Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $96,000 Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 12:04 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Whether or not I am willing to pay for a $90k Hyundai has nothing to do with the market demand in general.

Plus, asking this question is like going back in time 20 years and asking others if they would pay $70k for a Toyota made LS430.

As you can see, I've already stated that Hyundai should invest a more exclusive nameplate if it were to move upscale. If the final product lives up to expectations, then it's not going to be difficult for people to pay $90k for a more technically advanced, reliable, and bargain (in comparison) Korean competitor to the $120k+ uber S class and 7 series models.

Remember, time changes, so does the public's perception on a car's value. Back in the 1950s, Cadillac sold one of the most expensive mass production cars in the world. Owning an El Dorado convertible back then could make anyone feel like he's Elvis. 50 years later, things are no longer the same.

Jon

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Ok, let me rephrase. How much are you willing to pay for the badge on the front of the car, because like it or not that is a significant part of the final cost.
Old 01-21-09, 03:10 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3

As you can see, I've already stated that Hyundai should invest a more exclusive nameplate if it were to move upscale.
Jon
They own Kia. They're plans for Kia is to stay and compete with the likes of Nissan and Honda.

Hyundai's trying to move up to be somewhere between Toyota and Lexus.

They're newest cars aren't half bad anymore.

Also like Whoster said, cars in Korea are ridiculously expensive.

Lots of people want cars like the LS 460, S550, A8, 745 BUT they cost double what we pay.

On top of that, the gov taxes you more for owning a foreign car and body shops charge your accordingly.

So, instead of getting pwned, why not just drive a Hyundai and save yourself more than half?

They like big luxury vehicles like we do and they're willing to pay.

jeez when I was in Korea, the Equus was so shoddy (can't say the other word)

My gf's dad asked me half jokingly if I'd be willing to buy a LS 460, drive it around for a while and bring it to Korea for him. (He's so willing to compensate)

He was close to getting the A8 but his wife told him to support Hyundai or else they'll go bust lol

He ended up giving his 2 year old Equus to his brother and got himself another one.

Now that Hyundai's kicking everything up a notch, they're rolling out with a newer and better Equus.

After seeing the current Equus, they have nowhere else to go but up.
Old 01-21-09, 10:21 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
yeah!! I think they need to crawl before they run. Thats alot of money to dump in a car with no real rep.
No real rep? The Equus is a very highly regarded car in South Korea. Although it plays towards an older and conservative demographic, the Equus carries a lot of status...analogous to a CEO's car.

Seems like a lot of people still think of Hyundai as the company that produced the crappy Excel. Like it or not, they've come a long way.
Old 01-21-09, 02:48 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That's very true.

While it's perfectly legitimate for Hyundai's moving up the ladder, it would not hurt for them to invest in a premium nameplate.

Back in the 80s, Toyota had the Cressida. And yet it chose to invest in the Lexus brand, which in my opinion was a very good move.

If Hyundai can keep the Kia brand (just like Toyota's Scion brand) and move upward with another nameplate to play with the big boys, the ultimate beneficiaries will be the consumers.

Jon

Originally Posted by nabbun
They own Kia. They're plans for Kia is to stay and compete with the likes of Nissan and Honda.

Hyundai's trying to move up to be somewhere between Toyota and Lexus.

They're newest cars aren't half bad anymore.

Also like Whoster said, cars in Korea are ridiculously expensive.

Lots of people want cars like the LS 460, S550, A8, 745 BUT they cost double what we pay.

On top of that, the gov taxes you more for owning a foreign car and body shops charge your accordingly.

So, instead of getting pwned, why not just drive a Hyundai and save yourself more than half?

They like big luxury vehicles like we do and they're willing to pay.

jeez when I was in Korea, the Equus was so shoddy (can't say the other word)

My gf's dad asked me half jokingly if I'd be willing to buy a LS 460, drive it around for a while and bring it to Korea for him. (He's so willing to compensate)

He was close to getting the A8 but his wife told him to support Hyundai or else they'll go bust lol

He ended up giving his 2 year old Equus to his brother and got himself another one.

Now that Hyundai's kicking everything up a notch, they're rolling out with a newer and better Equus.

After seeing the current Equus, they have nowhere else to go but up.
Old 01-24-09, 10:33 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
I just checked out an older Equus on wikipedia and it looks like a complete rip from the 1st Gen LS.
Hopefully this will be on the new RWD architecture. I've always hated big bloated FWD sedans.
More like the S-Class (which, btw, the LS did as well).

Besides, the Equus was a JV w/ Mitsu and was designed by Mitsu, so maybe you should be harping on Mitsu (the Mitsu version is the Proudia).

Originally Posted by MR_F1
At least 20 years ago, Toyota built a name for themselves and refined for generations before contemplating charging 90K for a car. This is as ridiculous than Nissan charging 45k for carbon ceramic brakes.
Uhm, Hyundai has no plans to bring over the Equus to the US and the Equus is an established model in Korea.

