Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Hyundai Genesis V6 Twin Turbo? Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 04:16 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
take a look at the Toyota Tundra, and then take a look at the new Dodge Ram. The Ram blows it away, regardless of your preconceived notions about American quality.
Just goes to show you, everyone's perceptions are different. See, in my opinion, the Ram is an absolute piece of garbage.
Old 01-28-09, 04:36 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by XprincoX
Hyundai's brand image is still of "cheap" economical cars in the eyes of most consumers. That still appears to be the sentiment to most people...
You got to admit the build and quality of Hyundai has come a long way from when they first started. I even rank them higher than some American brands not that they count for much these days. But don't sleep on the Genesis, the turbo 4cyl and V6 will walk an IS250
Old 01-28-09, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Just goes to show you, everyone's perceptions are different. See, in my opinion, the Ram is an absolute piece of garbage.
OT, but the ram is amazingly ugly to me, but it's very functional, and majorly upgraded, especially the new one. and now it has actual springs at the back (first for a big truck?) i bet it rides better than most any big truck.
Old 01-28-09, 02:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My 07 IS has no rattles at 24K miles, but I'll keep listening.

OT, but this reminds me of when I was talking to a Mercedes fleet manager last November. We were discussing Lexus quality and he kept dwelling on the Lexus console and how they rattle and shake and you could never fix it, who knows wtf he was referring to. And this was a seasoned fleet manager, how lame. Of course he didn't want to discuss the multitude of quality issues with Mercedes in 2001-2007 including SBC brake recall, brake light assembly failures, power steering leaks, air suspension failures, audio system failures, endless brake dust complaints, etc. He knew there was no comparison between Lexus and Benz quality.

Back on topic, the Genesis sure seems competitive, but I haven't driven one yet.
Old 01-28-09, 02:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OT, but the ram is amazingly ugly to me, but it's very functional, and majorly upgraded, especially the new one. and now it has actual springs at the back (first for a big truck?) i bet it rides better than most any big truck.
In the new C&D, the Ram won a comparo with Ford and Chevy pickups. It also got a good review on Motorweek recently. Sounds like it's improved.

Sorry to have strayed OT.
Old 01-28-09, 02:51 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 15951
My assertion that Lexus/Toyota have engineered cheapness into their cars is based on the following:

1. My car is driven in S. Florida on great roads, and the vehicle has about 9,700 miles on it. It's hardly abused.

2. I have two other cars with at least double the mileage that do not rattle at all, and they cost half what the Lexus cost.

3. The dealers are giving up on fixing rattles, and instead claiming that this is a normal trait of the car. That's what my Pontiac dealer told me back in 1991, just to put that in perspective.

Your mileage will (hopefully) vary. For me, this is a first time/last time purchase, as my two American vehicles are rattle free and as reliable as the Lexus. Just my experience and opinion.

By the way, I drove the Genesis during an invitational that included a course that basically beat the hell out of the car - rumble strips, etc. It was quiet as a vault, and had the crap kicked out of it by at least 100 others before I got to it. Incidentally, they also allowed me to drive a CTS and and a Mercedes back to back with the Genesis for comparison purposes. The CTS was ok, the Mercedes was fantastic, and the Genesis fell right in the middle at less than half the price of the Mercedes.
My IS is full of rattles, and has been pretty much from the beginning. The dealer has tried fixing 5 times, with no real results, and Lexus corporate washes there hands of it all. This will be my first/last Lexus purchase. Come October 2009 and it's 3yr anniversary I'm tempted to get rid of it. I may drive it next winter and then get rid of it in the spring 2010. I'll be looking at the Genesis (never thought I'd say that about a Hyundai) Acura's got nothing that interests me (sad as I had and loved a rattle free Legend and 3.5RL prior to getting the IS) and I don't really like the G37. I'd think about Audi and BMW though long term reliability, like after the warranty is up, scares me.

Last edited by totalstu; 01-28-09 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 07:42 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My IS has no rattles but there's a slight wind noise 70mph and up. I think every car is bound to develop rattles eventually though.
Old 01-28-09, 07:50 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

OT, but.... What about that TT V6 Genesis? Is there any merit to that picture?
Old 01-28-09, 09:30 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Genesis is truly a luxury platform car from Hyundai. I have driven it. I was reading where insiders in Hyundai know it is too difficult and costly to start a new luxury brand like Toyota/Lexus becuase of the lack of a dealer network, funding, etc.

But truly the Genesis was built with overall top quality and new luxury line in mind. The pitfall and they know is that it will be difficult to sustain growth with a Hyundai name, which is why they left the "H" badge off the front of the car. I thought this was interesting. Stigma is a *****!
Old 01-29-09, 10:02 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirCharles
I was reading where insiders in Hyundai know it is too difficult and costly to start a new luxury brand like Toyota/Lexus becuase of the lack of a dealer network, funding, etc.
To me that is an invalid excuse for Hyundai not to do so, it really is IMO. I'm looking at that excuse as Hyundai's too cheap and not willing to put the effort into doing so and in the process winning me over as a customer.
Sure it's gonna cost a crapload of money, but if they execute successfully and are truly that confident in their product there shouldn't be a problem in recouping the money within a reasonable amount of time and then some.
Old 01-29-09, 01:59 PM
Epik151
Driver

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
To me that is an invalid excuse for Hyundai not to do so, it really is IMO. I'm looking at that excuse as Hyundai's too cheap and not willing to put the effort into doing so and in the process winning me over as a customer.
Sure it's gonna cost a crapload of money, but if they execute successfully and are truly that confident in their product there shouldn't be a problem in recouping the money within a reasonable amount of time and then some.
Well, they are confident in their product which is why they may forgo creating a new luxury brand.

You would need to spend billions on the packaging if you didn't have great new models that could pull up the entire brand with it.

But with the money Hyundai is saving, they can pass on the savings to the customers. Isn't that we want? A top of the line product without the top of the line MSRP?

It would kind of break my heart to see badgewh0res buying Hyundai cars being sold under a new luxury marque called "Genesis".

Last edited by Epik151; 01-29-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 03:17 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

In 10 years, perhaps we will see that they did execute successfully. Echoing Epik151, it begins with quality cars and everything else follows. Why prematurely invest in a dealer network when you can get people talking first, which they have clearly done very successfully.
Old 01-29-09, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

it's not down to them, new dealers would have to raise money to finance them and in this economy, forget it.
Old 01-29-09, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Mazda didn't do it with Amati in the 1990s. THey still produced the Millinea. Just b/c you have a luxury badge does not equal success and prestige or even good service or quality. Saab, Volvo, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln have luxury badges with very very mixed results for example.

A new luxury brand today would easily cost 5 billion. Then do they have the expertise and resources to do so?

Old 01-29-09, 10:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Just b/c you have a luxury badge does not equal success and prestige or even good service or quality. Saab, Volvo, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln have luxury badges with very very mixed results for example.
Yes they have no cache and are not yet considered to be premium vehicle brands.

Quick Reply: 2010 Hyundai Genesis V6 Twin Turbo? Any Ideas?