Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 08:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even then... "an improvement for the most part" =

Old turds are an improvement, for the most part, over new turds because they don't smell anymore.

However, turds are still turds.
Old 06-27-11, 01:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the current sad state of the Corolla is obviously Toyota's own fault. Unless they get their act together (which it sounds like they haven't), The Corolla will go from bench warmer to water boy, pretty quickly.
current state being the most sold car in the category?

or what state is that?
Old 06-27-11, 02:03 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn't sound very promising to me...

Two years away? Or next year as a 2013 model? Two years away is too long, IMO.
The current Corolla is only in its 3rd year (in US - it was new for 2009). So a small 4 year cycle if the new one comes as a 2013. Toyota usually runs at least 5 year cycles.

Originally Posted by spwolf

or what state is that?
Good point. The internet loves to criticize the Corolla, but sales numbers don't lie. Hard to call the Corolla a failure when it's the best seller, or a close second to the Civic (another failure according to the internet).
Old 06-27-11, 02:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The current Corolla is only in its 3rd year (in US - it was new for 2009). So a small 4 year cycle if the new one comes as a 2013. Toyota usually runs at least 5 year cycles.

Good point. The internet loves to criticize the Corolla, but sales numbers don't lie. Hard to call the Corolla a failure when it's the best seller, or a close second to the Civic (another failure according to the internet).
it will most certainly come as 2013 model, facelift was lat least year and they will use at least 2 years of that.

Auris on the other hand is coming next year, as it was out in early 2007, facelifted early 2010.
Old 06-28-11, 04:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

or what state is that?
sales. it's a winner.

But in terms of design, the Corolla is the most boring looking compact car to-date. A Chevrolet Cruze or Ford Focus (new) looks more exciting. Heck, even the Elantra looks more exciting and sporty.

Just saying
Old 06-28-11, 05:16 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ That's exactly what the designers were trying to change-- the boring-ness
Old 06-28-11, 05:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
sales. it's a winner.

But in terms of design, the Corolla is the most boring looking compact car to-date. A Chevrolet Cruze or Ford Focus (new) looks more exciting. Heck, even the Elantra looks more exciting and sporty.

Just saying
thats also because it is oldest and most seen on the roads... and maybe the fact it is built for older more conservative population is what gets them the sales? :-).
Old 06-28-11, 05:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

thats also because it is oldest and most seen on the roads... and maybe the fact it is built for older more conservative population is what gets them the sales? :-).
Well okay it's understandable.........but as a compact car that I would actually want to own and/or buy, the Corolla was never in my top 10 list.
Old 06-28-11, 06:02 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Well okay it's understandable.........but as a compact car that I would actually want to own and/or buy, the Corolla was never in my top 10 list.
yes, but it is in the top 10 list of a lot (a lot considering the numbers) of others. Myself, if looking for point A to point B, daily driver, decent gas and reliability, good resale as top criteria, then Corolla makes the grade. If looks is added, then maybe not, but at that price, what else?
Old 07-03-11, 02:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Well, I finally saw the "finished" product last week. I'm sure there's still some tweaking to be done, as the vehicle isn't going to be released until roughly 2013, but for the most part, it's an improvement on the Corolla we have now! ^_^

I am not at liberty to share much, but..... in terms of overall body design, think recent Kia and Hyundai designs.

That's all I'll say
With all due respect, are you sure you're describing the new Corolla's design correctly ? The 2012 Camry looks like a Toyota through and through. It's got a more sporty and modern design, but nothing really gimmicky in terms of styling like most new Hyundai/Kia products. I would be very surprised if the new Corolla had Hyundai/Kia sort of styling gimmicks. Plus, the new Corolla needs to have at least somewhat of a family resemblance with the new Camry. Since I know what the new Camry looks like, I can't imagine the new Corolla straying too far from that family resemblance .

That doesn't sound very promising to me...

Two years away? Or next year as a 2013 model? Two years away is too long, IMO.

"...for the most part, it's an improvement on the Corolla we have now." That's really not saying much and you don't sound very sure that it's a notable improvement. The current Corolla is an embarassing joke and really has been since the beginning. I don't care how many they sell or have sold previously...this generation has been riding on the laurels of it's own name, and I think it's hard to deny that. The new Corolla needs to be undoubtedly, unequivocally better, more advanced, better looking and more capable than the current car. An improvement, "for the most part" is certainly setting it up to fail.

Similar to recent Kia and Hyundai designs? The new Elantra is ungodly ugly and while I like the Forte, it will be close to a redesign in two years. This is very concerning as well...
Toyota is not going to rush its new product. Period. Quality is the top priority, not speed to market. Two years or less is not that far away anyways.

