Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TAC Acura TL review. 1 out of 5 stars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 01:19 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephlee
In my opinion, it doesnt matter how well the car is built or how powerful it is if it LOOKS BAD
Don't quite understand you. So if the car looks bad then it's a bad car doesn't matter how well it's built or how powerful it is?
Old 01-22-09, 01:23 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think someone threw a toaster into a bathtub, screwed on a NAV unit, and said "That's the new TL!"

So much fail for one car...
Old 01-22-09, 02:02 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogers2
I agree the article was bit annoying to read. He definitely took a lot jabs at the new TL. The TL cannot possible be that bad of a car.
Every article on TAC is annoying to read, that site is gar-bage. They blow C&D clear out of the water and off the planet with their bias.

As bad as the new TL may look, I still wouldn't ever be able to take anything from that crap site seriously. I'd probably find better quality automotive journalism in my toilet, after I finished using it, and before I flushed.

Last edited by JKA.nyc; 01-22-09 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 02:05 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yes, the exterior styling is very, very important part. If the car looks like sh#t I would be embarrassed to drive one, which applies in this case.

This I actually agree with you. Looks are very important and TL is definitely not a beauty queen. But it still is an great car. Would I buy, probably not. But I disagree with those saying oh this car look's bad hence it's built quality and anything about the car is subpar. That I disagree with. Looks have nothing to do with build quality or how the car perform. And in this case the built quality of the TL is excellent and it's SH-AWD system is superb. Great handler for a front wheel drive car.
Old 01-22-09, 02:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'd rather have my dad get a last gen TL. Only with the 6MT of course and I laud Acura for offering the TL in a MT. MB? No. Lexus? No. Audi? No. BMW? Yes. Slim pickens.
Old 01-22-09, 02:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I remember when TAC ripped the new ls460 and people here are complaining about it.

How can we forget so easily?
Old 01-22-09, 02:52 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't even like Acura or the TL very much, but this review was over the top. Complaining about the cars electronic amenities? The navigation system in Honda/Acura products, whatever you have to say about the rest of the car, is one of the best in any class. Calling the engine "Whiny. Tinny. Cheap"? I mean come on - of course it's low on bottom end grunt, but there's nothing cheap sounding about honda's V6s...
Old 01-22-09, 02:55 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would anybody buy this freak show over a G37 or an IS350 is beyond me.
Old 01-22-09, 03:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take the new TSX over this TL any day. I agree with those that said looks are very important. I also agree that **** poor looks doesn't make it a junk or bad car, just an ugly one. An ugly one that probably will lead to poor sales. I can't believe I'm agreeing with 1Sick about car sales Anyway, the seats are very good, SH-AWD very good, handling good, nav very good, power is decent, but I could never buy this car simply because it looks like what it does.

I wouldn't give it a 1-5 stars though, more like a 3 out of 5. If the TL actually had some good looks to it like that last generation, I'd probably give it a 4.5 our of 5. However, looks is pretty important to me when it comes to cars so the TL takes a major hit there.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-22-09 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 04:59 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, yes!
The looks alone turn me off bigtime. For a Luxury brand that had the old TL look very respectable, the new TL is laughable.
Old 01-22-09, 05:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'd take the new TSX over this TL any day. I agree with those that said looks are very important. I also agree that **** poor looks doesn't make it a junk or bad car, just an ugly one. An ugly one that probably will lead to poor sales. I can't believe I'm agreeing with 1Sick about car sales Anyway, the seats are very good, SH-AWD very good, handling good, nav very good, power is decent, but I could never buy this car simply because it looks like what it does.

I wouldn't give it a 1-5 stars though, more like a 3 out of 5. If the TL actually had some good looks to it like that last generation, I'd probably give it a 4.5 our of 5. However, looks is pretty important to me what it comes to cars so the TL takes a major hit there.
After driving the new Accord EX I can't see the Tl warranting the additional money. I will test drive it soon and give my review on the TL so I can count its other merits, which damn near don't matter b/c as you all have stated, its just ugly.

Thing is I don't want to be seen in the car, even if its a test drive and I'm scared I will throw up walking up to it.

After seeing about 3 more this weekend in Atlanta this car is an Acura Aztek. It is beyond disgusting. I've only seen silver and black. The black one, I thought it was a Camry until I had the urge to puke. I closed my eyes, and peeked. Yup it was a beak. It is one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen. I can't believe people actually chose to buy this over anything.

The silver one was only marginally better as the ugly chrome beak front and rear are more hidden but the proportions are just wrong. It also does not mask its size.

I have NO idea how that got passed any design committe. Everyone who signed off on the design should be fired, put in a box, and shipped to the North Pole. I would say Gitmo Bay but they are about to close that.