While it's perfectly legitimate for Hyundai's moving up the ladder, it would not hurt for them to invest in a premium nameplate.

Back in the 80s, Toyota had the Cressida. And yet it chose to invest in the Lexus brand, which in my opinion was a very good move.

If Hyundai can keep the Kia brand (just like Toyota's Scion brand) and move upward with another nameplate to play with the big boys, the ultimate beneficiaries will be the consumers.
Hyundai thought about a lux nameplate, but they wisely decided it wasn't the time - huge cost of establishing a new nameplate, not enough models to support nameplate, Hyundai not having the reputation yet to support a lux make, Hyundai wanting to make a profit on the Genesis and not sell at a loss like Lexus did w/ the LS, etc.

The current goal is for the Genesis to improve the image of the brand so that it is akin to that of Toyota and Honda (probably take 5-6 yrs).

Upon reaching that, Hyundai will likely launch a premium brand w/ enough models to support said nameplate.
Old 01-25-09, 10:31 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YEH
Uhm, Hyundai has no plans to bring over the Equus to the US and the Equus is an established model in Korea.

Hyundai thought about a lux nameplate, but they wisely decided it wasn't the time - huge cost of establishing a new nameplate, not enough models to support nameplate, Hyundai not having the reputation yet to support a lux make, Hyundai wanting to make a profit on the Genesis and not sell at a loss like Lexus did w/ the LS, etc.

The current goal is for the Genesis to improve the image of the brand so that it is akin to that of Toyota and Honda (probably take 5-6 yrs).

Upon reaching that, Hyundai will likely launch a premium brand w/ enough models to support said nameplate.
I never thought or suggested that they would. That game plan of theirs does make a lot of sense though, and if they do go through with it I hope their cars are as engaging as the Genesis and the best of luck to them.

Whether or not I am willing to pay for a $90k Hyundai has nothing to do with the market demand in general.

Plus, asking this question is like going back in time 20 years and asking others if they would pay $70k for a Toyota made LS430.

As you can see, I've already stated that Hyundai should invest a more exclusive nameplate if it were to move upscale. If the final product lives up to expectations, then it's not going to be difficult for people to pay $90k for a more technically advanced, reliable, and bargain (in comparison) Korean competitor to the $120k+ uber S class and 7 series models.

Remember, time changes, so does the public's perception on a car's value. Back in the 1950s, Cadillac sold one of the most expensive mass production cars in the world. Owning an El Dorado convertible back then could make anyone feel like he's Elvis. 50 years later, things are no longer the same.

Jon
My point is that Toyota did not charge $70k for the LS 20 years ago, even though it was better than the Merc SEL and 7 at the time. Not to take anything away from the Genesis, a great car, but it's being compared to 5ers and a GS that are on their way out.
Old 01-25-09, 10:57 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

if equus ever comes to U.S then it will max out at 55-57k.
Old 01-25-09, 11:01 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

and also charging it close to 100k makes sense in korea.

driving korean car is more patriotic then driving MB or BMW and people still think you are filthy rich. and it's probably going to be a great car just like genesis, so as long as it doesn't look ugly it will sell like hotcakes.
Old 01-25-09, 11:22 AM
LexFather

I am positive Hyundai moving upmarket like VW moving upmarket won't do to well. I love the Genesis sedan, its fantastic but it only has a 20-25k sales goal its first year. Thats a drop in the bucket.

A new luxury brand today would require billions in costs and I doubt they want to spend that right now. WHo knows, it may eventually come to pass.

Its amazing how SERIOUS they are though. They are not 1/2 assing their new attempts. These are very competitive vehicles.

Old 01-25-09, 03:24 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

koreans will do everything in their power to be better than Japan. It's rooted in the landscape and history. they just hate losing to Japan. they are friends and foes. koreans love japan, but hate japan. very complicated and weird relationship between two countries. before it was all inferior complexity, but now the confidence is growing faster than ever. just 10-15 years ago, Japan was a mountain they thought they could never climb but it's little different now. right now, Koreans have if 'samsung can be better than sony' then 'korean cars can be better than japanese cars' mentality. everything is about how they measure up against Japan in almost anything technology related.
Old 01-26-09, 02:54 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joe80
if equus ever comes to U.S then it will max out at 55-57k.
no way they'll do it for that low. that's impossible.

they're not gonna wanna **** off their own citizens even more
Old 01-26-09, 08:55 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
no way they'll do it for that low. that's impossible.

they're not gonna wanna **** off their own citizens even more
Very few people will buy a $90,000 Hyundai... at least not right now.
Old 01-26-09, 10:21 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Very few people will buy a $90,000 Hyundai... at least not right now.
i know.

that wasn't my point.

this is a viable option for the rich in korea.
Old 01-26-09, 12:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is one ugly *** $96000 sedan.
Old 02-14-09, 05:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

reminds me of a toyota avalon for some reason

Quick Reply: The $96,000 Hyundai