Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why so much hate for the SC 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 09:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
The SC430 was doom from the very begin. It's too many other cars too purchase for the asking price.
You are totally wrong that the SC430 was doomed from the very beginning, it actually sold very well, i.e. beyond their own sales target for the first two years, and on target the next 2-3 years after.

It's sales figures had been posted here before, just search.
The reason the model's sales has dropped rapidly the last couple years is because Lexus never bothered to do much upgrade to the car during facelift, whereas the competitors did.

BTW, the lack of a V6 apparently have no significant effect on the SC430's sales, as it sold as well as the first generation SC despite having more competitors, plus a much more expensive average price tag than the first generation.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-26-09 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-26-09, 09:58 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was simply responding to a post that said that there were virtually no mid-size six-cylinder coupes. And the V6 SC we are discussing, unlike the SC430, would not be competing directly against the vehicles you state.

Look how well the first-generation SC300 sold. There is little or no reason to think that a successor version would not also sell, especially considering how expensive the SC430 is. The only thing that would (or could?) keep the sales back is one of the same thing that work against more SC430 sales....the fact that a lot of people (me included) don't think that the second-generation car looks as good as the first, though it does have a superb interior.

So, Henry, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the Lexus motive of keeping the car "exclusive" (that's more or less obvious), but simply the fact that keeping the car that "exclusive" to start with was probably an error. It has cost them sales (the average new car buyer doesn't have 60-70K for a new SC430).....and sales are what Lexus, and many other companies need right now.
I agree with you mmarshall. Look at the mid-level sedans such as the GS and 5 Series. I'm sure the GS 350 sells more in quantity than the GS 460.
I'm also sure the BMW 528 and 535 sells more in quantity than the 550.

As some have stated Lexus has definitely kept the SC 430 very exclusive. That's great, at least there's not thousands of SC's running around...
Old 01-26-09, 10:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is no doubt a v6 part will sell more, that's no rocket science about it at all. but my point is the sc430 isn't a car that they care as much about volume. look at the cls550 (half coupe?), 650, sl550, cl550, you don't see their v6 part, at least here in the states. i am sure if they have 6 cylinders in those models, they will sell a lot more too
Old 01-26-09, 10:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The incremental sales in the US of these high-end sporty cars with V6's is hardly worth the trouble to Lexus and Mercedes.
Old 01-26-09, 10:24 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to bookmark and reply later, at greater length.

I hated the SC430 when it debuted in 01 as a 02 model. I thought it was a total let down, from the classic lines of the SC3/400.

However when I saw the car with a Autocouture Kit and wheels, along with coilover lowering, I changed my mind!

The SC is not a bad car, as long as your in it for the right reasons. With the prices that 02's are going for now, the car is a absolute steal when you consider its engineering, beautiful interior and folding hardtop.
Old 01-26-09, 12:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

didn't know about this color- looks pretty sweet.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=25&cardist=62
Old 01-26-09, 12:58 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus had it right w/ the 1SC formula [long hood+ smooth lines+ good looks= win. Just needed a vert. look how the 6 series compares in proportions. The 430 looks like a bath tub w/ wheels in shape

Old 01-26-09, 03:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't know about this color- looks pretty sweet.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=25&cardist=62
If YOU like it that is For those who don't, I've heard it called "turd brown"
As for me, I think it's cool and don't mind it, though I probably won't pick it myself
Old 01-26-09, 04:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
If YOU like it that is For those who don't, I've heard it called "turd brown"
As for me, I think it's cool and don't mind it, though I probably won't pick it myself
Yes, 'turd brown' , the color is making a comeback, but no thanks.
Old 01-26-09, 04:14 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should do a SC-F model and offer a stick, BMW offers sticks in all their sporty cars.
Old 01-26-09, 04:19 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by toy4two
They should do a SC-F model and offer a stick, BMW offers sticks in all their sporty cars.
Actually originally the M6 wasn't offered in a manual at all until owners begged and complained to add a manual transmission.
Old 01-26-09, 04:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You are totally wrong that the SC430 was doomed from the very beginning, it actually sold very well, i.e. beyond their own sales target for the first two years, and on target the next 2-3 years after.

It's sales figures had been posted here before, just search.
The reason the model's sales has dropped rapidly the last couple years is because Lexus never bothered to do much upgrade to the car during facelift, whereas the competitors did.

BTW, the lack of a V6 apparently have no significant effect on the SC430's sales, as it sold as well as the first generation SC despite having more competitors, plus a much more expensive average price tag than the first generation.
This is correct (sales). The SC sold over 3,000 copies BEFORE they hit the dealer. As soon as the car was shown at car shows, people wrote checks.

It is a limited production model. 12k the first year, 10k the next 5 years I believe. They sold out until recently.

Old 01-26-09, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, 'turd brown' , the color is making a comeback, but no thanks.
Well, at least it's something different. I get so tired, when I review vehicles, of looking at the color chips for the paint and seeing the same stuff, car after car. It's almost always the same 6 or 7 colors.......blue, dark red/burgandy, white, silver, gray, and black.

Interiors are more or less the same way. It's usually beige/tan, gray, or black.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 06:51 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The "turd brown" is TigerEye and, it does look like poop in pictures. It's one of those colors you have to see in person to appreciate. I REALLY like it.
Old 01-27-09, 07:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I agree it looks better in person. There's one in my neighboorhood that I occasionally see.

Quick Reply: Why so much hate for the SC 430?