 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

S class and equus side by side. it's huge!

-kinda bland, but i think it has a presence.

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/da...onal&No=117080
Old 03-11-09, 10:56 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-11-09, 10:57 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-11-09, 10:58 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-11-09, 10:59 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i think it's an worthy attempt. should've came out 2 years ago though.
Old 03-11-09, 01:51 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt they'll bring that here. I've seen older style Equus here in socal it looks like a gentleman's car. Some people still have trouble accepting the genesis as a luxury car. It's better for them to wait.
Old 03-11-09, 03:07 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This car obviously has the stuff. All it lacks is status which, unfortunately, is almost everything for a car in this class. But it certainly looks very convincing and I think most of the world's automakers have to see Hyundai's latest products as a loud shot across the bow.
Old 03-11-09, 03:38 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

agreed. i don't think hyundai should bring this as a hyundai. genesis is enough.

but if hyundai can launch genesis as a brand, than suddenly 50-58k Genesis Prestige(u.s name) is not a bad idea. that's still significantly cheaper than competitors.
Old 03-13-09, 03:00 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DustinV
The German brands have not protected this "secret" at all since it isn't a secret. It's common knowledge that Mercedes especially are valued as taxis because of durability and comfort.
Right - but as you state, we Americans (generally) tend to live in "Fortress America" and are woefully unaware of the rest of the world.

The auto-makers are totally cognizant of the fact that US auto buyers tend to be more brand-aware than others - hence, Acura, Infiniti and until recently Lexus models being sold as Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas in Japan.

It's the same reason why Mercedes hasn't brought over the econobox A and B Class models to the States (they are afraid that it would ruin their "premium" image).

Originally Posted by Epik151
Sonata over Camry, not sure.

Genesis and Elantra Touring definitely over the competition.
The Camry's ride is just way too boring for me (not saying that the Sonata has a "sporty" ride, but it's better than the Camry's and the Sonata's interior is more handsome.

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
It would fail just like the VW Phantom.
Yeah, it would - if (1) it were priced like the Phaeton ($70-100K+) and (2) was sold under a non-premium brand.

Originally Posted by meowCat
I also thought I heard that the build quality (and some reliability) had gone down on the Camry.
The current V-6 version of the Camry has been troublesome.

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
quite a few people say the original LS in its day was the world's greatest sedan. I can name a number of innovations it featured, can't say the same about the Genesis.
Uhh, I'm not arguing that the Genesis is the "best" in its class - just that whether the original LS was is debateable (depending on what one is looking for in a large, premium sedan).

most driving enthusiasts are rarely in the market for a 4000lb+ premium luxury sedans.
BMW seems to be doing pretty well w/ the 7 Series, as is Audi w/ the A8 in Europe. Not to mention Mercedes' AMG doing a decent amount of business.

And how do you know Lexus sold the LS at a loss? Reminds me of how Lutz and domestic aficionados once claimed the Prius sold at a loss too.
Just do the math.

The original LS debuted at a $38k sticker price.

Take out the dealer profit and we are talking $32-33k.

Are you going to tell me that Toyota was able to spend as much as they did in R&D, not to mention build a dealer network, marketing a new brand, etc. and make their "typical" profit? (Not to mention all the costs associated w/ "at home" troubleshooting and/or loaner cars.)

The reason why the Genesis is priced the way it is is b/c Hyundai didn't have the costs associated w/ building a new brand - if they had done so, the Genesis would be priced $5-8K higher.

what new supercharged Tau V8, are you referring to their prototype engine. A prototype isn't a production engine.
So a company can't have innovations simply b/c it hasn't hit the market yet? lol

I'm glad Hyundai is picking up a 8 speed, but I asked for innovations by Hyundai.
Uhh, the 8 spd reportedly has a no. of innovative mechanisms.

Simply introducing a 9 spd wouldn't necessarily be "innovative" - one can be much more innovative making significant improvements on an 8 spd.

most mainstream American auto mags testers are interested in the irrelevant. The Corolla sells thanks to high fuel economy and safety. maybe Hyundai should work on getting their safety standards up to par with 10 year old Toyotas.
I'll bet they're more relevant than what you have to say.

As for safety standards - thanks for posting one model which has middling side-impact scores.

Maybe Toyota should have worked harder on safety 10 yrs ago on certain models.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=403

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=393

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=284

when did Bose sells the most speakers in the world?
In 2006, Bose was 2nd to Sony in sales of audio equipment in the US.

Since Sony has been "sucking" in that dept., I think it's safe to say that Bose, unfortunately, is no.1 in the US.

Either way, Sony or Bose is the most popular in the US - and uhm, sorry, neither screams "quality" when it comes to audio.

Originally Posted by Koma
You mean GS. The Genesis does not compete with the LS. It is a luxury sports sedan just like the GS.
To be fair, I wouldn't exactly consider either to be a "sports sedan" (like a 5 Series or G37). More like a luxury sedan w/ a bit of sportiness.

According to the WSJ/JD Power - the Genesis was one of the models that was "hottest" off the lot for Feb.

Hottest Models - Feb 2009

MB - GLK 16 days on the lot
Smart Fortwo 26
Dodge Challenger 36
Audi A5/55 37
BMW X5 38
Mini Cooper 38
Prius 39
Honda Fit 39
GENESIS 45
Forester 46

Last edited by YEH; 03-13-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 05:08 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice car, but i dont think i would take it over a mercedes, bmw, audi, lexus or maserati quattroporte
Old 03-13-09, 07:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Nice car, but i dont think i would take it over a mercedes, bmw, audi, lexus or maserati quattroporte
agreed. but i think it's a good start. you gotta start the flagship anyway if you want to be a part of the big boys club.
Old 03-14-09, 01:09 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KA8
I doubt they'll bring that here. I've seen older style Equus here in socal it looks like a gentleman's car. Some people still have trouble accepting the genesis as a luxury car. It's better for them to wait.
Initially, there were no plans to bring the new Equus sedan to the States, but latest reports suggest the opposite. In a recent interview with one of the leading American automobile magazines, Mr.H.S. Lee, Hyundais Vice Chairman, told: “Two years down the road, we are going to introduce this car (the 2010 Hyundai Equus) to America!”

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.ph...all-its-glory/
Old 03-14-09, 11:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I like the exterior and it has the expensive looking flagship look even though it looks more like a mish mash of other luxury cars. The interior is good but not great. The rear looks much more upscale and nicer then the front and I like the power rear seats and center function/entertainment stack, why more lux cars don't offer this is beyond me. The front seat area design is a little boring and not as upscale looking as the rear, the center dash area just looks kind of plain and not fitting for such an expensive car. It is still a very good effort and I think would be great if the front seat area was better executed and had more of a Bentley/Audi A8 look.
Old 03-14-09, 12:07 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't get it because there is a used aston martin v8 vantage going for the same price as this and i would rather have the aston martin thank you very much.

Peace out

Quick Reply: The $96,000 Hyundai