Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Paddle shifetrs VS 6 speed manual
paddle shifters
37.78%
6 speed
57.78%
don't really care because I don't race my car
4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Paddle shifters VS 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 01:07 AM
2JZ_Josh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paddle Shifters - The Boring Future. Its more practical.
Manual Trans- Fun Fun Time. 3 Pedals. I wont fall asleep at the wheel

lol
Old 01-28-09, 08:18 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

Depends on the car. Manual is the obvious choice when available, but some hard-core cars have great paddle shifted systems. The best paddle shifted cars I have driven are the Gallardo and the Ferrari 360 Challenge race-cars with the F1 paddle-shift system... Just perfect. Ironically, the street driven Ferrari's are better with the conventional manual transmission (for longevity of the clutch).
Old 01-28-09, 08:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i vote for PDK for all.

i hope all lexus cars have this option/standard in the near future.
Old 01-28-09, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffey454
Depends on the car. Manual is the obvious choice when available, but some hard-core cars have great paddle shifted systems.
It not only depends on the car, but the road and traffic conditions too. Conventional, clutch-operated manual transmissions can be a pain in the a** in urban and dense, stop-and-go traffic conditions. That is the main reason why they are on the way out...more and more areas are getting like that nowadays, even if that is not the case where you live in Canada.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 08:46 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It not only depends on the car, but the road and traffic conditions too. Conventional, clutch-operated manual transmissions can be a pain in the a** in urban and dense, stop-and-go traffic conditions. .
I actually don't mind driving in LA traffic with stick, I've been doing it ever since I started driving. I guess I'm not the norm.
Old 01-28-09, 10:34 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
BTW i hate how the is-f auto shifts for you and doesnt even allow you to get to the redline. Maybe their is a way to turn that off, but i didnt see it.
FYI - you were likely in auto mode when you tried to use the paddles to override. In manual mode it will hold the gear until you want to shift, and it will only downshift for you if it senses that the car is going to stall.

I can understand how some people believe that it's more fun and engaging to drive a true manual, but personally I've always found it to be a hassle rather than an enjoyment. And now that the performance of paddles/tip/auto matches or exceeds that of a manual, I don't really see a reason to go manual. It's more or less a matter of preference now.

In terms of not being able to skip gears during downshift, that may be a concern, but it doesn't happen too often and can be easily remedied by a few quick taps.
Old 01-28-09, 10:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut
FYI - you were likely in auto mode when you tried to use the paddles to override. In manual mode it will hold the gear until you want to shift, and it will only downshift for you if it senses that the car is going to stall.
It could also be that the car was still cold. The paddles are not even eligible for use until the oil temp gets up to a certain level. I had to confirm this with my Lexus tech, as I was getting po'd that I couldn't have fun on the on-ramp 2 blocks from my house.
Old 01-28-09, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This may sound kind of lame, but last time I was in LA I drove a 20 year old Honda Accord with a manual transmission and I have to admit I thought it was fun. I really enjoyed the drive and the car only had something like 110 hp .

The practical usage of the paddle shifters allows you to hold the wheel with both hands, but it gets kind of awkward when you are trying to shift coming out of a hard corner or turn that required you to turn the wheel that little extra bit that would require you to let go of the standard 10 and 2 position. I think in the end I prefer the middle. I guess this would mean the "tiptronic" or standard manual shift mode is the best imo. I have to say that imo to date the automatic transmission in the G sedan and coupe, with the Rev Match feature on down gearing, gives me the feeling of more control with the automatic than any other Japanese luxury brand. It even shifts when you tell it. Even if the shift point is not the optimum it will still shift. More control with no clutch.... not a bad compromise imo
Attached Thumbnails Paddle shifters VS 6 speed manual-image.aspx.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-28-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 10:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The practical usage of the paddle shifters allows you to hold the wheel with both hands, but it gets kind of awkward when you are trying to shift coming out of a hard corner or turn that required you to turn the wheel that little extra bit that would require you to let go of the standard 10 and 2 position.
Sorry, but that's not exactly true. If you are really going to push your car that hard and need to not be in a 10 -2 hand position, you can just as easily have your left hand on the wheel and your right hand shifting the gear shifter with your right....just like in a true manual....except the motion is straight up and down.
Old 01-28-09, 11:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sorry, but that's not exactly true. If you are really going to push your car that hard and need to not be in a 10 -2 hand position, you can just as easily have your left hand on the wheel and your right hand shifting the gear shifter with your right....just like in a true manual....except the motion is straight up and down.
I thought that was what I was trying to say. Maybe I didnt convey it properly, but I agree with you. I think the manual shift or tiptronic mode is the best. The paddle shifters is the way of the future it seems
Old 01-29-09, 12:23 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by primecut
In terms of not being able to skip gears during downshift, that may be a concern, but it doesn't happen too often and can be easily remedied by a few quick taps.
What do you mean it doesn't happen too often? At EVERY red light or anytime traffic slows down, you have to tap the gear shifter like 5 times to go down into the right. And everytime you tap it, the car feels awkward since your in a gear you shouldnt be in. Plus if the traffic picks up right after it slows down again, its all ackward shifting, Since you have to keep tapping the gear shifter. You have to look on the guage cluster to figure out what gear your in. Then if the traffic slows down again, you have to tap the shifter like 5 more times to go down.

To put it bluntly, the paddle shifters are litterly useless. Your better off leaving the car in automatic mode since it's ridiculously tedious to use the paddle shifters in daily driving. I guarantee, you use the full auto mode more then paddle shifter mode on your is-f.

Last edited by Ryeno; 01-29-09 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 05:26 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

not a fan of automatics with manual modes (eg is,g37,etc) cant comment on the ones with full lockup claiming really fast times.

but, between the best smgs,dsgs and 6mts, its a taste thing.

like flavors of ice cream.
Old 01-29-09, 06:40 AM
Koma

I think my biggest gripe about automatics is that they use a torque converter which loses more power than a manual transmission.
Old 01-29-09, 07:55 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you push start a car equipped w/ paddle shifters??? I'll take the the manual
Old 01-29-09, 10:12 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by suislide
Can you push start a car equipped w/ paddle shifters??? I'll take the the manual
I think that's a really moot point and I drive a manual as a DD.
If you're worried about push starting a car ever then you should just look at more reliable vehicles.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters VS 6 speed manual