Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TAC Acura TL review. 1 out of 5 stars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 06:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
.... (fyi no one is going to buy a 40k TL)
Most TL's sell at $38-$43K. Few buy the base model. Most of our sales are FWD Tech's and AWD-Tech's.

Mike, you can't continue putting opinion over real numbers.

Your reasoning suggests that NO ONE buys......

Lexus IS
Lexus GS
Infiniti M
Infiniti G
Lincoln MKS
Lincoln MKZ
MB E-class
BMW 5-series
Caddy CTS
Audi A4
Audi A6

The TL is a legitimate $40K LUXURY car that sells as well or better than all the above competition.

Basic math.
Old 01-25-09, 08:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Most TL's sell at $38-$43K. Few buy the base model. Most of our sales are FWD Tech's and AWD-Tech's.

Mike, you can't continue putting opinion over real numbers.

Your reasoning suggests that NO ONE buys......

Lexus IS
Lexus GS
Infiniti M
Infiniti G
Lincoln MKS
Lincoln MKZ
MB E-class
BMW 5-series
Caddy CTS
Audi A4
Audi A6

The TL is a legitimate $40K LUXURY car that sells as well or better than all the above competition.

Basic math.
You have no data to say most are sold at the price you stated. So don't state it. The TL IS NOT a legitimate 40k luxury car, where do you get this from? Acura themselves stated 80% sold will be FWD models and 20% SH-AWD. You need to read up on your own brand b/c you are getting eaten alive out here.

Stop mentioning other cars especially cars a class above it that will sell in smaller quantities. Though Amazingly the new Tl sucks so bad, the MUCH MORE expensive 5 series and E-class outsell it and will continue to do so.

Originally Posted by leedogg
Wow, I'm surprised the TL is selling that well in spite of the controversial design. Especially over the IS. I dont care what their goal may have been, the scoreboard is still the scoreboard.
I think you and JLSC4 need to take a business course. The IS sales goal was 44k when it debuted. They sold 60k. They continue to sell around 60k for 3 years now with not much drop off from previous years. Lexus doesn't have the production capacity to build more here.

The TL sales goal has been 70k for at least 5 years now.

Taking your philosophy "the scoreboard is the scoreboard" would mean Acura is in the development league, not the real game.

You want to compare sales goals, again READ what I wrote. The ES/TL sales goals have been the same for years. The ES/TL have swapped best selling in class the last 5 years or so.

Old 01-25-09, 09:14 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

You have no data to say most are sold at the price you stated. So don't state it. The TL IS NOT a legitimate 40k luxury car, where do you get this from? Acura themselves stated 80% sold will be FWD models and 20% SH-AWD. You need to read up on your own brand b/c you are getting eaten alive out here.

Stop mentioning other cars especially cars a class above it that will sell in smaller quantities. Though Amazingly the new Tl sucks so bad, the MUCH MORE expensive 5 series and E-class outsell it and will continue to do so.

I think you and JLSC4 need to take a business course. The IS sales goal was 44k when it debuted. They sold 60k. They continue to sell around 60k for 3 years now with not much drop off from previous years. Lexus doesn't have the production capacity to build more here.

Taking your philosophy "the scoreboard is the scoreboard" would mean Acura is in the development league, not the real game.

You want to compare sales goals, again READ what I wrote. The ES/TL sales goals have been the same for years. The ES/TL have swapped best selling in class the last 5 years or so.

I could really care less how much they say they want to sell. I'm sure they all want to sell thousands and live in happy land. Numbers of vehicles sold is a quantifiable fact, and like I said, it impressed me that it outsold the IS. Are you actually trying to argue based off acura having loftier goals than others?
Old 01-25-09, 09:35 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have NO idea how that got passed any design committe. Everyone who signed off on the design should be fired, put in a box, and shipped to the North Pole. I would say Gitmo Bay but they are about to close that.

Tru dat, mang!
Old 01-25-09, 09:51 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, I guess we'll have to agree that we look at success very differently.

I simply do not care what sales goals are or were when the auto industry is hanging on by a thread. If you look at sales goals only, then everyone is failing.

I mention two classes of cars because the TL kind of plays in the middle. That's just what Acura does. A 5-series starts only $3K higher than a TL-awd tech so the comparison isn't absurd.

Can you look up the sales goals for every competitor if you think they're so important? We're so focused on the TL not meeting original goals but what about everyone else? I can assure you that nobody is meeting them.
Old 01-25-09, 10:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This is an interesting debate. It's hard to disagree with the actual sales numbers, especially with the current situation in the auto industry. Any sale is a good one right now.
Old 01-25-09, 10:36 AM
LexFather

I could really care less how much they say they want to sell. I'm sure they all want to sell thousands and live in happy land. Numbers of vehicles sold is a quantifiable fact, and like I said, it impressed me that it outsold the IS. Are you actually trying to argue based off acura having loftier goals than others?
Let me talk to you slowly since I am trying to help you understand how the business works. There is a mixture of reasons why a company sets a sales goal. One major reason is PRODUCTION CAPACITY. Lexus does not have the additional production capacity to build more IS's for America and its sold worldwide as well.