Old 01-22-09, 05:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I was reading the Preview write-up of the new TL in a back issue of C&D. The headline read "As always, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder...And so does ugly".
Old 01-22-09, 07:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Man, this reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. It's laughable.

I drive this car everyday and all I can say is that it's superb. I would never put a 3-series in the class of a TL. A 3 feels inferior in comparison and I'm being as honest as I can.

I know almost everyone on here is an Acura hater but how many have driven the cars? I'm guessing most hate them because they don't have a V-8 (that most wouldn't buy anyway) and you don't like the grills. But I say they are a perfect blend of sport and luxury. They are very comfortable, ergonomic, handle great, have loads of features, have top quality, and IMO even look great.

Doesn't matter what I say though, because obviously Honda, which is the most loved and highly rated automaker (along with Toyota), doesn't know what they're doing.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 01-22-09 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Man, this reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. It's laughable.

I drive this car everyday and all I can say is that it's superb. I would never put a 3-series in the class of a TL. A 3 feels inferior in comparison and I'm being as honest as I can.

I know almost everyone on here is an Acura hater but how many have driven the cars? I'm guessing most hate them because they don't have a V-8 (that most wouldn't buy anyway) and you don't like the grills. But I say they are a perfect blend of sport and luxury. They are very comfortable, ergonomic, handle great, have loads of features, have top quality, and IMO even look great.

Doesn't matter what I say though, because obviously Honda, which is the most loved and highly rated automaker (along with Toyota), doesn't know what they're doing.
Hey guess what, EVERYONE hates it. Did you read the comments? Have you been on any car forum?. Have you read the Honda/Acura forums? They HATE it. The Tl is a giant ugly miss. Deal with it.

68 Comments on “ Review: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD ”

* Boston :
January 22nd, 2009 at 7:42 am

Wow - that was brutal. I get the feeling that the only way that Acura is going to get a nose job is by firing a few clueless folks. I’d say that it is about time. The design is universally hated and unlike BMW, they don’t have the sales to silence the haters. Why the hell are they waiting so long to fix an obivous and easily correctable issue?
* TaxedAndConfused :
January 22nd, 2009 at 7:50 am

I kind of miss L.J.K. Setright although his endless banging on about why Honda Preludes were the best engineered devices on the planet got boring after a while.
* ARacer :
January 22nd, 2009 at 7:51 am

That bad? Really? Sure you just don’t miss the last gen TL?
* shaker :
January 22nd, 2009 at 7:59 am

Feed the thing a couple of crabs, then retest it.
* jerry weber :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:02 am

the acura product was the first luxury Japanese car line in America. Today it is as described above a mess. Not only is the TL bigger, the RL which cost about $50K, is the same size with all wheel drive standard. Honda has not allowed it’s people to fully develope a luxury line to not only perform up but size up with the competitors. I am 6′4″ and a dealer tried to shoe horn me in an RL. I said why is this car so much smaller than a lexus, mercedes or anything else out there?The old TL might has well been a two seater, if I put the front seat back, no one is going behind me. Further the rear doors were for kids to exit not real people. It seems Honda is on a scale where their best cars are small and as they get larger and more luxurious they get worse.
* minion444 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:16 am

Acura jumped the shark when the discontinued the Legend for the 1st TL. We owned that legend 4 door with a 5 speed. What a great car. THen we got a TL. I couldn’t wait to be rid of it.
* schhim :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:23 am

Ouch. Well, there’s always next season I suppose.
* mike1939 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:24 am

Funny and cogent review of, to me, an offensively ugly car. I cannot understand how this one got under the wire.
Despite his at times unquestioning love of everything Honda LJKS would have hated this shambles of a car too!
* mcs :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:40 am

I saw one the other day and it really is hideous. It almost looks like one of those tacky dealer installed bling options on the nose. I’m sure it won’t be long before there are gold tone versions of the chrome.

The next question is how does it compare with the Genesis?
* RktWgn :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:43 am

I completely agree with this review… and I haven’t even driven the car. The numbers are sufficient to draw conclusions here. This car is simply too heavy and far too techno-ridden to successfully compete in the most competitive category to which it aspires.

That said, I’m certain it will sell pretty well. The former TL’s success and Honda/Acura’s reputation for quality insures that.
* wmba :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:47 am

Went to my first LJKS lecture in London in 1969. Pedantic the man may have been, but the best automotive journalist ever, IMO. He went far beyond the limp understanding of what makes a vehicle tick that the average journo exhibits. And he wasn’t an engineer, but intensely self-taught. Have several of his books.

So, put simply, the five lug Honda wheel design was wrong. Period. And the original WRX was awful in crosswinds because the rear instant roll height is about 6 inches too high. Nobody else criticized the WRX for this error, except LJKS, who described the problem. Like Subaru styling and the inevitable awfulness of CVT trannies, Subaru did not listen to the free advice from someone who knew why high speed stability of the pre ‘08 chassis sucked. (I own a Subie, so I feel free to criticize)

Then there’s the Acura TL, one of which blights my neighborhood looking like a cartoon version of mini over-blinged zeppelin airship.

