Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

FD RX7 reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 12:01 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head on over to www.rx7club.com to get some 411. There's definitely a lot of misinformation in this thread.
Old 01-25-09, 01:33 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nah this thread is pretty spot-on. There are some serious idiots over at rx7club. They are big rotary enthusiasts and will lie to you and tell you that rotaries are reliable if properly taken care of.

I have several friends who used to tell me the same thing about their cars. They were very meticulous about their FDs and FCs. They STILL blew their motors, several times.

Unless you just REALLY enjoy the car, I wouldnt bother unless you're doing an LS1 swap. With big turbos and everything, the rotary can make decent power; but not even in the same order of magnitude as an LS1 or 2jz motor; and not even a minuscule fraction of the reliability. And NEVER EVER EVER get one for a daily driver.
Old 01-25-09, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Is that serious?
No, as you indicate, repairing small body dents fron the lightweight construction is not necessarily a big deal, but having to repair or replace bent or broken suspension/steering parts from impacts on rough roads or potholes is quite another matter. Mazda went all-out in the design of the last-generation twin-turbo RX-7 to save weight....and it showed. The immediate benefit, of course, was superlative sports-car handling, but the downside was a lack of durability.
Old 01-25-09, 10:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikez
Is that serious?
It's true, but not that serious or that expensive.
Old 01-26-09, 03:09 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i know is that the factory turbos need rebuilds but most people end up replacing them

RX-7's and RX-8's are pretty unreliable.

a friend of mine had an 8 and for the 24 months he'd owned it, it was back at the dealership 24 times for various things.

another 8, battery termials went, steering went out, etc etc.

and yet another 8 in the same group (I hang out with them on their tuesday night meets) has stalling issues and fogged up lights that turn into fish bowls (literally)

they love their cars and the brand but by golly they are sick of the issues.

everytime a 7, or an 8 doesn't show up we say, "where's so and so? I thought he was coming?"

"he blew up on the way here."
Old 01-26-09, 09:57 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

set aside funds to replace the engine every 50,000 miles, it may or may not go, but its good to have the $$$ if it does. Do all the reliability upgrades like radiator and intercooler. Always check the oil, pay close attention to the engine temp (replace the stock gauge with a real temp meter) and stay away from synthetic oil.
Old 01-26-09, 03:29 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I love this car, but this says it all..
Attached Thumbnails FD RX7 reliability?-rx-7_motivational_poster_mazda.jpg  
Old 01-26-09, 10:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

Back in the early days of TT Supras (when you could still buy them new) there were a few former FD owners who had nothing but trouble with their engines. Bryce in Houston went through three engines before he sold it (it was on its third warranty engine, just back from the dealership with the understanding he would not get another warranty replacement when he sold it). He did not abuse his car, and went on to build some of the fastest Supras in the early days (first to run a T-51 Kai).

Everybody loves driving the FD. Few have the patience and budget for keeping a rotary in one. Swap the LS-1 in there and you've got a REALLY fun weekend toy to drive.
Old 01-27-09, 06:44 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rotary engines have always had some issues. They have poor low-RPM torque, get poor gas mileage, use more oil on the average than conventional piston engines, have relatively weak apex-rotor seals (comparable to a conventional engine's piston rings), pollute a lot requiring a lot of emissions hardware, and, on carburated versions, sometimes have flooding issues on cold starts, creating big clouds of smoke. Parts for them can also be expensive because there relatively few places to get them. But they are small, light, help the car have ideal weight distribution and a low center of gravity for good handling, and rev almost as smoothly as an electric motor; virtually vibration-free.

Aside from that, later models of the RX-7 (the early 90's twin-turbo version) were very lightly constructed, with a lot of thin aluminum parts. They were known for being like a tin can, both in road noise because of lack of insulation and for bending and warping suspension/chassis parts on bumps and rough roads.
Good lord! That sounds like the anti-christ! LOL

They are sweet cars though...
Old 01-27-09, 08:24 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

I daily drove my FD for 2 years, through 2 Texas Summers, and never had any problems. I may not be the norm, but after installing the already mentioned "reliability mods", and upgrading the cooling system, my car ran great. I did take VERY good care of it, and only sold it once I started a family, which meant less free time to drive and maintain it. Original motor and turbos had almost 80k on them when I sold it, and an update from the new owner (he shipped it from TX to Vancouver!), said that the car is still going strong at almost 100k. New owner is not daily driving it, but has taken several long weekend trips.

