Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM delays CTS Coupe until mid-2010, Chevrolet Cruze until 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 05:01 AM
LexFather

Post GM delays CTS Coupe until mid-2010, Chevrolet Cruze until 2011

http://www.motorauthority.com/gm-del...-cadillac.html
General Motors' Cadillac brand has long aspired to be 'The Standard of the World,' and for a period, it was. Over the last four decades, however, innovation, consistency and quality haven't been hallmarks of the brand. Now, as the auto industry faces some of its bleakest times ever, Cadillac is preparing a new model onslaught. Some delays will be unavoidable, though, and the greatly anticipated CTS Coupe is among them. Production of the CTS has been pushed back until the middle of 2010, which means it will now debut in the second half of next year, most likely as a 2011 model. The 2010 CTS wagon and all-new 2010 SRX crossover, however, will make their scheduled debuts in the middle of this year. Speaking with Automotive News, GM spokesperson Joanne Krell explained that a number of changes have been made to the company’s overall portfolio, with the key reason being the challenging economic conditions. The CTS Coupe isn’t the only important model that has been delayed. The Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan has reportedly been pushed back to a 2011 launch, and the same is true for the Camaro convertible. In addition to the product delays, GM confirmed today that it’s planning a number of production cuts and will eliminate about 400 dealerships a year until 2012. “We need to right-size our production with our sales and inventory. We’re going to take the appropriate actions that need to be taken,” the company’s North American vice president of Chevrolet, Ed Pepper, revealed today. A full announcement is expected later today

Old 08-06-09, 07:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CTS Coupe to go Onsale in May 2010

General Motors' Cadillac brand has long aspired to be 'The Standard of the World,' and for a period, it was. Over the last four decades, however, innovation, consistency and quality haven't been hallmarks of the brand. Now, as the auto industry faces some of its bleakest times ever, Cadillac is preparing a new model onslaught.

In the recent past we’ve seen the unveiling of the new 2010 SRX crossover as well as the 2010 CTS Sport Wagon, and by May next year the sporty CTS Coupe will arrive in showrooms – in both standard and high-performance CTS-V guises.

The information was revealed buy a GM spokesman who spoke recently with TheCarConnection. The spokesman said the two-door CTS would get the 2011 model year designation, and that it would share powertrains with the CTS Sedan and the Sport Wagon. The Coupe had been due for a release this summer, but GM's bankruptcy resulted in many product planning changes.

For 2010, the CTS lineup gets GM’s new 270 horsepower direct-injected V-6 as the new base powertrain option, while the former 3.6-liter unit is now optional.
No matter when it comes out, that thing is still but-*** ugly IMO.
Old 08-06-09, 07:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Its alright IMO. More like a hatchback than coupe. What Saab should not have stopped selling. It worked for them.

Crazy, I prefer the CTS wagon over anything in the Caddy line.
Old 08-06-09, 08:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. The shape is more hatchback than coupe, and I guess because of that it just looks sort of downmarket IMO. If the elongated the shape and made it less stubby they might have something.

I too love the CTS Sportwagon. If you haven't seen one in person, it looks even better than in pictures.
Old 08-06-09, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's okay, interesting Scirocco-like roofline. Cadillac's lineup needs help fast, CTS is really the only truly contemporary thing it's got going.
Old 08-06-09, 10:03 PM
LexFather

This coupe is doing nothing for me.

Old 08-06-09, 10:14 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the coupe, but by May 2010, I think the CTS should be almost up for redesign, so this coupe may never even make it out.
Old 08-07-09, 12:14 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO GM really needs the Cruze. It seems to have major potential.

The CTS Coupe, on the other hand, looks ugly, but if the CTS sedan had potential to win COTY awards, who knows...
Old 08-07-09, 12:46 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd rather have this...

Old 08-07-09, 12:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

No matter when it comes out, that thing is still but-*** ugly IMO.

good god....the back half of that thing looks hideous

they're trying to be innovative but end up looking foolish
Old 08-07-09, 12:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

this I like...

Old 08-07-09, 11:55 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

magazines have already done drive reviews of the Cruze and it's been delayed???
Old 08-08-09, 12:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

delaying the cruze is going to be anther GM folley. They cant get their **** together over there no matter what anyone or any president does
Old 08-08-09, 07:51 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
IMO GM really needs the Cruze. It seems to have major potential.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
delaying the cruze is going to be anther GM folley. They cant get their **** together over there no matter what anyone or any president does
This seems like a serious mistake on the part of GM. Ford is going to release their Fiesta in 2010 and steal all their thunder if it is 1/2 as good as the Euro verison.

Delaying the CTS coupe I get. This not so much.
Old 08-08-09, 10:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am amazed and almost angry for the americans who buy fords ( I would never) when I see the quality and read about the handling prowess of Fords European models. Why do they give the American consumers the crap. I think because the competiton from the other american car companies was also **** while in europe they are competing with the more refined euro manufacturers

Quick Reply: GM delays CTS Coupe until mid-2010, Chevrolet Cruze until 2011