Another reason is Lexus has 2 vehicles in this segment, the ES and IS. The ES continues to be the volume leader. The IS is a lot smaller with interior room in comparison to the ES or TL.

Another reason is price. The IS is the more expensive car. It starts at 32k up to nearly 55k with F-sport parts. Add the IS-F and it gets to nearly 65k.

Again, when you want to compare TL sales to a Lexus, the ES is the choice as the ES has the same sales goals. The TL and ES have gone back and forth as the #1 seller for years now.

Saying you are impressed the TL outsells the IS is like saying "I'm impressed the Accord outsells the 911". Both cars have different sales goals.

Now if the IS had a sales goal of 70k in America like the TL and the TL beat it, then we can say "the TL is the better selling vehicle".

On the contrary lets look at RL sales for the first year. Acura wanted to sell 20k. they sold 16k its first year. The LS in its first year was expected to sell 25k and they sold I believe around 32k. So yes the LS (a much much more expensive car) outsold the RL but both have different sales goals so saying "the LS outsells the RL" is only about bragging rights.

Old 01-25-09, 11:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

So the Ford F-series was down 25% in 2008 from 2007 clearly not meeting "sales goals" for the year even with the newly redesigned model making up some sales. Nevertheless, Ford moved 515,513 (690,589 in '07) units still making it the best selling vehicle on planet earth.

Mike, by your definition, the F-series is a failure. After all, it missed goals by a couple hundred thousand units (more than most vehicles sell total). But wait, it's still the most successful vehicle in the world!

Am I starting to get to you SICK?
Old 01-25-09, 12:19 PM
LexFather

So the Ford F-series was down 25% in 2008 from 2007 clearly not meeting "sales goals" for the year even with the newly redesigned model making up some sales. Nevertheless, Ford moved 515,513 (690,589 in '07) units still making it the best selling vehicle on planet earth.

Mike, by your definition, the F-series is a failure. After all, it missed goals by a couple hundred thousand units (more than most vehicles sell total). But wait, it's still the most successful vehicle in the world!

Am I starting to get to you SICK?
Yup. Ever been in a sales meeting where a goal(s) was not met? Its not about excuses. You either meet, exceed or don't meet the goal. Are there outside factors with the current climate? Yup. However AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN, Acura sales are down 3 years in a row. So only a foolish Acura executive will blame the economic climate NOW when their sales were down when times were GOOD.

2008 144,504
2007 180,104
2006 201,223
2005 209,610

Year-end Acura sales of 209,610 units, up 5.7 percent, shattered the previous annual sales record of 198,919 set in 2004, making 2005 the best year in Acura's sales history.

Instead of bishing with me, maybe you need to read this thread and go write a letter or slap your Acura executives who clearly are clueless and now show complete arrogance to their loyal Acura fans. I'm not the problem, Acura is their own problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...says-exec.html

This is VERY alarming.

Mendel is quick to say he doesn’t discount the opinions of some of Acura’s most fervent fans. But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on.
The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says

He is saying to you and Acura buyers we laugh at your threats,we know you will buy our product because you buy Acuras period.

Utterly and completely pathetic.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-25-09 at 12:26 PM.

Old 01-25-09, 02:20 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Let me talk to you slowly since I am trying to help you understand how the business works. There is a mixture of reasons why a company sets a sales goal. One major reason is PRODUCTION CAPACITY. Lexus does not have the additional production capacity to build more IS's for America and its sold worldwide as well.

Another reason is Lexus has 2 vehicles in this segment, the ES and IS. The ES continues to be the volume leader. The IS is a lot smaller with interior room in comparison to the ES or TL.

Another reason is price. The IS is the more expensive car. It starts at 32k up to nearly 55k with F-sport parts. Add the IS-F and it gets to nearly 65k.

Again, when you want to compare TL sales to a Lexus, the ES is the choice as the ES has the same sales goals. The TL and ES have gone back and forth as the #1 seller for years now.

Saying you are impressed the TL outsells the IS is like saying "I'm impressed the Accord outsells the 911". Both cars have different sales goals.

Now if the IS had a sales goal of 70k in America like the TL and the TL beat it, then we can say "the TL is the better selling vehicle".

On the contrary lets look at RL sales for the first year. Acura wanted to sell 20k. they sold 16k its first year. The LS in its first year was expected to sell 25k and they sold I believe around 32k. So yes the LS (a much much more expensive car) outsold the RL but both have different sales goals so saying "the LS outsells the RL" is only about bragging rights.
I'll put it to you simply as well, and I cant believe I need to spell it out. As ugly as I think the TL is, I'm surprised that it actually sold so well. It's that simple, why cant you get that simple point? I would expect you to agree 200 goddamn percent.

