Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia aims to abandon budget image

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 12:52 PM
Epik151
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
I wonder why would they sell such crappy cars then? If they're so rich or whatever.

the Hyundai Matrix looks like it's from the 80's

And a couple of years ago I sat in some Hyundais at some Auto Show and they all looked the same inside and had a really strong weird smell so pretty much I ended up with a headache.
Yeah when Hyundai first started, making the "best" cars wasn't their gameplan. But in the late 90's or early 2000's they fired all the bean-counting execs and put an engineer in charge and made the decision to build cars they could be proud of.

Sure they sell plenty of boring reliable cars but the success of those sales will allow Hyundai to be able to venture into performance territory like they're starting to with the Genesis Coupe.

Hyundai/Kia's lack of prestige is great for those of us who couldn't care less about brand image. We get to pick up a solid 300hp RWD track toy for about 20k
Old 01-24-09, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Epik151
Yeah when Hyundai first started, making the "best" cars wasn't their gameplan.
When Hyundai first started in the U.S. market, making their own cars, period, wasn't in the gameplan. The first U.S.-market Hyundai Excel was a rebadged Mitsubishi Precis.

1992 Precis

1992 Excel
Old 01-24-09, 08:11 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Many don't know that Hyundai is the world's #1 shipbuilder: http://english.hhi.co.kr/Business/Shipbuilding.asp

Those take quite a bit of engineering. So yeah I think they're perfectly capable of making great cars.
I'm not an engineer or anything, but I don't think their ship engineers would be able to apply their knowledge to automobiles. I'm guessing that they'd have to hire an entirely new set of engineers for their auto division, in which case their ship building skills wouldn't apply. I don't know for sure though so I apologize if I'm wrong.

Also, according to Saab commercials, their vehicles are "born from jets" lol but their vehicles are still bleh as well, so....

Anyways, if Hyundai and Kia are expecting me to shell out extra cash for their "luxury" vehicles I expect them to shell out extra cash to create a separate luxury marque.
Old 01-24-09, 08:33 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
I do.

Hyundai is a huge freakin company. They make ships, oil tankers, buildings and apartments, even some electronic equipments such as LCD displays. They also did memory chips... Hyundai memory chips used on computers and other electronic equipments though Samsung is a tough competitor when it comes to memory chips... I just read the link you posted and holly molly they build Submarines too? I know Hyundai is a mega rich company. They've got money. I don't know about now but they used to build roads too.

Hyundai has full of potentials.

good info might want to invest in them with all this good stuff coming out of them
Old 01-24-09, 08:47 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Why would someone buy this over say a camry at 18K??
Old 01-24-09, 09:07 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Why would someone buy this over say a camry at 18K??
They wouldn't.

... unless you buy a Kia Sedona they will give you ANOTHER KIA for FREE!
Old 01-24-09, 09:19 PM
Epik151
Driver

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
Anyways, if Hyundai and Kia are expecting me to shell out extra cash for their "luxury" vehicles I expect them to shell out extra cash to create a separate luxury marque.
Creating a whole new network of dealerships is very expensive. I've heard it's in the billions and the automaker shouldn't plan on profiting until at least a decade later.

That would probably mean Hyundai/Kia would price the cars accordingly. So would you really want that? You could just buy a Lexus now . Or do you mean perhaps just a refreshening of the Hyundai badge, in which case I do agree with you and I think Hyundai is already setting that plan in motion. The new Genesis badges are on the KDM models and I hope we get them here in the states next year.
Old 01-24-09, 09:32 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Creating a whole new network of dealerships is very expensive. I've heard it's in the billions and the automaker shouldn't plan on profiting until at least a decade later.

That would probably mean Hyundai/Kia would price the cars accordingly. So would you really want that? You could just buy a Lexus now . Or do you mean perhaps just a refreshening of the Hyundai badge, in which case I do agree with you and I think Hyundai is already setting that plan in motion. The new Genesis badges are on the KDM models and I hope we get them here in the states next year.
We already have the Genesis in the states. I've seen a grand total of... ONE on the road.
Old 01-25-09, 01:16 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Understood, It's just that I kind of look at it as a rite of passage for Hyundai and a necessary display of dedication from them into the luxury market. So unless they go out of their way to do so, I really doubt they can ever be regarded as a luxury car maker and the best they can probably do is to be considered in the same regard as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan and not their luxury counterparts.

See the thing is if I want to buy a luxury product of any kind I'd be prepared to pay the premium and if I didn't then I probably wouldn't want or expect a luxury product in the first place. So if Hyundai/Kia created a separate luxury brand and priced their products accordingly, it would make a lot more sense to me as a consumer and allow them to be taken much more seriously by a wider range of people as opposed to selling budget vehicles to "luxury" vehicles all under the same brand.
Old 01-25-09, 10:17 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
We already have the Genesis in the states. I've seen a grand total of... ONE on the road.
It's because you live in Kentucky.

Go to any other major metropolis in the states and I guarantee you'll see more than 1 a day. I see ON AVERAGE 2 a day.
Old 01-25-09, 11:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tofu_house
It's because you live in Kentucky.

Go to any other major metropolis in the states and I guarantee you'll see more than 1 a day. I see ON AVERAGE 2 a day.
Correct. And Hyundais are especially popular on the East and West coasts. Kentucky is generally not representative of the kind of market where Hyundais and Kias sell well, except for the attractiveness of their relatively low prices.
Old 01-26-09, 12:08 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
ehh looks like a Civic.
Yea, I thought Acura at best.

And for the record I only ever see the super-econo-box Hyundais
Old 01-26-09, 12:19 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Not the most interesting car on the road, but should be fine for the market it is designated for.
Old 01-26-09, 12:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Yea, I thought Acura at best.

And for the record I only ever see the super-econo-box Hyundais
I see that you are in B.C. Isn't gas more expensive in Canada than in the U.S.? That may account for more smaller cars there.
Old 01-26-09, 02:03 PM
LexFather

Chrysler might replace Kia at this rate.

Quick Reply: Kia aims to abandon budget image