The current Corolla is hardly an embarrassing joke. IMO it sounds like you're a bit too caught up in the internet critics/Toyota haters mentality. The current Corolla, while it may look dated and have a not-so-great interior, is still a great car in many ways. It still achieves great real-world fuel economy, is a comfortable car compared to most compacts in the class, is quiet and refined, has a well-built interior (even if the plastics are not so great), and has great cost of ownership. It's proven, reliable, cheap to own and to fix.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the current sad state of the Corolla is obviously Toyota's own fault. Unless they get their act together (which it sounds like they haven't), The Corolla will go from bench warmer to water boy, pretty quickly.
I'm surprised you're underestimating Toyota here. Everything I've heard points to the next-gen Corolla being a BIG improvement in almost all areas. I've heard that it pretty much surpasses the new competition on the market in many ways. Even the current Corolla surpasses some of the new competition. For example, the new Elantra's ride quality is disappointing. Reviews have pointed out that it is under-damped, and gets quickly unsettled and bouncy on any roads that aren't glass-smooth. It's engine also gets noisy and unrefined at high revs. The current "dated" Corolla has better ride quality on rough roads, and has an overall refined engine.

Especially with what you've heard about some of Toyota's next-gen products, I am surprised you're so negative here about the next-gen Corolla. I think you're going to be in for a big surprise.
Old 07-04-11, 08:41 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

The current Corolla is hardly an embarrassing joke. IMO it sounds like you're a bit too caught up in the internet critics/Toyota haters mentality. The current Corolla, while it may look dated and have a not-so-great interior, is still a great car in many ways. It still achieves great real-world fuel economy, is a comfortable car compared to most compacts in the class, is quiet and refined, has a well-built interior (even if the plastics are not so great), and has great cost of ownership. It's proven, reliable, cheap to own and to fix.

Allow me to defend the current-generation Corolla. It is NOT the "will-be-the-death-of-Toyota" car that Internet car reviewers would have you believe.

I made the conscious decision a year ago to trade DOWN from a 2007 Camry LE to a 2010 Corolla LE (note that the Canadian-trimmed Corolla LE is roughly equivalent to the American-trimmed Corolla XLE). I made the decision for 2 main reasons:

1. The Camry was starting to feel too big. With its high beltline and low seating position, it made it difficult (especially for my wife, who is much shorter) to judge the edges of the car, making it seem like a much larger car than it is; and with its heavy steering and initial throttle tip-in hesitation, it drove like a larger and much heavier car. (I really do not like the high-beltline styling of the new Hyundais and Kias. In addition to making it harder to judge the edges of the car, it makes it feel very claustrophobic in the back seat, especially for small children.)

2. With the job situation still uncertain, I wanted a car with lower operating costs.

I expected to be getting much less car -- trading DOWN -- when I got the Corolla, expecting that I would be giving up a Toyota ES for an econobox. While it is obvious that the Corolla was built to a certain price-point, it did surprise me in other ways. Whereas the Camry LE felt like it was built DOWN from a more luxurious car, the Corolla LE felt like it had been built UP from a basic car. It does only have a 4-speed automatic transmission, a torsion-beam rear suspension and rear drum brakes, but...

1. It is a very quiet car. I was surprised to see that Toyota puts a sound-insulation pad under the trunk-lid of the Corolla but Honda does NOT have one inside the Accord's trunk-lid.

2. It has an amazingly refined engine that is so smooth and quiet at idle and cruising that you would barely know it is on. It is also not slow, with more than enough power to get out of its own way. It is also (like all current Toyota engines) very efficient. Even without the latest engine technology like Valvematic and direct injection, it is still very competitive. Just think what a 6-speed automatic transmission or CVT could do!

3. It has a very good ride for an inexpensive compact car; I expected something flinty and choppy but got a nice balance of larger-car ride AND more than enough handling prowess to get out of its own way.

4. It also looks quite good, in my opinion. I believe that the current-generation Camry, Yaris and Corolla look very good, with good proportions and classic looks that will not age quickly. Like the Japanese (as a culture and a people), and Toyota (as a corporation), the styling of Toyotas is very subtle. It takes time to appreciate the detailing of current Toyotas (and Lexus models); creases are not knock-you-over-the-head obvious but are very subtle that show up only under the right lighting conditions. This shows great attention to detail on the part of the designers.
Old 07-04-11, 02:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not at liberty to share much, but..... in terms of overall body design, think recent Kia and Hyundai designs.

