Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 04:43 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting GS-esque grille on the Corolla
Old 01-29-09, 04:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Interesting GS-esque grille on the Corolla
oops, at first glance I thought it was a Kia....., my mistake.
Old 01-29-09, 09:35 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

My Mom has a Corolla and i've driven it a ouple of times. Personally, I think it looks too tall and narrow. Mechanically, I think they need to have at least a 5AT. 4 speeds in this day and age just don't fly.
Old 01-30-09, 07:46 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flipside909- oh, so no red even? Haha ok ok, well good thing is, the interior discussion yesterday involved “alpine blue” colored backlighting, the white-blue color, or a green color. And, quite frankly, the green colored one didn’t get a whole lot of positive feedback, so I think it’s leaning toward Alpine blue or that white-blue color.

Koma- Well..from what I’ve seen, the tC’s upcoming replacement will look nothing like the current tC we see today. I personally don’t like what the tC’s replacement looks like, but, the good thing is that we can then put more of the sporty four-door-coupe look into the Corolla so that the two will stand apart. I think the tC’s replacement will attract a whole different type of crowd. On a good note though, the tC’s replacement will have more HP than the current one and is supposed to be more performance driven than the current, however, I didn’t hear anything about 5spd vs 6spd =/ Also, when I say “Supposed to be more performance driven,” keep in mind the price must remain right at or under 20k.

I agree the MPG on the tC is nothing to get excited about- I had 2 myself =/

We are definitely trying to get “more value for your dollar” in the next Corolla, with more standard options and more technology. We have steered clear of tacked on lip kits to this point, so I don’t think that should be an issue. We haven’t really discussed different “Versions” of the Corolla yet, or what the “Sport package” could entail. But we’ll get there and I’ll keep this thread updated

As for a Supercharger…well…I honestly don’t see that happening. In a week, we will actually be discontinuing the TRD Supercharger for ALL Scion models. It’s not a money maker unfortunately, and while I don’t agree with the decision to scrap it, I can understand why they have chosen to do so. =/
Thank you for your opinions though!

And thanks to everyone again!

One question I pose to all:-
For the interior, is it more appealing to have, say a black or dark charcoal dashboard with silver (brushed aluminum finish) accents, or Piano black accents?
Old 01-30-09, 07:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

I'm a fan of Piano black accents myself
Old 01-30-09, 08:20 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm a fan of Piano black accents myself
Superb! That's my favorite too thanks!
Old 01-30-09, 08:51 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

As long as the aluminum is real keep it at that; however if its faux.. Piano black FTW!...Will the cluster pod be integrated or will it be otherwise?
Old 01-30-09, 09:12 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by IntegresS
flipside909- oh, so no red even? Haha ok ok, well good thing is, the interior discussion yesterday involved “alpine blue” colored backlighting, the white-blue color, or a green color. And, quite frankly, the green colored one didn’t get a whole lot of positive feedback, so I think it’s leaning toward Alpine blue or that white-blue color.

Koma- Well..from what I’ve seen, the tC’s upcoming replacement will look nothing like the current tC we see today. I personally don’t like what the tC’s replacement looks like, but, the good thing is that we can then put more of the sporty four-door-coupe look into the Corolla so that the two will stand apart. I think the tC’s replacement will attract a whole different type of crowd. On a good note though, the tC’s replacement will have more HP than the current one and is supposed to be more performance driven than the current, however, I didn’t hear anything about 5spd vs 6spd =/ Also, when I say “Supposed to be more performance driven,” keep in mind the price must remain right at or under 20k.

I agree the MPG on the tC is nothing to get excited about- I had 2 myself =/

We are definitely trying to get “more value for your dollar” in the next Corolla, with more standard options and more technology. We have steered clear of tacked on lip kits to this point, so I don’t think that should be an issue. We haven’t really discussed different “Versions” of the Corolla yet, or what the “Sport package” could entail. But we’ll get there and I’ll keep this thread updated

As for a Supercharger…well…I honestly don’t see that happening. In a week, we will actually be discontinuing the TRD Supercharger for ALL Scion models. It’s not a money maker unfortunately, and while I don’t agree with the decision to scrap it, I can understand why they have chosen to do so. =/
Thank you for your opinions though!

And thanks to everyone again!

For the interior, is it more appealing to have, say a black or dark charcoal dashboard with silver (brushed aluminum finish) accents, or Piano black accents?
I'm going to assume the tC replacement will be close to the Haku and Fuse concepts. Box coupes. Ugly in my opinion but that'll make me that much happier to have the tC. Does that mean there'll be room for a Corolla coupe if the tC replacement is going to a different direction entirely?
The 2.5 is most likely the engine that will be in the tC replacement as it gets better MPG and more power out of the 2.4 and is already being offered with two 6 speed transmissions (manual and auto) for the 2010 Camry. And because it gets better MPG they can tune it for more power without sacrificing mileage too much, since tCs sell like hotcakes and the 2.4 can be tuned to break 30mpg but still sells well with mediocre MPG. I would expect this tC replacement to make or break the 200hp barrier since in Camry SE trim it'll make 190hp.