Just like Cadillac and Lincoln, Honda amazes me that in its multi-billion dollar enterprise, there appears to be not one person employed in giving real names to its Acuras. I can’t remember which car is which. Nor do I care, especially as Mr. Farago says this vehicle is totally wretched. However, I did finally work out that a Lincoln MKT is a truck, geddit, and an MKS is a sedan. But Acura TL, RL, TS? Who cares?
* John R :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:52 am

Another reason to get an Infiniti G…or Lexus IS. Honda needs to develop a 3-series competitive RWD sedan PDQ, period.

The last TL was great car (@ jerry weber ever been in the back of a G35?) for what it was and, unfortunately, this new TL has made the old one an instant classic.

What annoys me is that, probably, the only reason why the Accords do not have manual-mode autos is because of the fact there really isn’t much daylight between the TL and a fully optioned Accord. Irritating.
* PanzerJaeger :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:54 am

I love it when Mr. Farago reviews a car he doesn’t like. No mercy!

Why would anyone by an Acura?

The Germans do high-end cars so much better, and if you’re afraid of their reliability, Lexus and Infiniti split the luxury/performance market up nicely.

Theres only so much room in this market. BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus are entrenched. Audi and Infiniti are surging. Somebody has to falter.
* tcwarnke :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:54 am

Anyone else think that snout was copied from Saturn?
* thoots :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:12 am

Yep, I just can’t get past that “styling.” Perhaps it’s a bit better than platform-mate Accord’s looks, which just don’t seem “right” to me in any way whatsoever. At least TL makes something interesting out of Accord’s just-plain-ill-proportioned rear end. Still, like all of Acura’s styling these days, it just looks to me like the proverbial “tack on a few dozen styling bits” rather than building some pleasing, overall styling design.

I actually saw my first 2009 TL on the streets yesterday, in fact — so at least they’ve sold ONE of the things in my area. Since I haven’t driven one of the things, I’ll leave ride/drive comments to others, but I sure expect that the new “Acura styling theme” has been the opposite of “gotta have it” styling for a lot of potential customers — keeping people out of the showrooms, instead of attracting them.
* highrpm :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:16 am

I spent some time with this car at the Detroit Auto Show last night. I just can’t get over that mess of a front end. Why such a huge front overhang? Honda, you know better than that. Remember your old Legend (18 years ago!) with its complicated transmission that allowed you to tuck the engine forward and still mimick a rear-drive sedan’s tiny front overhang? Did that particular transmission engineer retire?

The previous TL was so much nicer.

Well, good for me I guess. My list of cars that I’d like to buy used in five years just got shorter by one, and fewer choices means fewer headaches right?
* NickR :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:20 am

It would look slightly better if they mounted the body the other way around. Not much better mind you…it’s a hideous design. The last car I can think of that was equally as bad was the 92-98 Skylark. This Acura absolutely sucks appearance-wise.

I haven’t looked at Acura’s sales charts in Canada, but it seems that I see far fewer of them than I used to. The fact there dealers seem to awful doesn’t help.
* ponchoman49 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:20 am

Yet another example of todays thinking. Bloated bland generic styling. Silly overwrought front end treatment. A totally forgettable black lung interior with silver accents that will wear off in a few years. Can’t tell what it is from the side view. Honestly are todays stylists as clueless as todays singers, artists and so called movie stars? Things have gone so wrong this dreadful decade and car styling or lack of styling leads the way for an all time record low. Yes folks we have come to a time when telling one mid size Asian sedan apart from another will require checking out the front end badge. And the worst part is that this mediocre crap is directing the future global design for American car styling.
* Martin Schwoerer :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:25 am

Yes! A mention of the great LJKS by Farago. And several readers follow up, to boot! Life can be so good sometimes.
* ra_pro :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:33 am

The car might be ugly but it’s not Aztec-ugly as in from all angles. It’s also interesting and un-Japanese like. The body profile is fine, the rear is OK, it’s only the front that needs some cosmetic surgery. I give Acura kudos for trying to differentiate themselves in different ways from the competition, by distinct look, low no-option price, 4-wheel drive, lots of electronic gizmos. The next generation needs just minor tweaks in the over-all scheme of things to be an excellent car.
* jerseydevil :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:46 am

I was unable to find anything to like about the outside of this car, until the other day when i was following one. It has a rear grill. Small to be sure, but it has one and it mimics the front one. Not a happy thing to mimic, but there it is nonetheless. I really miss rear grills. I hope this becomes the new styling thing, instead of audi-esque beak noses which are suddenly everywhere.
* tced2 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:52 am

Some of the dealers in my area (Indianapolis) are painting the “chrome” part of the upper grille with body color paint and it looks a bit better. They’re doing it to TSX models also.

re:heavy
My fondest wish is for an automaker to come out with a replacement model that is similar sized but weighs LESS. It gets you better performance and economy. I’m tired of “longer, lower, wider”.
* psarhjinian :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:06 am

Acura jumped the shark when the discontinued the Legend for the 1st TL

Technically, the Legend became the RL; the Vigor was the TL/CL. I’d say the Vigor-to-TL change was a positive one. The first TL was a really good car, transmission issues aside (and the six-speed CL was amazing); the Vigor was a meager little bugger that wasn’t fooling anyone.

