Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TAC Acura TL review. 1 out of 5 stars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The circus-clown grille on the new TL is a joke (like on some other new Acuras), the electric power-steering is overboosted, and I didn't like the loss of the wood-trim inside this year, but, overall, in my review, I found it a pretty nice car. There have been comments about the "stiff" ride...I myself am very sensitive to stiff suspensions and tires, and I didn't find the ride that bad. The addition of the SH-AWD option this year is a major improvement from previous models. And this is a powerful V6, (over 300 HP with the AWD), though, like a number of other Honda/Acura engines, the torque doesn't equal the HP.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 10:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Man, this reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. It's laughable.

I drive this car everyday and all I can say is that it's superb. I would never put a 3-series in the class of a TL. A 3 feels inferior in comparison and I'm being as honest as I can.

I know almost everyone on here is an Acura hater but how many have driven the cars? I'm guessing most hate them because they don't have a V-8 (that most wouldn't buy anyway) and you don't like the grills. But I say they are a perfect blend of sport and luxury. They are very comfortable, ergonomic, handle great, have loads of features, have top quality, and IMO even look great.

I bet these were the same designers that came out with the AASCC (Advanced Acura Sports Car Concept) that was supposed to be the NSX successor. You know, the one that looked the same from the front and back? I'm old school when it comes to car design in that the front should not look like the rear.
Doesn't matter what I say though, because obviously Honda, which is the most loved and highly rated automaker (along with Toyota), doesn't know what they're doing.
I don't know man. I've owned 2 BMW 3 series cars and I strongly don't think they are inferior cars to the Acura TL. I'm also not a Honda/Acura hater as I still own a Honda Accord, and I've owned 5 Acura cars and 3 Honda cars personally. I'm one of the biggest supporters here for the SH-AWD because I absolutely love it on the RL. I'm also a big fan of the 05-08 RL, but don't like the looks of the 09 RL update. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. If you like the new grill and the rear end of the new TL more power to you.
Old 01-23-09, 04:41 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey guess what, EVERYONE hates it. Did you read the comments? Have you been on any car forum?. Have you read the Honda/Acura forums? They HATE it. The Tl is a giant ugly miss. Deal with it.

I love Hondas but even I have to admit that Acura has lost its way. They need to figure out what their niche is, now that the G35 and Genesis stole their lunch. Pity.[/I]
Not to be rude. But really? Everyone? Then who the is buying them now. If Everyone then shouldn't the sale of the 09 Acura TL be 0 ? I mean why would someone buy a car they hate? Sorry have to correct you there when you said "everyone"

Anyway, have you check AcuraZine website. I believe some people does like the look of the new TL over there. I know you don't like Acura/Honda much but "Everyone" is a bit over the top, no?
Old 01-23-09, 07:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
The typical answer to that is 'sheep' and this wouldnt be club lexus without a honda/acura bashing thread of the day.
I try to be as fair and objective about Acuras, especially in my reviews, as I do about any other make...including one of my own favorites, Subaru. And I've consistantly defended Acura's position not to develop V8s and RWD for their flagships.
Old 01-23-09, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Not to be rude. But really? Everyone? Then who the is buying them now. If Everyone then shouldn't the sale of the 09 Acura TL be 0 ? I mean why would someone buy a car they hate? Sorry have to correct you there when you said "everyone"

Anyway, have you check AcuraZine website. I believe some people does like the look of the new TL over there. I know you don't like Acura/Honda much but "Everyone" is a bit over the top, no?
Seems 60% hate the look of it according to their own poll. Whats the eye opening part is this. When the last generation TL debuted, the forum was busy busy busy immediately, showing its popularity. The new TL forum there is dead as a doornail with maybe 5 actual owners posting.

I can change "Everyone" to either
-Most everyone
-People with class and taste
-People with actual eyes
-People that don't like Megatron Turds
If you think we are bad, don't read some other car forums. SOme of the comments made me cringe. Hell just look at the comments made in the TAC review!

Old 01-23-09, 11:30 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As entertaining as this was,

TTAC is still a lame *** review site with little credibility.

I notice they always post tiny *** pictures as if we're still in the 33.6k baud modem days,...... and as if all the car companies banned ttac from their high-rez press release pictures.