That's all I'll say

that's funny.

people are saying how hyundai will never catch up, will always be a follower, etc etc.

in 1998, I said the same thing, as I thought of the hyundai excel.
I had a korean friend tell me, "you just watch. Hyundai will rise."
and here we are in 2011, and hyundai has gained so much ground, I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai caught up with toyota in 2021.

that said, I still wouldn't buy a hyundai
Old 07-04-11, 02:42 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I like the exterior design of the car, but the feature content, powertrain, and ****ty interior make this Corolla one of the worst cars Toyota has ever built. I'll be so glad when this generation is dead, though hopefully the 11th is actually a TOYOTA and not a GM copycat car.

I could live with a Corolla, but it's not a car a Toyota fan should be very proud of.
Old 07-04-11, 03:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Allow me to defend the current-generation Corolla. It is NOT the "will-be-the-death-of-Toyota" car that Internet car reviewers would have you believe.

I made the conscious decision a year ago to trade DOWN from a 2007 Camry LE to a 2010 Corolla LE (note that the Canadian-trimmed Corolla LE is roughly equivalent to the American-trimmed Corolla XLE). I made the decision for 2 main reasons:

1. The Camry was starting to feel too big. With its high beltline and low seating position, it made it difficult (especially for my wife, who is much shorter) to judge the edges of the car, making it seem like a much larger car than it is; and with its heavy steering and initial throttle tip-in hesitation, it drove like a larger and much heavier car. (I really do not like the high-beltline styling of the new Hyundais and Kias. In addition to making it harder to judge the edges of the car, it makes it feel very claustrophobic in the back seat, especially for small children.)

2. With the job situation still uncertain, I wanted a car with lower operating costs.

I expected to be getting much less car -- trading DOWN -- when I got the Corolla, expecting that I would be giving up a Toyota ES for an econobox. While it is obvious that the Corolla was built to a certain price-point, it did surprise me in other ways. Whereas the Camry LE felt like it was built DOWN from a more luxurious car, the Corolla LE felt like it had been built UP from a basic car. It does only have a 4-speed automatic transmission, a torsion-beam rear suspension and rear drum brakes, but...

1. It is a very quiet car. I was surprised to see that Toyota puts a sound-insulation pad under the trunk-lid of the Corolla but Honda does NOT have one inside the Accord's trunk-lid.

2. It has an amazingly refined engine that is so smooth and quiet at idle and cruising that you would barely know it is on. It is also not slow, with more than enough power to get out of its own way. It is also (like all current Toyota engines) very efficient. Even without the latest engine technology like Valvematic and direct injection, it is still very competitive. Just think what a 6-speed automatic transmission or CVT could do!

3. It has a very good ride for an inexpensive compact car; I expected something flinty and choppy but got a nice balance of larger-car ride AND more than enough handling prowess to get out of its own way.

4. It also looks quite good, in my opinion. I believe that the current-generation Camry, Yaris and Corolla look very good, with good proportions and classic looks that will not age quickly. Like the Japanese (as a culture and a people), and Toyota (as a corporation), the styling of Toyotas is very subtle. It takes time to appreciate the detailing of current Toyotas (and Lexus models); creases are not knock-you-over-the-head obvious but are very subtle that show up only under the right lighting conditions. This shows great attention to detail on the part of the designers.
Very well said. The little details, the little touches are what make a Toyota a Toyota. Touches that the competition mostly doesn't have.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's funny.

people are saying how hyundai will never catch up, will always be a follower, etc etc.

in 1998, I said the same thing, as I thought of the hyundai excel.
I had a korean friend tell me, "you just watch. Hyundai will rise."
and here we are in 2011, and hyundai has gained so much ground, I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai caught up with toyota in 2021.

that said, I still wouldn't buy a hyundai
As a certain Toyota exec recently said, "when Hyundai thinks they've matched Toyota, what's next?"

Even if Hyundai thinks they've matched Toyota, what next? They have only the fraction of the resources of Toyota, and they have virtually no history of innovation. in fact, none of the major Korean companies out there have a history of innovation. If and when Hyundai matches Toyota, they won't be able to copy any or imitate any more, they will have to innovate big-time to keep progressing, otherwise they will stagnate and become less competitive.
Old 07-04-11, 04:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If and when Hyundai matches Toyota, they won't be able to copy any or imitate any more, they will have to innovate big-time to keep progressing, otherwise they will stagnate and become less competitive.

you can talk about features and innovation all you want.

It's just funny when a massive company with huge resources, like toyota, turns around and copies Hyundai..... if what Integress said is true.

Quick Reply: Next Generation Corolla