Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford stock

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 11:41 AM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford stock

I'm thinking of buying some Ford stocks. Does not look like they'll go bankrupt, they have some nice cars coming reportedly, like the new fusion, taurus, electric and plug in hybrids by 2011-2012, the ecoboost engine.

Their stock right now is $1.80 a piece. I'm betting it will be ten times that within a decade. You guys think its worth a shot?

Should I wait longer? GM reportedly will run out of money soon (again). How would that impact Ford?

When does the new Fusion come out?
Old 01-24-09, 04:30 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

My Ford bond has dropped 52% in the last 3 years but they've been making their semi annual interest payments so close to even. Given the turmoil in the market that's not bad. Certainly Ford is the strongest of the big 3 at this point.
Old 01-24-09, 04:50 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Investment question. You need to ask yourself a lot of questions getting into the market now. And not just when you might need the money and your investment goals but how comfortable with watching a ten or twenty percent drop from the price right now? There's a reason why F is at 1.80. You know the reason why people are looking at buying into it and you know the reasons you would want to stay away from it. Unless someone here has inside info, and the SEC will eventually want to talk to you, you know as much as anybody here.

Getting into F right now is betting on the total sales volume for this year, whether they will stay away from needing bailout money, and if they do, what the strings will be around them getting it. That last issue is a biggie. Everyone is assuming that F is the best of the three and my opinion is that they have priced in F not needing any bailout funds but if they do wind up asking for bailout money, that 1.80 price is going to look pretty rich.
Old 01-24-09, 05:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Investment no, speculative stock yes.
Old 01-24-09, 08:32 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

i have 3k in them i bought them when they were around 6.80
Old 01-24-09, 11:23 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Ford is a good stock for a quick buck but not a long term hold, buy it under 2 dollars and sell when it clears 3, the market is still too unstable right now for anything long term.
Old 01-24-09, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldnt touch it. wait a little more to see what exactly is going to happen to GM
Old 01-25-09, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

unfortunately, ford will be dragged down with the economy... i still think gm will go bankrupt (whether actually, or the equivalent just under some govt restructuring plan ) later this year.

b of a and citi, 2 companies on the dow, will continue to bring it down. they SUCK

but ford is doing a lot right...
Old 01-25-09, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i still think gm will go bankrupt (whether actually, or the equivalent just under some govt restructuring plan ) later this year.
I tend to agree, the best restructuring plan for GM involves some chapter of bankruptcy, so that the contracts with UAW, dealers, vendors (in order to eliminate Pontiac, Saturn, etc.) can be settled for pennies on the dollar.
Old 01-25-09, 03:43 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Indio
Ford is a good stock for a quick buck but not a long term hold, buy it under 2 dollars and sell when it clears 3, the market is still too unstable right now for anything long term.
2 dollars is too high. I'm waiting for it to fall under a dollar then I'm buying) It probably will fall under a buck when GM goes under, then its a great chance to step in because I'm sure a decade from now it will be worth 10-20 dollars, giving me profits of X10-X20. Ford is doing some good things, they won't go bankrupt and they'll have some nice cars on sale when the economy rebounds.
Old 01-25-09, 05:39 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I have been playing F and GM a lot over the years.

If you check out VSE, this months game is buy and hold and I shorted GM(all of my 10k to start with). I think I was in the top 40 of 1600 people as of Friday

Cannot tell you how to play it other then you really need to do your research, understand the best play may not be a buy and hold, consider shorting when needed and most of all, you could lose it all.

I won on F many times as I have bought considering to keep it long when it just goes up real quick WITHOUT reason, so I sell it and sit back even if I wanted to long it.

Add it to a watch page and watch what it does everyday than after a while consider making a move
Old 01-26-09, 12:39 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ren495
2 dollars is too high. I'm waiting for it to fall under a dollar then I'm buying) It probably will fall under a buck when GM goes under, then its a great chance to step in because I'm sure a decade from now it will be worth 10-20 dollars, giving me profits of X10-X20. Ford is doing some good things, they won't go bankrupt and they'll have some nice cars on sale when the economy rebounds.

UNDER 2 dollars was the trigger, the problem with your strategy is that if GM goes into chapter 11 Ford is going with them because of shared part suppliers, the gains you speak of over a decade can be had in the course of a year or two if you buy and sell at the right time.