And this review is 5 months late, as if TTAC never gets invited to the press reviews.
Like they got last dibs on this car.

haha
Old 01-23-09, 11:36 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't get why some people rely so much on reviews...just take a test drive and experience it for yourself. Most likely your needs, wants and preferences will be different than that of the tester.
Old 01-23-09, 01:27 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dunnojack
As entertaining as this was,

TTAC is still a lame *** review site with little credibility.

I notice they always post tiny *** pictures as if we're still in the 33.6k baud modem days,...... and as if all the car companies banned ttac from their high-rez press release pictures.

And this review is 5 months late, as if TTAC never gets invited to the press reviews.
Like they got last dibs on this car.

haha
+1 TTAC is king of lame *** review sites. Their editors all come off as a bunch of scumbags in their writing along with a good portion of their readership which you can see through their postings. I have a tough time understanding how they manage to keep their site afloat and if people actually take them serious.
Old 01-23-09, 04:16 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can people watch top gear and enjoy it so much and then say ttac is a load of bull? both are for entertainment, yet people cling to everything top gear says about every car. besides, ttac loves infiniti/nissan/mazda so its not just all german stuff oh yah and the ISF got 5 stars...

Last edited by gshb; 01-23-09 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 04:31 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Man, this reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. It's laughable.

I drive this car everyday and all I can say is that it's superb. I would never put a 3-series in the class of a TL. A 3 feels inferior in comparison and I'm being as honest as I can.

I know almost everyone on here is an Acura hater but how many have driven the cars? I'm guessing most hate them because they don't have a V-8 (that most wouldn't buy anyway) and you don't like the grills. But I say they are a perfect blend of sport and luxury. They are very comfortable, ergonomic, handle great, have loads of features, have top quality, and IMO even look great.

Doesn't matter what I say though, because obviously Honda, which is the most loved and highly rated automaker (along with Toyota), doesn't know what they're doing.
I have to disagree. I've driven the 2002 TL - the car is essentially the same as the 2002 Accord I have...Engine has a little more bite, but the materials, doors, the way it handles...it's just like the Accord. The same goes for the 2004+ TL. My 2004 Accord EXL is not a big departure from the Acura TL...same overboosted steering, really the same interior materials, etc.

I don't think the TL competes in any real way with the 3-series. Handling, no. Interior luxury...No. Flat out performance is a big no. RWD v. FWD, no torque down low v. lots of it, etc.
Old 01-23-09, 07:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guess what, EVERYONE hates it. Did you read the comments? Have you been on any car forum?. Have you read the Honda/Acura forums? They HATE it. The Tl is a giant ugly miss. Deal with it.
Come on SICK.

How can a car be hated by EVERYONE and be an absolute epic fail when it is SELLING MORE SUCCESSFULLY than.......

(December sales figures)

Lexus IS: 3539
Lexus GS: 1200
Infiniti M: 1194
Audi A6: 1218
Lincoln MKS: 2100
Lincoln MKZ: 2089
MB E-class: 3464

(Acura TL: 3607)

And these cars that beat the TL's sales didn't do it by much more....

BMW 5-series: 3699
Caddy CTS: 4296
Infiniti G sedan: 3929
Audi A4: 3854

The only 3 cars that really sell a good amount more is the usual 3 series, C-Class, and ES

I hate to have to point out these numbers Mike, but they PROVE that the TL is drawing plenty of customers and selling successfully.

Just one favor Mike, please go test drive a new TL-AWD. After doing so, you will be forced to retract all previous statements. You'll love it.
Old 01-23-09, 07:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You could also add the new and highly regarded Genesis to the list.
Old 01-23-09, 08:06 PM
LexFather

Come on SICK.

How can a car be hated by EVERYONE and be an absolute epic fail when it is SELLING MORE SUCCESSFULLY than.......

(December sales figures)

(Acura TL: 3607)

And these cars that beat the TL's sales didn't do it by much more....

BMW 5-series: 3699
Caddy CTS: 4296
Infiniti G sedan: 3929
Audi A4: 3854

The only 3 cars that really sell a good amount more is the usual 3 series, C-Class, and ES

I hate to have to point out these numbers Mike, but they PROVE that the TL is drawing plenty of customers and selling successfully.

Just one favor Mike, please go test drive a new TL-AWD. After doing so, you will be forced to retract all previous statements. You'll love it.
I said I will try not to throw up when I do test drive it. Having recently tested a V-6 Accord and being impressed by it, I just don't see the TL being that much better.

I don't mean to be insulting but I can beat that entire post with one sentence with two words.

