Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reports of Acura’s Death Greatly Exaggerated, Says Exec

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 04:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Reports of Acura’s Death Greatly Exaggerated, Says Exec

Reports of Acura’s Death Greatly Exaggerated, Says Exec

American Honda Motor Co. Inc.’s Acura near-luxury brand will launch an all-new model in 2009, a top U.S. Honda official says.

“We’ve got a new product (coming) later this fall dealers don’t (currently) sell,” John Mendel, executive vice president-Automobile Operations Div. for American Honda, tells media during a recent roundtable interview at the North American International Auto Show here.

Mendel doesn’t divulge what type of vehicle the model is, but John Watts, manager-Acura product planning, told Ward’s last February the brand was studying the introduction of a third cross/utility vehicle geared toward Baby Boomers. A camouflaged CUV, reported to be an Acura, has been photographed several times in the last six months undergoing testing in the U.S. and overseas.

The Acura lineup currently includes two CUVs: the small RDX, introduced in 2006, and the midsize MDX, fully redesigned in 2006.

Mendel no doubt hopes the new product launch will quiet online bloggers, who have been speculating in recent weeks the Acura brand is in dire straits.
“The only thing that was announced was the NSX (supercar) was canceled, and that we delayed the opening of the Yorii plant in (Saitama prefecture,) Japan,” Mendel says.

“So from that have popped up stories that the whole Acura lineup is canceled; Acura is on the ropes; it’s going to be cut; everything’s delayed; everything is gone,” he says of the rumors.

With the sudden, violent collapse of new-car sales last year continuing into 2009, and product and technology delays or cancellations at Acura, the Internet rumor mill has been buzzing with talk of the future viability of the brand, whose sales declined 19.8% in the U.S. in 2008 to 144,504 units, Ward’s data shows.

Once Honda Motor Co. Ltd. CEO Takeo Fukui announced last month the launch of the Acura brand in Japan would be delayed indefinitely and the next-generation NSX with a V-10 engine had been shelved, speculation emerged that other plans to take Acura to luxury status were in jeopardy.
Those efforts included a V-8 engine and an expected-but-not-confirmed rear-wheel-drive platform, both of which would give Acura parity with its luxury competition such as Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus brand and BMW AG.

But Mendel says when Fukui in October announced work was under way on Honda’s first production V-8, he never put a timetable on its introduction.
“We’ve built V-8s (for auto-racing applications). We’ve got V-8s. I’ve driven the V-8s,” he says. “We just haven’t yet named a date when we’re going to bring them in (for mass-production).”

Still, Mendel acknowledges the slowdown in auto sales, as well as the resulting need to conserve cash on the part of all auto makers. He says Acura is contemplating a possible delay in launching the next-generation flagship RL sedan to 2012 from mid-2011.

The RL was last all-new in late 2004 as an ’05 model. A mid-cycle change that added Acura’s now-signature “power plenum” grille happened in model-year ’09.

Speculation of trouble at Acura has been so strong that both Mendel and **** Colliver, executive vice president-automobile sales, personally have called nervous dealers to calm their fears.

“**** and I have been on the phone with numerous dealers (and) the dealer council, saying, ‘Separate the fact from the speculation,’” Mendel says.
Acura loyalists, who may be getting weary after failed or delayed promises from the brand, should hang on a little longer.

“To set the record straight on Acura, we’re still dedicated to taking Acura to Tier 1 (luxury status), “ Mendel says. “That hasn’t changed. We have a very robust product plan for the Acura lineup and that continues to be the case. (It is) a broad range of products and powertrains and everything else. So bloggers be damned.”

Mendel is quick to say he doesn’t discount the opinions of some of Acura’s most fervent fans. But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on.

The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says.
At least they admit they are not tier one status Sounds like they are in denial. No innovation, no direct injection, no transmissions beyond five gears, no V8 in consumer application, no diesel engines, nothing "premium" about their brand status and identity. A sporty Honda option package.
Old 01-21-09, 04:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I abandoned Acura and gave away my '88 Integra over 10 years ago and haven't bought an Acura since.
Old 01-21-09, 05:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to admit I purchased an 06 TL for my wife and the car has been very reliable, and at the time had a far better interior. After owning the car for a few years I have realized why the acura and infiniti dont have the same reputation as lexus. Simply said, acura leaves its customers to be treated as well as the stoner high school kid driving a civic, while infiniti will have you at the dealership a lot more ( I really know because I had two 2003 G35 sedans). I love my lexus. No it doesnt handle like an infinit, nor is the maintenece as cheap as the acura, but all in all I think its a great car all around that comes with stellar service.