The Legend to RL was handled badly. The first RL was nice enough, but really dull. I don’t know why the second one doesn’t sell: it’s actually a nice car, if anonymously styled. Every time I see one (pre-nosejobbed) I think it’s a handsome, understated car. They drive well, too.

The real “jump the shark” moment was the loss of the RSX/Integra. The RSX got a lot of affluent, young people into Acura’s showrooms, people who would return in a three of so years and buy a TL or MDX. Honda, stupidly, thought that by eliminating the RSX, Acura would lose the boy-racer image that prevented it’s being seriously considered against BMW, and that RSX intenders would buy Civic Si’s, TSXs and RDXs instead. What actually happened is that RSX buyers bought GLIs, GTIs, MS3s and Minis, and that the flow of new blood into Acura showrooms dried up.
* Juniper :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:06 am

OK, I’m not an anglophile, is “pants” good or bad.
* Mirko Reinhardt :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 am

# tced2 :
re:heavy
My fondest wish is for an automaker to come out with a replacement model that is similar sized but weighs LESS. It gets you better performance and economy. I’m tired of “longer, lower, wider”.

Well, the E60 5-series is a lot lighter than the E39. The current, aluminum Jaguar XJ is lighter than the old, smaller steel one. The Mazda 2 is lighter than the old one, but a lot smaller inside too. The new Mazda 6 is lighter than the old one and a bit larger.

The list goes on.
* AllStingNoBling :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:11 am

The older TL was one of the most handsome cars to ever roll out of Japan. It looked solid, yet athletic. It really looked like a, “car’s car.”

The new TL is an abject abomination. It looks like a car designed by people who actively seek to offend others. The overall look of the car is even more off-putting because all one has to do is think back just a single model year to when the TL was such a good looking car. The contrast is stark enough that the mere thought is all it takes to make your head shake left, and right in disapproval.

The other problem is that there is just so much electronic crap stuffed in that car, anybody would be forgiven to think the engine is just there to keep the computers alive, rather than actually move the vehicle. All that stuff in there must surely take away from the driving experience. It’s like a big, distracting mobile phone on wheels!

It’s cars like these, which make the the BMW 3 Series just look better, and better.
* 200k-min :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:13 am

Compared to the old model TL this is an epic failure. Just the other day I saw an ‘08 TL - Type S in a parking lot and couldn’t help but think that’s one sexy car. This thing, puke.

But as someone already mentioned, it will sell because Honda/Acura people will buy on their reputation alone. My in-laws are some of those buyers, who bought the new RL when it came out a few years back. Drove it once and wondered why anyone would spend close to $80k CAD for that thing…just don’t make any negative comments in front of them….they love it…and cross shopped Lexus and Audi against it.

Do I think the Germans or Lexus/Infinity make great lux cars…not at all for what they cost, but the current Acura lineup is at best a rest stop between Toyota/Honda and BMW/Lexus. Honda just hasn’t figured that out yet.
* Nedmundo :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:13 am

While I actually like the new TSX’s appearance, this TL is disappointing for sure. I think it looks better on the road than in photos, but in this case that’s not saying much. I’m even more disturbed by the technological overkill and excessive weight, because those tell me just how far Honda has strayed from its roots. To me, Hondas should emphasize Zen-like functional simplicity, efficiency, and agility over gizmos and brute force. The Civic Si and S2000 are true Hondas in this sense, and the TSX, despite its flaws, is close. While I’ll reserve my own final judgment until I drive it, this TL appears far off the mark.
* Michael Karesh :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:18 am

RF clearly remains the master of the TTAC-style review.

The TL is merely the latest sign that Acura/Honda has lost its way. Too big, too ugly (especially with the non-S wheels), and too un-fun to drive. I’m not even a fan of the profile lauded here: the front end looks like they took one look at the raw block of clay and decided that the front fenders were done. Influenced by Soviet limo design, perhaps?

I remain a huge fan of the 2004 TL’s styling.

On the reliability front, the 2004-2008 TLs continue to require few repairs based on responses to TrueDelta’s Vehicle Reliability Survey. Still waiting for enough owners of the 2009. If you know one, send them on over. If the new TL is like the new MDX, it could require more repairs than the old one.