I didn't get the supercharger either, so it's understandable that they'll kill it. I just thought from a marketing standpoint to compete with vehicles like the Mazdaspeed 3, GTI and Civic Si they could make the XRS more powerful cheaply with the supercharger.

As for interior trim:
If the silver accents are real metal than it'll look good but remember it has to be durable so brushed aluminum maybe be tough.
I like piano black as well but more for a luxury aspect, a sporty version of the Corolla should be CF appliques (can't be real this car can't price itself that way) or brushed metal

Last edited by Koma; 01-30-09 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 05:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I'll be in the 16-24 range.

When I first caught sight of the Gen 10 Corolla, I thought it looked a lot more upscale and more business-like (particularly with the chrome grille found on European models). Even the XRS (esp. the pics you posted), looked quite grown up. However, I feel that Toyota can still be more adventurous in its design.

For example, the rear of the Corolla (anywhere from the C-pillar to the rear bumper) is very conservative and very evolutionary of the previous model. If someone just showed me a profile picture of the rear of the Corolla, I would've guessed it came from the mid-90s with a bit more curve.

I think the Mazda3 is definitely the benchmark for attracting the younger generation. Its design is still fresh even though it's several years old and the new one is around the corner. Be more creative with curves and angles to create a nice organic design that'll wow the audience just as the Mazda3 did. The current Matrix is getting there (I like the wave-like accent along the profile)

On the inside, the double hooded instrument cluster is fine but why change the cluster to the standard design when the Auris has a funky new look? I appreciate the design on the door handles, however. They're unique and different and yet still functional, so that's one good thing about the current generation.

With regards to the centre console design, the waterfall-like flowing design is ok but why not copy Volvo and go ahead with a small compartment behind it? The Venza, RX and Prius have a common design theme with a sweeping console arc at the base, sweeping towards the driver. Perhaps an evolution of that will make it to the new Corolla?
Old 01-30-09, 05:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Depends on the design, I suppose. I've seen both and they can be well executed (even though one might think that piano black on black might be too dark).

I'm a piano black person myself. I think it looks quite classy. Or match piano black with satin (instead of bright silver).
Old 01-30-09, 05:55 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some suggestion:

switchblade remote (honda is going to this, btw). It's time for a new corporate key design. little elements like this can go a long way

indicator signals in the mirrors. this is becoming standard on many cars in the class and does add a lot of class in itself. (think rabbit/jetta, and scions)

Some sort of multi-function screen in the dash to display trip computer functions. Again, this is not too much to ask for in this price range any longer

The Corolla engine bay is very cheaply designed as well. Could add a hydraulic hood assist (although none of the japanese competition do)

The interior trim could be substantially improved. The switchgear is OK, but the rest of the materials mix is cheap. Again, look to Jetta quality as something to topple.

that's it. The Corolla is an impressive car in terms of cost and reliability, but there needs to be some bold steps forward with some class first functionality. I'm sick and tired of seeing the Japanese refuse to do this. Again, look at the jetta (I'm sure Toyota already is). copy that suspension/steering mix, and add some classy touches like real aluminum trim around the interior. It goes a long way.

Last edited by FKL; 01-30-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 06:27 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Please leave a rubber boot in the engine bay making it easier to run a 12v wire in the corolla...Its a PITA to do it
Old 05-23-11, 06:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post The Toyota Recall/Probs Thread was Closed So Here Seems Next Logical ...

DETROIT – Federal safety officials say problems with the steering in Toyota Corollas were not caused by parts failures.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began looking into 2009 and 2010 model Corollas in February after getting about 80 complaints. Many said the cars felt as if they were drifting off course

But safety officials say the problems were because drivers preferred a different feel to the steering wheel.

The agency says Toyota has come up with a repair for customers who aren't satisfied with the electronic power steering.

Corollas and Matrix hatchbacks combined are the top-selling compact car in the U.S.

Toyota has recalled more than 14 million vehicles across the world in the past year and a half, mainly for acceleration and braking problems.
Old 05-23-11, 06:59 AM
LexFather

I just hope Toyota really finds a way to balance keeping Corolla customers happy while going into new areas. I do not want to see a Corolla in the same vein as Honda just did the Civic.

Old 05-23-11, 07:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

And here I thought I was going to see something about the next gen Corolla

Nice to see that Toyota is cleared of wrong doing.......again.

Quick Reply: Next Generation Corolla