Acura for some reason never seemed to want to try to catch up with its competitors . No V8, no power to match or rival competitors, no 6-7 speed trannys,....WTF. How do they expect to compete with Lexus and especially infiniti in the performance department. The ride quality on every acura I have ever driven feels very stiff also. I drove an RDX recently that made me laugh. My wifes TL is harsher then my dropped GS on 30 profile tires at 44 psi
Old 01-21-09, 05:35 PM
Roid Rage
Driver School Candidate

manager-Acura product planning, told Ward’s last February the brand was studying the introduction of a third cross/utility vehicle geared toward Baby Boomers. A camouflaged CUV, reported to be an Acura, has been photographed several times in the last six months undergoing testing in the U.S. and overseas.
a crossover? yawn it doesn't look like something to look forward to.
Old 01-21-09, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Acura for some reason never seemed to want to try to catch up with its competitors . No V8, no power to match or rival competitors, no 6-7 speed trannys,....WTF. How do they expect to compete with Lexus and especially infiniti in the performance department.
It is not necessary for Acura to compete with Lexus and Infiniti in the performance department. Performance is becoming less important now. Even Mercedes, the acknowledged King of the power department with its AMG cars, now admits that the HP war is over.
Old 01-21-09, 07:50 PM
LexFather

More ghey from them. So they already have 2 SUVs with sales in the dumps, the RDX never meeting sales goals? Their idea? Build and sell a vehicle NO ACURA FAN asked for. A FX/X6 fighter. An answer to a question on one asked. Not only that while the FX/X6 offer V-6s and V-8s, the Acura will again be an old V-6 only with average performance and a SH-AWD system no one exploits. So Acura will have 3 SUVs and 3 sedans. Yeah thats interesting...

This is VERY alarming.

Mendel is quick to say he doesn’t discount the opinions of some of Acura’s most fervent fans. But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on.
The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says

He's basically acknowledged what I've said for years. The sheep put up with crap, Acura knows it and laughs that they can sell anything to them. If I was an Acura fan, I'd be up in arms and PISSED. I now laugh at them as Acura is laughing at them.

Maybe his dumbass hasn't read Acura forums but A LOT of people have indeed jumped shipped and with the new styling, will go to other brands and not look back.

Acura executives have ABSOLUTELY no clue what the HELL a luxury brand is. They clearly are a bunch of guys who worked on previous Civics and Fits who got promoted to Acura and use the same mentality.

What a lame. "He's driven a V-8". Who gives a crap. EVERY COMPANY IS SELLING V-8s. What the HELL are they waiting for?????

Bottom line, even with V-8s and RWD that may eventually come, they have been passed by everyone.
ACURA.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-21-09 at 07:58 PM.

Old 01-21-09, 10:22 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have to admit. The TSX looked a little funky in pictures, but I actually like the looks in real life except for the front grill. The TL; however, looked funky in pictures, and looks worse in real life. I followed one yesterday for the first time and I had a good couple of miles to try and find any good angle of the rear. I just couldn't. There rear of the TL is just plane bad. The front is alright aside from the grill, but that rear is not cutting it. I could buy the new TSX, MDX and RDX, but I couldn't never buy the new updated RL and TL. The 08's I could buy though.
Old 01-21-09, 11:09 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

I've always had a thing for Acura's. When I was in high school a buddy of mine's parents got the previous generation RL, and I was really surprised at how nice that car was. My dad had a 7 series at the time and, yeah, it wasn't quite as nice, however, you still can't beat all the kit that comes standard on the Acrua's. They do offer a lot of tech for not a whole lot a money, it's just a shame they are all FWD.
Old 01-22-09, 12:05 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Bottom line, even with V-8s and RWD that may eventually come, they have been passed by everyone.
ACURA.
hahahahahha, love it.
Old 01-22-09, 12:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they're bringing a new vehicle?

lemme guess. it's the giant front plated version of the accord station wagon CUV they're making now.

doesn't matter now. Acura is already past the point of no return to luxury. They are so behind that it would take them 20 more years to catch up.
Old 01-22-09, 04:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

lol sales dump, everyone runs from gas guzzlers and this is their response?

they're just dumping more fuel onto the fire.

i dunno whether if i should keep laughing at this 16 year old joke or start gettin sad and feel bad for them
Old 01-22-09, 07:46 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Mendel no doubt hopes the new product launch will quiet online bloggers, who have been speculating in recent weeks the Acura brand is in dire straits.
I think we contributed a fair amount of damage here from the Club Lexus...

Old 01-22-09, 08:01 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
I think we contributed a fair amount of damage here from the Club Lexus...

the acura line-up is so weak. their top sedan is far behind the infiniti M series. and infiniti being teir 2 makes acura even more embarrassing.
Old 01-22-09, 08:03 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

First off I never thought Acura would die. I think Acura is making a mistake about releasing a CUV. It's unnecessary especially if it looks like the camflouged posted awhile back. The RDX was hardly a sucess I doubt a CUV will sell any better. If they are planning to compete it against the X6 or FX I suggest forget it! Those two don't even sell in huge numbers. They should just come out with a hybrid to compete with the HS250h. It will sell much greater than a CUV in my opinion.
Old 01-22-09, 08:08 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the acura line-up is so weak. their top sedan is far behind the infiniti M series. and infiniti being teir 2 makes acura even more embarrassing.
Personally I view Infiniti as a tier 1.5 luxury brand being they have all the key ingredients for a tier 1 but only a flagship sedan away from it.

Acura on the other hand... oh boy...

Quick Reply: Reports of Acura’s Death Greatly Exaggerated, Says Exec