We’ve added a Vehicle Reliability Survey results page for each model that includes 5-10 competing models. TL’s is here:

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabi...=5&email=Guest
* talkstoanimals :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:33 am

Sad to say, but Honda seems to have lost the thread. My first two cars were a ‘92 Honda Civic hatch and a ‘90 CRX Si. They were great cars - simple, light (a la Colin Chapman’s dictates), good looking, smart handling, efficient and bullet-proof.

Most modern Hondas and Acuras are some combination of odd looking, bloated, ergonomically challenged or endowed with strange ride/handling characteristics. I mean the dash of the Insight looks like a tumorous guppy ferchrissakes.

The Honda of old would never have turned out such a disgrace. Going from the purity of the NSX to such misbegotten products as the RDX is not progress. What a shame.
* GS650G :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:40 am

At one time Acura filled a void with a sporty car, a near luxury car, and overall appealed to the Honda buyers ready to move upmarket but still have a reliable Honda under them.

No it seems spaceship styling, “me-too” gizmos, and overall bloated cars are what defines Acura. I also agree the naming of their cars has gotten ridiculous.

What happened to legend, vigor, etc?
* WaftableTorque :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:42 am

It used to be that if you wanted a technology laden Japanese car, you bought a Mitsubishi. The Galants, Diamantes, and Legnums had AWD, 4 wheel steering, semi-active air suspensions, and all sorts of electronic doodads. Now Mitsubishi is on the verge of being swallowed up, and Acura has moved into that niche, with the dashboard buttons to match.

I’ve seen quite a few new TL’s in Edmonton, Canada. Or at least I think I have, I can’t really tell the difference anymore between the new RL, TL, and TSX. What a brand disaster.
* mikeolan :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:43 am

Who would buy this over a Maxima? I drove both recently and the Maxima ‘feels’ like it costs about 10k more (relatively speaking, both are priced high.)

Just another crap product churned out by Honda.
* MgoBLUE :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:46 am

The exterior is aweful in every way. I’m very disappointed. It’s almost like the engineers knew they weren’t getting a V8 anytime soon so they decided to distance themselves from the competitiion by going ugly technological.

RF +1 — the interior is solid. Both in terms of quality materials as well as a nice balance between classy and athletic. Acura still trumps Infiniti in this very important metric, while Lexus goes the all-lux route.

Lower body weight: +1. That would be keeping with their heritage. This is a must.

The technology in Acura’s shouldn’t be knocked. My ‘04 6-speed TL (which is FIVE YEARS OLD now) is still on par with the technology of other’s ’09s. Handsfree voice recognition. DVD Audio. Nav which is more than ‘just Nav’ (traffic & weather). VLEV. 30mpg+ capability. We can’t fault the 2.8 for putting too little technology into their cars AND fault Acura for putting too much.

The 6-speed SH-AWD TL arrives in October. If they can also reskin this cat by then, she will purr again. Granted, that’s a big IF.
* AllStingNoBling :
January 22nd, 2009 at 10:58 am

@ Michael Karesh:

How about a section on True Delta where the shear ugliness of a vehicle actually causes retinal damage. That could count against a car, ya know!
* eh_political :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:00 am

Honda with the jiggly suspension again. LJK would probably be able to answer this thought definitively, but from my understanding, the height of the average Japanese person is part of the issue. Being inches shorter than the average American or European, they have a different gait, and so prefer suspension tuning that is a bit jiggly for our tastes. The new Fit handles great, but the ride is rubbish for the wheelbase–it’s my top niggle with the car.

So perhaps ride is a result of cost cutting. Honda is no longer retuning cars for export markets? Just a thought, but again, this is the second Honda made in Japan in which ride quality stands out as peculiar.

The car itself is ghastly in terms of styling…clearly there is a problem. Let’s see if midcycle refreshes address these lapses in judgement.

Another curious effort from Honda.
* Mrb00st :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:19 am

one out of five stars… ouch.

I have to say though, the new TL seems like a step backwards over the old one in all respects except… size. And like the old TL was too small?

I guess I just don’t get it…
* jgh :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:29 am

This car wouldn’t be so hideous if the previous car didn’t look so good. Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend in the midsize luxury segment - look at the downhill transitions that happened with the current 5er and upcoming E-class. At least Audi and Lexus seems to be headed in the right direction - making their vehicles more visually appealing.
* suedenim :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:29 am

A question that came to my mind in a very practical sense: Why, exactly, would anyone inclined toward Honda and Acura choose a TL (or a TSX) over a Honda Accord EX-L V6?

I had a 2002 Acura RSX, which I loved, but it was time for something new. Looking at Acura’s line, there’s no longer anything like the RSX. The TSX was… OK, at least in the 2007-8 models I drove as dealer loaners a few times. (I understand the TSX too has changed for 2009, but haven’t driven one.) The TL looked OK too, but fairly expensive.