If you are planning on owning an FD, make sure you have a reputable Rotary shop thoroughly check it. I was fortunate to have 3 such shops (at the time) very close to me, so I always fely secure knowing that if I did have any problems, getting good service at a reputable shop was not a problem.

I can say that nothing I have ever driven is as fun to drive as an FD

here is a picture of mine
Attached Thumbnails FD RX7 reliability?-driver-20side-20wheels-20turned-206-03.jpg  
Old 01-27-09, 09:56 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

sweet car dude.

i'd love to own one if i wasn't so lazy
Old 01-27-09, 10:44 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Damnit i really want one but either hear they have no problems or a ton.
Old 01-27-09, 02:20 PM
mrogersii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rotary engines have always had some issues. They have poor low-RPM torque, get poor gas mileage, use more oil on the average than conventional piston engines, have relatively weak apex-rotor seals (comparable to a conventional engine's piston rings), pollute a lot requiring a lot of emissions hardware, and, on carburated versions, sometimes have flooding issues on cold starts, creating big clouds of smoke. Parts for them can also be expensive because there relatively few places to get them. But they are small, light, help the car have ideal weight distribution and a low center of gravity for good handling, and rev almost as smoothly as an electric motor; virtually vibration-free.

Aside from that, later models of the RX-7 (the early 90's twin-turbo version) were very lightly constructed, with a lot of thin aluminum parts. They were known for being like a tin can, both in road noise because of lack of insulation and for bending and warping suspension/chassis parts on bumps and rough roads.
The late model RX7s (96-02) are simply amazing machines. There are negatives, such as the engines last only 100,000 miles, but the upside to them is simply amazing. Insofar as handling goes, they're sports cars not some luxury sedan...

From 1.5 liters you get stock 255bhp, but since it is a rotary engine it revs faster and redlines at 8,000 rpm. Do some simple modifications and you can take it up to 300bhp, where, due to the 2,300 pound weight of the car, you can hit 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and a top speed of 180mph.

For a few more dollars, still less than what you paid for your Lexus, you can increase the reliability of the Apex seals and literally shred asphalt and blow the doors off of some ***** in his Lexus that posts **** on his club web site that he knows nothing about and has preferred to hand his ***** over to wife because he’s afraid to drive a real sports car…douche bag.
Old 01-27-09, 02:30 PM
mrogersii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bighitbike
Damnit i really want one but either hear they have no problems or a ton.
Sell the wife and kid, get an RX7 with a tweaked engine and drive it like you stole it. They're simply amazing cars, but you have to take care of it. It's not a Lexus that you never have to open the hood on - you need to tune it once a year, change the oil every 3,000 miles like it is a religion. Do that, and it will last you beyond 100,000 miles as the key to the Apex seals is never let the car overheat or run it hot.

I’ve seen a ’96 RX7 with 5,600 miles on it for $23,000. Pure stock, mint condition.
Old 01-27-09, 03:41 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrogersii
The late model RX7s (96-02) are simply amazing machines. There are negatives, such as the engines last only 100,000 miles, but the upside to them is simply amazing. Insofar as handling goes, they're sports cars not some luxury sedan...

From 1.5 liters you get stock 255bhp, but since it is a rotary engine it revs faster and redlines at 8,000 rpm. Do some simple modifications and you can take it up to 300bhp, where, due to the 2,300 pound weight of the car, you can hit 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and a top speed of 180mph.

For a few more dollars, still less than what you paid for your Lexus, you can increase the reliability of the Apex seals and literally shred asphalt and blow the doors off of some ***** in his Lexus that posts **** on his club web site that he knows nothing about and has preferred to hand his ***** over to wife because he’s afraid to drive a real sports car…douche bag.
Calm down there son.

Quick Reply: FD RX7 reliability?