Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $96,000 Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 12:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^Acura shouldn't bother. They should be discontinued as a whole. Hyundais are far more appealing.
The 4.6 V-8 in the Genesis is as fuel efficient as their 3.7 V-6 with 2 less cylinders and what 80 less hp. lol
The Genesis is RWD, the Acura is AWD. That makes a significant difference in fuel economy.
Old 01-20-09, 03:26 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

BMW MERC LEXUS AUDI or 90k!!! Hyundai?!
Old 01-20-09, 03:44 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai will always be on the bottom of my list.. 90k, i rather invest into a BEAUITFUL "LS" or a down payment on a new home!!! lol.. but thats just me.
YO Rippaflow I absolutely agree with you, Hyundai has no shame, they're putting down so many cars in there commericals to try to hype up buyers!! LMAO
Old 01-20-09, 03:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

it wouldn't be 96k in the u.s. prices can be high in s. korea because they don't have any competition due to disgustingly huge import tariffs.
Old 01-20-09, 04:03 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point there's no indication that this car will even be sold in the U.S. I'm sure the car and Hyundai have more status in the home market. This is probably more a presidential ride than an S-class or LS competitor. I guess it's Hyundai's Maybach. If that's the case then don't count it out because it could possible have even more luxury than anything Lexus or BMW offers. And if that's so then who knows how it would do here. I mean, you could get something in the Maybach, Bentley class for the price of a BMW 7 series. Not too shabby.
Old 01-20-09, 05:24 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had a time travel machine to go back 20 years, I probably would see the same group of people laughing at Toyota for manufacturing a $38k sedan that's intended to compete directly with the likes of BMWs and Mercedes.

There's nothing wrong with Hyundai producing a $90k sedan as long as it lives up to its standard. However, Hyundai should invest in an upscale sub-brand/name plate if it wants to move to an upscale market. In the materialistic world, very few will pay $90k for a Toyota. Let alone a $90k Hyundai.

In the past 20-30 years, it's always been the Japanese who have done extremely well in automotive technology. In the meanwhile, the Koreans have really made a huge comeback in the past few years. Just look at the electronic market (i.e. cell phones) and Korea's domestic economy.

From the way things go, Korea may just rise to leadership of the so-called Four Asian Tigers one day. If that were to happen, expect Hyundai to be a major contender in the automotive world by then.

Jon
Old 01-20-09, 06:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
If I had a time travel machine to go back 20 years, I probably would see the same group of people laughing at Toyota for manufacturing a $38k sedan that's intended to compete directly with the likes of BMWs and Mercedes.

There's nothing wrong with Hyundai producing a $90k sedan as long as it lives up to its standard. However, Hyundai should invest in an upscale sub-brand/name plate if it wants to move to an upscale market. In the materialistic world, very few will pay $90k for a Toyota. Let alone a $90k Hyundai.

In the past 20-30 years, it's always been the Japanese who have done extremely well in automotive technology. In the meanwhile, the Koreans have really made a huge comeback in the past few years. Just look at the electronic market (i.e. cell phones) and Korea's domestic economy.

From the way things go, Korea may just rise to leadership of the so-called Four Asian Tigers one day. If that were to happen, expect Hyundai to be a major contender in the automotive world by then.

Jon
At least 20 years ago, Toyota built a name for themselves and refined for generations before contemplating charging 90K for a car. This is as ridiculous than Nissan charging 45k for carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 01-20-09, 06:21 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

20 years ago, Toyota built a name for itself. But this name had nothing to do with luxury and relentless pursuit of perfection.

My point is, it does not take a long standing tradition for a car manufacturer to produce a competitive product. The best example is what the Swedish has done to the super car market with its newest entry.

And of course, if Mr. Lamborghini hadn't gotten upset at Ferrari's harsh attitudes towards him, we will never see and treasure classics Ferrari rivals such as the Countach and Diablo nowadays.