So I looked at the Accord, and ended up buying one, and loving it so far. I truly can’t figure out why, among the Accord, RSX and TL, anyone would choose one of the two Acuras.
* gcorley :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:32 am

I guess you meant “seat-of-your-pants” and not just “pants”???
* Brian E :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:35 am

So perhaps ride is a result of cost cutting. Honda is no longer retuning cars for export markets? Just a thought, but again, this is the second Honda made in Japan in which ride quality stands out as peculiar.

The TL is made in Ohio. The TSX and RL are made in Japan.

I haven’t driven the car yet, so I’ll refrain from commenting on that. But am I the only one who doesn’t think it looks bad? I don’t find a whole lot to like in this segment overall. The 3-series looks goofy and cheap (especially the ’09s, with the horribly large and tacky sDrive / xDrive emblems tacked on them). The 5-series, which is actually closest to the TL in size, always looked odd to me. The new G37 managed to take a trim and athletic design and make it look bulbous. The C-class looks like it was left in the dryer too long. The IS was probably the high water mark in the segment, but the design refresh for ‘09 apparently consisted of grafting Galant tail lights onto the rear for no good reason. The new A4 is nice, but awfully conservative; the first time I saw one, I thought it was a first-gen TSX. In fact I’d say the most upmarket design in the segment belongs to the Maxima, which would probably be selling like hotcakes if only it were badged as the Infiniti I35.

Honda’s insistence on developing its own slushboxes is hurting them at this point. Fuel economy and perceived character of the engine would change greatly with better gearing.
* buzzliteyear :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:41 am

The problem with the new TL (and, to a lesser extent, the new TSX) is the conflict between Honda’s vision for the Acura brand and their willingness/ability to execute that vision.

Honda wants Acura to be seen as a “Tier 1″ luxury brand comparable to Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, etc.

However, are they willing to engineer dedicated RWD platforms for Acura? No.

Are they willing to install leading-edge engineering technologies like direct injection, 6+ speed transmissions, or semi-active suspension? No.

Are they willing to spend the money to upgrade the interior materials and noise dampening from somewhat-better-Honda to Audi/Jaguar/Mercedes-Benz-competitive? No.

Instead, they stretch and tweak existing Honda platforms, throw in a bunch of electronic gadgets, and wrap the result in fugly ‘distinctive’ styling.

Because of the inherent goodness of the underlying Honda product, the results are ‘decent’ cars that will satisfy the vast majority of customers. But the idea that these cars will create ‘conquest’ sales from Audi/BMW/Lexus/Mercedes is laughable.

Honda needs to go back to Acura’s roots. Almost everyone who bought an Integra, a Legend, a TL, or an RSX understood that they were buying an ‘improved’ Civic or Accord.

Those buyers were not looking for Lexus-type sensory deprivation, Mercedes-type prestige, or BMW-level ultimate performance.

Those buyers recognized and appreciated the basic Honda traits underlying the Acura products.

Those are products that Honda knows how to make and knows how to sell.

Trying to stretch those characteristics to go ‘toe-to-toe’ with the top luxury brands will simply embarrass Honda (as the new TL demonstrates).
* CarnotCycle :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:49 am

This is really too bad for Honda. That company has chosen an odd time (and bad market-timing) to bloat-up the line, and this rolling tuna seems to exemplify that. Bangle Bimmers are ugly (girlfriend saw a new 1-Series yesterday…her unprompted reaction? “That’s a BMW!? Ewwwww!), and this Acura is ugly.

But if I see a Bangled Bavarian roll by I know its an ugly BMW. But when I see one of these roll by, all I know is ugly. To be anonymous and fugly at the same time is maybe the most toxic combo possible for a luxury car. Maybe that’s a good thing for Acura right now no one associates the brand with this can.

I loved the old TSX, that car really was a driver’s car executed nicely. The last Legend coupe with the 3.2L VTEC RWD layout I think was probably best Acura ever made. Maybe Acura can pull a Caddy and at least have one model they hit out of the park sometime soon, but I don’t see it on the horizon anywheres.
* Brian E :
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:59 am

A question that came to my mind in a very practical sense: Why, exactly, would anyone inclined toward Honda and Acura choose a TL (or a TSX) over a Honda Accord EX-L V6?

I’ve got an ‘06 TSX, so I can answer that question at least about that. I honestly never seriously considered the Accord, simply because it was too large. The inside of the Accord, while made with high-quality materials, was extremely bland. It also didn’t have some of the goodies that the TSX had, such as HIDs or built-in Bluetooth.