Were not comparing 911 to an accord either, these are cars in the relatively same market segment targeting the same audience - luxury upscale sport sedans. But you can dice it anyway you want so that it makes you feel better.
Old 01-25-09, 02:59 PM
LexFather

I'll put it to you simply as well, and I cant believe I need to spell it out. As ugly as I think the TL is, I'm surprised that it actually sold so well. It's that simple, why cant you get that simple point? I would expect you to agree 200 goddamn percent.

Were not comparing 911 to an accord either, these are cars in the relatively same market segment targeting the same audience - luxury upscale sport sedans. But you can dice it anyway you want so that it makes you feel better.
There is no point to get as you don't offer one and you and JSC don't post one link or anything factual, just a bunch of banter. We don't even know how many of the 09 Tls are sold b/c 08s are on lots. We had a thread showing 08s were one of the 10 discounted cars around. The figures are a mix of 09s and leftover 08s. The fact is sales are down 40%. The TL sold EASILY in excess of 5000-7000 units a month. The TL is BRAND SPANKING new in comparison to anything else in this class, you would THINK it sells better but it is not. Yall bring up and IS that has lower sales goals, its 3 years older. lol

There is nothing to dice, its not selling well and it will only sell worse as the competition brings updates and new vehicles out. The TL styling will only age poorly as its done so bad. Their only saving grace might be 0% financing or some $349 lease deals to help push the car. Here I am (again) the only one posting facts to back up claims.
December 08
Entry-Level
1. 3 - 8,490
2. C - 6,090
3. ES - 5,236
4. G - 4,982
5. A4/5 - 4,511
6. CTS - 4,396
7. TL - 3,607
8. IS - 3,539
9. MKZ - 2,089
10. 9-3 - 684
11. S60 - 266
November 08

(funny I see now JLSC4 doesn't understand sales goals b/c I told him the same damn there here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-thread-5.html)

Entry-Level
1. 3 - 6,645
2. G35/37 - 4,457
3. C - 4,422
4. ES - 4,116
5. A4/5 - 3,873
6. TL - 3,160
7. CTS - 2,902
8. IS - 2,749
9. MKZ - 1,805
10. 9-3 - 606
11. S60 - 431

October 08
1. 3 - 9,059
2. A4/5 - 4,649
3. C - 4,594
4. TL - 4,340
5. ES - 4,141
6. CTS - 3,997
7. G35/37 - 3,637
8. IS - 2,772
9. MKZ - 1,309
10. 9-3 - 1,471
11. S60 - 612
September 08
Entry-Level
1. C - 6,772
2. 3 - 6,303
3. CTS - 4,360
4. A4/5 - 4,214
5. ES - 4,042
6. G35/37 - 3,797
7. IS - 3,044
8. TL - 3,017
9. MKZ - 1,578
10. 9-3 - 1,281
11. S60 - 470

Now, again, why are so pissed at me? I'm not making the decisions for Acura. Do you like getting pissed on? B/C Acura is pissing on you looking at WHAT THEY SAID No response huh?

Mendel is quick to say he doesn’t discount the opinions of some of Acura’s most fervent fans. But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on.
The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says

Old 01-25-09, 04:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

There haven't been '08's on the lots for months. I also deal with dealer swaps/locates and know this.

But anyway, I'm exiting this Acura hater thread as it is the 6 millionth one on CL this year. I've been insulted one to many times.

Bye.
Old 01-25-09, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There haven't been '08's on the lots for months. I also deal with dealer swaps/locates and know this.

But anyway, I'm exiting this Acura hater thread as it is the 6 millionth one on CL this year. I've been insulted one to many times.

Bye.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but don't include me as an "Acura-Hater". There are some things about them I don't like (like the ridiculous new grilles), but that is the case with any vehicle. If I was to buy a new vehicle today, Honda/Acura would be among the top five companies I'd consider....along with Subaru, Toyota/Lexus, and even a couple of new models from Ford and GM.
Old 01-25-09, 05:12 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy TAC reviews since they say some things that are just too off the cuff and honest for most other editorials.

But with that said I never go by their 'star' ratings or rankings... instead I just try to learn something new from the facts presented and opinions stated. The ratings themselves are way too inconsistent... sometimes they even test the same car twice and rate them wildly opposite of each other.

Yes they usually have an explanation, but I think the real reason is their reviews are more emotional than objective.
Old 01-25-09, 05:20 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it varies from state to state, but my friend actually just bought a leftover 08 TL a couple of month ago, so I know they still exist. He got it at a crazy steep discount. Take it for whatever it's worth, but I've also seen an influx of 08 TL-S around town lately, all brand new with no plates, so it looks like they are trying to get rid of them quickly. I personally love the previous gen TL design, but a lot of people including my Acura owner friends are a bit frustrated at the new TSX/TL designs.

Bye.
Yea, I feel ya, might as well just jump on the bandwagon into the countless Hyundai/Kia lover threads currently on car chat. We're going to turn from Club Lexus to Club Hyundai pretty soon. ha ha

Quick Reply: TAC Acura TL review. 1 out of 5 stars.