SALES GOALS

Acura has publically stated they want to sell 70k new TLs. Well they are selling about 3500-4000 a month WITH new 08s on the lot. Do the math. Thats a little over 1/2 of their sales goal.

Not ONE of those cars has sales goals at 70k a year. Also they are much more expensive or more expensive than the TL.

Complete apples to oranges here. I am sorry but you haven't proven anything other than proving me right.

Acura has said they want to sell 70k TLs a year. Since its debut its not going to be close to reaching that number. They will need to sell 6,000 TLs a month.

The one car you can compare it to is the ES 350, since I believe Lexus also aimed to sell 70k ES 350s the first 2 or 3 years.

By your logic I could say the RX 350 embarreses the MDX and RDX combined as it sells more than both combined. Thing is the all 3 cars have different sales goals.

As of late
05RL-never came close to sales goals (which I predicted, and actually EVER in 14 years)
09 TSX-below sales goals (which I predicted) and this was before the economic crash
RDX-below sales goals (which I predicted) and never came close to hitting them
09 TL-below sales goals (which I predicted)
Their bread and butter is the TL and MDX. The MDX has gotten pounded in recent months. The 08 TL was still selling at an AMAZING pace for an 5 year old design. Now Acura has a FWD AND AWD TL that won't sell as well as the old one with the same sales goals.

There is really nothing to refute here, sorry.

If anything don't get mad at me. Get mad at arrogant Acura execs who just publically stated they are laughing at their sheep b/c they "threaten" to leave the brand and stay. Shouldn't you be up in arms about that?

Last edited by LexFather; 01-23-09 at 08:11 PM.

Old 01-23-09, 08:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gshb
how can people watch top gear and enjoy it so much and then say ttac is a load of bull? both are for entertainment, yet people cling to everything top gear says about every car. besides, ttac loves infiniti/nissan/mazda so its not just all german stuff oh yah and the ISF got 5 stars...
Bingo. Hey lets play with Clarkson's ***** but not TTAC. Both are entertaining and you take it for what its worth. Its not like TTAC is the only review around. I have ALWAYS stated if you don't check the car out personally then you owe it to yourself to read AS MANY REVIEWS AS POSSIBLE so you can come to a fair conclusion.

The reviews for the TL all seem to be the same. Its ugly, it has nice tech, features, the steering is not as good and overall, it slower than the competition, the SH-AWD is okay, it doesn't really move anyone. Its perfectly competent, which is fine.

It just happens to be wrapped in a design that will turn you to stone if you look at it for more than 3 seconds.

Old 01-24-09, 01:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I said I will try not to throw up when I do test drive it. Having recently tested a V-6 Accord and being impressed by it, I just don't see the TL being that much better.

I don't mean to be insulting but I can beat that entire post with one sentence with two words.

SALES GOALS

Acura has publically stated they want to sell 70k new TLs. Well they are selling about 3500-4000 a month WITH new 08s on the lot. Do the math. Thats a little over 1/2 of their sales goal.

Not ONE of those cars has sales goals at 70k a year. Also they are much more expensive or more expensive than the TL.

Complete apples to oranges here. I am sorry but you haven't proven anything other than proving me right.

Acura has said they want to sell 70k TLs a year. Since its debut its not going to be close to reaching that number. They will need to sell 6,000 TLs a month.

The one car you can compare it to is the ES 350, since I believe Lexus also aimed to sell 70k ES 350s the first 2 or 3 years.
The question is, is when were these sales goals made? This is the worse car sales climate in over 25 years and is only a recent event. There's no way in hell that Acura could sell 70K a year even if the new TL was loved by everyone. The Lexus ES, the 3rd best selling car in the segment, didn't even move that many in '08 (64,135) and the first three quarters were a good market. The C-Class, the 2nd best selling in the segment, sold 72,471 in '08.

You HAVE to look at all sales of the cars in competing segments to determine what success is, not what an automakers original sales plan is because the market constantly changes and this economy is unprecedented.

The other issue you are ignoring is everyone else's sales goals. NO ONE is meeting original sales plans. The whole industry went down around 35% overnight. So is everything else a failure? It is by your definition.

You seem to be expecting Acura alone to be completely resistant to this financial meltdown. And please don't say that it's not relevant.

I don't mean to beat this issue into the ground but we need to make clear what is actually going on.

Quick Reply: TAC Acura TL review. 1 out of 5 stars.