The TSX fits in a niche of cars that are smaller and more agile than a fully loaded family sedan while not costing significantly more. The other cars I looked at also fit in this segment; most had four cylinder engines producing about 200 horsepower.
* Brian E :
January 22nd, 2009 at 12:02 pm

The last Legend coupe with the 3.2L VTEC RWD layout I think was probably best Acura ever made.

The Legend was never RWD. It was a longitudinally-mounted FWD car, which gave it a RWD look.
* wfs100 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Indeed Acura’s have lost their way. TSX turned into Lexus wannabee, and TL looks like it has an identity crisis. RL has never sold well as it’s overpriced for what’s on offer. Lovely car as far as it goes but they are competing in the leasing market, and a BMW535iX is just cheaper and a far more attractive proposition when leasing. Dealers in Canada certainly complain that Honda has never really promoted or actively supported RL sales - too busy chasing the MDX sales. Just ask R Wagoner what happens when you do that.
* Samir :
January 22nd, 2009 at 12:13 pm

But how do you really feel, RF?
* hofmeisterkink :
January 22nd, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Like someone said, this TL is not Aztec-ugly. It’s an unconventional beauty, with emphasis on unconventional, kinda like the pre-nosejob Tribeca. That said, I wouldn’t buy it though…
* carguy :
January 22nd, 2009 at 12:55 pm

One star seems harsh until you compare the new TL with other cars in this class and price range. Then it seems almost generous.
* BobJava :
January 22nd, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Great to have a solid one-star review around here. All of the four-star reviews were getting a bit unsettling.

I can’t stand these designers going for “different” at the sake of good design. This TL is like the really annoying kid in high school/college who acted out just to stand out, and only did so to mask underlying ineptitude and insecurity.

Long live the Integra, I guess.
* tced2 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I am annoyed by companies that keep making their cars bigger. Others want a bigger engine. I have a ‘05 TSX and the new model is bigger. Others want a V6 TSX - it’s called the TL. If you need more room than the TL - it’s called the RL.
* jaje :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:08 pm

As a previous owners of 2 Preludes (’85 DX 5 spd manual - 287k on it when sold and ‘92 Si 5 spd - 150k when sold) I agree it was one of the best handling sport compact cars in its day. That aside…

Acura has just gone bad - no focus but only on technology that very few really care about except S class owners who would never set foot in an Acura showroom unless to buy their teenage daughter a TSX. Frankly - all Acuras were never about good looks (the 1g TSX and 2g Integra and 2g TL and NSX were the only cars that had any beauty) - kinda frumpy and unique but not offensive. It was what was under the skin mechanics and driving dynamics wise that counted and their platforms and cars were very well made and fun to drive (sans RL). Now they have lost their direction and are losing customers by trying to be too many things to too little people.
* Dan :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:09 pm

As the owner of an ‘05 Acura TL, it saddens me that Honda has lost the plot. If my car were to be stolen/totaled tomorrow and I had to replace it, Honda/Acura would be unlikely to get the sale. What would get the sale is an interesting question. My wife and I really like the manual transmission, which is hard to find on similar cars. (You can get one in an Audi A4, for example, but the back seat is a bad joke. You can move up to an A6, but then it’s automatic only and costs big bucks.) Maybe we’d need to have a look at a Pontiac G8 GXP. Similar price…
* carlisimo :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Honda with the jiggly suspension again. LJK would probably be able to answer this thought definitively, but from my understanding, the height of the average Japanese person is part of the issue. Being inches shorter than the average American or European, they have a different gait, and so prefer suspension tuning that is a bit jiggly for our tastes. The new Fit handles great, but the ride is rubbish for the wheelbase–it’s my top niggle with the car.

There’s something like a 2.5″ difference between Japanese and Americans on average, and almost 6″ difference between men and women in both countries… do women prefer a jiggly ride?

Cars tuned for Japanese roads are just going to come out different. They tend to have much smoother roads - the construction industry has a lot of political clout. Speeds in the city are very low. They also have to do a lot of driving through twisty mountain roads. So twisty that they try to avoid making much use of sway bars, because they might cause the inside rear wheel to lift up and lose traction, with bad results. They control roll with stiff springs instead. That’s especially true of aftermarket suspension companies like TEIN, and I’d say it affects the GT-R too.

The TL wasn’t designed for Japan though, so no excuses there. I blame it on being designed for America. We’re more used to the idea that smooth=old man’s luxury, and stiff=sporty than Europeans are. The looks are also American, more along the lines of Cadillac’s styling in intent (not in execution, just intent).
* theswedishtiger :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:11 pm

“ra_pro :
January 22nd, 2009 at 9:33 am
The car might be ugly”

Yes it is ugly. Nay, fugly. So fugly that if I passed one of these I would have to look to see what kind of person actualy purchased one. This is designer road-kill.
* k.amm :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:15 pm

So when we’re going to hear anything about the SH-AWD?

