Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia aims to abandon budget image

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Post Kia aims to abandon budget image

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleId=60364

Kia next month launches its new Cerato sedan, a car it claims will change people's perception of the Korean company as a budget car brand.

Kia describes its new small sedan, the Cerato, as “a game-changer” that will bring buyers flocking to the budget Korean brand.

The Cerato, unveiled to media this week and introduced to Australian Open tennis fans via a saturation advertising campaign, replaces a namesake model that never gained traction in the hotly contested small car market dominated by the likes of the Mazda3 and the Toyota Corolla.

“It’s not just a new set of clothes, it’s a new design from the ground up,” says Kia Australia spokesman Jonathan Fletcher. “It’s a car that will be a true competitor for the class leaders. We really think it’s that good.”

Kia Australia’s marketing manager, Steve Watt, says the new Cerato heralds a “brand new era” for Kia.

“It’s what we call internally a ‘transformation vehicle’,” says Watt. “It’s going to shift the perception of Kia from being affordable transportation to being more appealing, technically advanced, fun to drive, performance, style, great features and still competitive prices.”

“We do have attributes, we do have features that have got the ‘majors’ out there very worried about what’s going on at Kia.”

Kia says it has dramatically overhauled the Cerato platform, imbuing it with more power, greater safety, better ride and handling, boosted environmental credentials and – crucially, at this end of the market – a lower starting price.

The Cerato is the first Kia to be released in Australia featuring the so-called “Schreyer line”, a grille design penned by global design chief Peter Schreyer that will become an integral feature of the company’s model range.

Schreyer joined the company from Volkswagen in 2006 and set out to develop a more contemporary look for the company. The Cerato is the first fully fledged example of his handiwork.

2009 Kia Cerato sedan2009 Kia Cerato sedan2009 Kia Cerato sedan2009 Kia Cerato sedan

The Cerato is officially classed as a small car but Kia says it will bridge the gap between the small and medium segments. It is longer and wider than its predecessor, with seating for five occupants and a larger boot. It will be available only as a four-door sedan, after Kia discontinued the choice of a five-door hatch.

Under the bonnet is a 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine with continuously variable valve timing (CVVT), which the company says delivers the pulling power and responsiveness of a 2.2-litre engine. It develops 115kW and 194Nm and can be mated to a five-speed manual or four-speed auto gearbox with a pseudo-manual tipshift function.

Fuel consumption is unchanged, at 7.8 litres/100km for the manual transmission or 7.9L/100km for the automatic.

Inside, every model gets front, side and curtain airbags as standard and an iPod-compatible audio system.
The Cerato comes in two models, the S and SLi. The $18,990 Cerato S is $500 cheaper than the model it replaces but you'll need to spend $1000 to get a pack that includes stability control, traction control, cruise control and remote audio controls – all standard on the SLi model.

The $22,990 SLi also gets 17-inch alloys, fog lamps, climate control air-conditioning, leather-wrap steering wheel, rear parking sensors and chrome trim highlights. Kia also includes a five-year, unlimited kilometre warranty.

The Kia Cerato goes on sale in Australia in early February

Old 01-23-09, 03:17 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks nice enough
Old 01-23-09, 03:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the US, I didn't know they had an image.
Old 01-23-09, 04:27 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

how does this car brush off the budget image??? am i missing something?
Old 01-23-09, 05:00 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^That's what I'm thinking.....its a start for Kia but honestly the styling is very bland.
Old 01-23-09, 05:19 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

ehh looks like a Civic.
Old 01-23-09, 06:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like hyaundai
Old 01-23-09, 11:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford Focus?

I think Kia/Hyundai are moving way too fast with their "image change"

From a few years ago with nothing but just your budget car, to now a $40,000 Sedan along with coupe... The problem is that people have yet to see the transition. They think.... $40,000 Hyundai? WTF?
Old 01-24-09, 12:14 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
ehh looks like a Civic.
They really succeeded with a budget look, but i am sure this civic/focus rims look a like will make people forget about Hyundai.(sarcasm)Ohh 20 grand with chrome accents that's a nice feature to have.(sarcasm)
I seriously don't see one reason for me to chose this over a civic which I could buy one 18 grand brand new.
"We do have attributes, we do have features that have got the ‘majors’ out there very worried about what’s going on at Kia.” LAWL chrome accents FTW?
"Kia describes its new small sedan, the Cerato, as “a game-changer” that will bring buyers flocking to the budget Korean brand." I'm sure... Oh it has allot of stability controls that's nice i guess. Last time i checked i had no use for Trac control in a 1## horse power beast, when i drive my civic i leave tire marks at every light.

Last edited by Oleg400; 01-24-09 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-24-09, 07:24 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a your usual Korean car a mix of many different cars. It doesn't impress me too much. I think I would still take a Corolla or Civic in that range.
Old 01-24-09, 08:02 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

front screams civic but screams gs?
Old 01-24-09, 09:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Just like acura being tier 1

oh, forgot, *cough* civic ripoff *cough*
Old 01-24-09, 10:05 AM
Epik151
Driver

Looks pretty good. Hyundai/Kia are on a serious and are putting hundreds of millions into R&D and quality control into each of their newer halo vehicles. Hyundai is one of the few companies that are able to do this, they've got a very sound financial foundation.

Many don't know that Hyundai is the world's #1 shipbuilder: http://english.hhi.co.kr/Business/Shipbuilding.asp

Those take quite a bit of engineering. So yeah I think they're perfectly capable of making great cars.
Old 01-24-09, 11:09 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meowCat
I do.

Hyundai is a huge freakin company. They make ships, oil tankers, buildings and apartments, even some electronic equipments such as LCD displays. They also did memory chips... Hyundai memory chips used on computers and other electronic equipments though Samsung is a tough competitor when it comes to memory chips... I just read the link you posted and holly molly they build Submarines too? I know Hyundai is a mega rich company. They've got money. I don't know about now but they used to build roads too.

Hyundai has full of potentials.

I wonder why would they sell such crappy cars then? If they're so rich or whatever.

the Hyundai Matrix looks like it's from the 80's

And a couple of years ago I sat in some Hyundais at some Auto Show and they all looked the same inside and had a really strong weird smell so pretty much I ended up with a headache.

Last edited by lex; 01-24-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-24-09, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We have to be sure we're not putting the cart before the horse.

Kia already HAS gotten out of the "budget" image....and done do quite well. It's now time for the PUBLIC to open their eyes, see what the company has done, and follow accordingly.

That has been one of the major problems in the auto industry. The public is often (and usually) way behind the companies themselves. We have seen this in a number of ways.....the slowness of the public to change their perception of Hyundai/Kia, even wth the far better products they produce today, is a good example. Another good example was the unwillingness of the public to stop buying Mercedes products, even when they sank to the bottom of the quality/reliability ratings starting in the late 90s....the public's mind was still living on in the glory days of Mercedes in the 70s and 80s when they built some of the best cars in the world.

Back in the 1960's, we saw that with Chrysler. In the early-to-mid-60's, they built durable cars (though with lousy brakes) that the public came to respect, along with the industry's first 5/50 drivetrain warranty. Chrysler's overall quality tanked seriously in the late 60's and early 70s, but the public kept on living in the past (one of them was my own father). Chrysler, despite inventing the minivan, has done few really good products since then. A number of their products are so cheaply and poorly-built that I don't know how they sell at all....but they do.

Quick Reply: Kia aims to abandon budget image