Jon

Originally Posted by MR_F1
At least 20 years ago, Toyota built a name for themselves and refined for generations before contemplating charging 90K for a car. This is as ridiculous than Nissan charging 45k for carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 01-20-09, 08:47 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
The all-new Hyundai Equus sedan $96,000 on the South Korean market.
LMAO. Sorry, but I just laughed out loud. Hilarious.
Old 01-20-09, 09:31 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Yup, all these Hyundai bashers sound EXACTLY like the established luxury nameplates scoffing at Lexus when it started out. Or, in the 70's, the people laughing at Japanese cars in general.

Laugh all you want--Hyundai is serious. They're making serious cars, backed by serious warranties, and at great prices. Just like LG, they're looking at the downturn in the economy as a golden opportunity to gain market share and prestige. While others retreat and hunker down (Lexus among them, apparently), they will simply wow the market with ever more impressive products. They've got the cash to ride out several years of little to no profit, but they're in it for the long haul. They will come out of the recession in a much stronger position, while the conservative companies will survive but simply tread water.
Old 01-20-09, 10:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

20 years ago, Toyota built a name for itself. But this name had nothing to do with luxury and relentless pursuit of perfection.

My point is, it does not take a long standing tradition for a car manufacturer to produce a competitive product. The best example is what the Swedish has done to the super car market with its newest entry.

And of course, if Mr. Lamborghini hadn't gotten upset at Ferrari's harsh attitudes towards him, we will never see and treasure classics Ferrari rivals such as the Countach and Diablo nowadays.

Jon
When you buy a car, how much of the cost do you think is actually the car itself?
Old 01-20-09, 10:50 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if you guys understand the cost of cars in South Korea...

due to the import tariffs that bitkahuna mentioned, imported vehicles, regardless of the distance they traveled to get to South Korea, are HUGELY expensive. The equivalent European sedans S, 7, and A8 costs more than twice what you would need to pay for them here (as far as the equivalent USD goes). A family friend recently returned to Korea and took his Sienna with him, and he says that a lot of people think he's driving around a celebrity given the attention his car gets.

The Hyundai Equus has been the most expensive Korean car to date (and it has been RWD), and it looks like the upcoming generation plans to stay that way, and for a car of that "caliber" in Korea, $96K USD isn't all that expensive.
Old 01-20-09, 11:16 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Could you rephrase your question? I am having a Tuesday night black out. However, if I understand you correctly, are you asking how much a car really is worth to an automaker in terms of its own manufacturing cost? If so, then this question is really irrelevant, as it would equally apply to other car brands as well. It's like saying Porsche sucks because it's making $20k profits on each of its cars.

whoster made a very good point. The $96k price tag could have been so due to the high car prices in South Korea. My Mercedes CL would've easily cost U.S. $250k brand new in Taiwan and yet, its MSRP is ridiculously inexpensive in comparison.

Regardless what's said, even if Hyundai truly markets the car here in the States for $96k, I'll still stand behind my statements.

Jon

Originally Posted by MR_F1
When you buy a car, how much of the cost do you think is actually the car itself?

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 01-20-09 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 11:27 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Could you rephrase your question? I am having a Tuesday night black out. However, if I understand you correctly, are you asking how much a car really is worth to an automaker in terms of its own manufacturing cost? If so, then this question is really irrelevant, as it would equally apply to other car brands as well. It's like saying Porsche sucks because it's making $20k profits on each of its cars.

whoster made a very good point. The $96k price tag could have been so due to the high car prices in South Korea. My Mercedes CL would've easily cost U.S. $250k brand new in Taiwan and yet, its MSRP is ridiculously inexpensive in comparison.

Regardless what's said, even if Hyundai truly markets the car here in the States for $96k, I'll still stand behind my statements.

Jon
Ok, let me rephrase. How much are you willing to pay for the badge on the front of the car, because like it or not that is a significant part of the final cost.
Old 01-20-09, 11:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by farquad
that actually looks very good.. i wouldn't buy a 90k hyundai though
yeah!! I think they need to crawl before they run. Thats alot of money to dump in a car with no real rep.

Quick Reply: The $96,000 Hyundai