In fact I would LOOOVE to see an AWD shootout: Acura SH-AWD vs Subaru AWD vs Audi Quattro (Torsen) vs MB 4Matic vs Volvo (Haldex) etc
* wsn :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:18 pm

This new TL is certainly not Ferrari gorgeous, but it’s no new E-class ugly either. BTW, it’s more reliable and cheaper than the new E. So, as for me, if I were to pay CND$38k for a car, I will choose this over any MB B-class or BMW 1-series or Audi A3.

I think Honda is trying to polarize the buying public. It won’t be any good if 100% of the population mildly like this design. The final sales figure could actually be better if 5% totally love it, while the other 95% hate it. This happened with the current gen Civic, and that was a success.
* Robert Schwartz :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:27 pm

“The TL offers a few extra inches of lebensraum here and there.”

I was skeptical, so I went to Edmunds and ran their compare cars ap on the Accord, the TL, and the RL. I did not see this claim supported there, all though — Lord knows — Edmunds is not perfect.

The three cars are very close in all relevant dimensions. The RL and the Accord are so close that I suspect they are the same car. The differences are the AWD and the the price. I cannot see how the AWD is worth $10,000 based on your report.

The most expensive Accord is $30K. You can save $4K off that by skipping the leather and the nav system, and getting the EX instead of the EL.

Personally, I am going to hang on the 2002 Accord for a while longer. Maybe Honda will do better on the next rotation.
* cjdumm :
January 22nd, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Just wondering…

Did they bother to license the Optimus Prime snout from Transformers, or did they just steal it? (Others have noted a Megatron resemblance, YMMV.)
* socsndaisy :
January 22nd, 2009 at 3:23 pm

DAVENPORT!!!! Bring Mr. Griswold’s car back around here!
* Dave M. :
January 22nd, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Sure you just don’t miss the last gen TL?

Why yes, yes I do.

This thing is beautiful on the inside, hideous on the outside. Unfortunately, I have to have my eyes open when I walk up to it to drive someplace.

Unbelieveably, because I always thought Acura was on a mission, they seem to have lost their way.
* argentla :
January 22nd, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I finally saw an new TL on the street, and was not as offended by its styling in the metal. It’s still crazy ugly, but it doesn’t provoke the stare-in-horror response that the current 5-series does, or the audible, “My god, what is that?” exclamation of something like the Aztec.

Which doesn’t make it a desirable car. Grandiose size, needless gimmickry, tacky styling, numb handling, and premium price scream “Lincoln Continental,” not Acura.
* Porsche986 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 5:37 pm

OUCH. Why are my eyes bleeding? I actually LOOKED at the picture. This car is just plain hideous.
* buzzliteyear :
January 22nd, 2009 at 6:07 pm

cjdumm wrote:

Did they bother to license the Optimus Prime snout from Transformers, or did they just steal it? (Others have noted a Megatron resemblance, YMMV.)

No, it was modeled after the anime Mutant Atomic Beaver….
* davey49 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 6:21 pm

“In reality, the TL’s engine is a sonic affront at anything less than 5000rpm. Whiny. Tinny. Cheap. Although the TL’s five-speed autobox has a class-leading ratio spread (how’s that for a boast?), it’s a couple of bolts short of class-compliant silkiness. ”

Somebody will have to explain how engines sound cheap.
To me the best engines sound a bit obnoxious
like a GM OHV V6 or an L5 Audi, Toyota 2TC

I hate silkiness
* dwford :
January 22nd, 2009 at 7:48 pm

One look at the ugliness and the review kind of writes itself. RF, thanks for calling out the uselessness of the onboard hard drive. Why WOULD you take the time to rip your CDs onto your car’s hard drive? What a waste of time in the iPod age.

There are so many better choices in today’s market than the new TL.
* carguy622 :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:29 pm

To those who ask why anyone would would buy an Acura over a loaded Accord, I have my own personal story.

My previous car was a ‘04 Accord EX V6, very nice, too big, kind of boring (save for that gem of an engine), a jumpy ride, and lots of problems. So I traded it for a ‘06 TSX 6-speed. Perfect size, very fuel efficient, smooth modestly powerful engine, sweet 6 speed, and good handling/ride. Plus I was tired of seeing Accords everywhere.

I also tested the IS250, Audi A4, and Volvo V40, all were inferior to the ‘06 TSX in my experience. Unfortunately the new TSX, TL, and RL are disappointing.
* SherbornSean :
January 22nd, 2009 at 8:46 pm

I love Hondas but even I have to admit that Acura has lost its way. They need to figure out what their niche is, now that the G35 and Genesis stole their lunch. Pity.

Old 01-22-09, 07:45 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

I loved the old TL and obviously the TL type-S.
Just dont like this one all. Wtf is up with the sheild grills?

Quick Reply: TAC Acura TL review. 1 out of 5 stars.