Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Hyundai Genesis V6 Twin Turbo? Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 03:26 PM
pompitup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Hyundai Genesis V6 Twin Turbo? Any Ideas?

crazy....is this true or false anyone knows?
Old 01-26-09, 03:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

wrong forum.
Old 01-26-09, 03:58 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

who cares? still a hyundai in my book.
Old 01-26-09, 03:59 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrIS250
People used to say that about Toyota and Lexus, smart guy.
Old 01-26-09, 04:47 PM
strife
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrIS250
yes.. because it's the badge that makes a car good...
Old 01-26-09, 04:51 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong forum.... but yeah looks likea wannabe G37...
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html
Old 01-26-09, 04:55 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XprincoX
I test drove a Genesis, and they're rattle-free and built like vaults. I doubt anyone could say the same of an Infiniti (or Lexus, these days).

It's demonstrable that the "underdog" brands typically have better quality. If anyone doubts this, take a look at the Toyota Tundra, and then take a look at the new Dodge Ram. The Ram blows it away, regardless of your preconceived notions about American quality. As a matter of fact, my wife's big American SUV is quiet, fast, and built with high quality materials and tight body seams. My Lexus is embarrassingly squeaky with rattles from every corner.

Toyota has gotten huge, and in the process the bean counters have "engineered" some cheapness in.

Last edited by 15951; 01-26-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 04:55 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
People used to say that about Toyota and Lexus, smart guy.
say what exactly? that no matter what it's capable of, it's still a toyota/lexus? since when has hyundai ever been on par with toyota or lexus?

Originally Posted by strife
yes.. because it's the badge that makes a car good...
again...my comment had nothing to do with anything relating to either positive nor negative about the genesis.
Old 01-26-09, 05:07 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by XprincoX
looks like an imitation of a benz/lexus/infiniti/bmw all smashed into one. im not gonna go into detail but here are two things to get you thinking
1) the grill

2) the taillights (the L-shaped bends at the bottom- these are exactly the same as the LS 460's, only stretched) --oh and before anyone asks i point these out just because i LOVED the way the Ls looked on the LS at night, before the Genesis came out that is

granted there are some differences, the designers at hyundai have obviously been looking at whats popular in the luxury market. its a pretty smart move, but i dont think people appreciate imitation as much as they do innovation. its a step forward for hyundai, but i would like to see them produce a stunning car that sets the benchmark for future car generations. this car, on the other hand, seems to be an attempt to catch up to the other automakers. this is just my personal approach tho, and there are probably many who disagree, i just wanted to put in my two cents
Old 01-26-09, 05:13 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
I test drove a Genesis, and they're rattle-free and built like vaults. I doubt anyone could say the same of an Infiniti (or Lexus, these days).

It's demonstrable that the "underdog" brands typically have better quality. If anyone doubts this, take a look at the Toyota Tundra, and then take a look at the new Dodge Ram. The Ram blows it away, regardless of your preconceived notions about American quality. As a matter of fact, my wife's big American SUV is quiet, fast, and built with high quality materials and tight body seams. My Lexus is embarrassingly squeaky with rattles from every corner.

Toyota has gotten huge, and in the process the bean counters have "engineered" some cheapness in.
your argument is valid, but i disagree with you on the idea that lexus and toyota have engineered cheapness into their cars. your lexus has rattles and squeaks because u driven it on roads which, needless to say, are riddled with holes and cracks. u test drove a genesis, of course it didnt have rattles, it was BRAND NEW! give it a couple years on the road and who knows how it may sound then. u will never know until you actually drive the car for a couple years

Last edited by x2mkx; 01-26-09 at 05:13 PM. Reason: edited for grammatical errors
Old 01-27-09, 04:22 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by x2mkx
your argument is valid, but i disagree with you on the idea that lexus and toyota have engineered cheapness into their cars. your lexus has rattles and squeaks because u driven it on roads which, needless to say, are riddled with holes and cracks. u test drove a genesis, of course it didnt have rattles, it was BRAND NEW! give it a couple years on the road and who knows how it may sound then. u will never know until you actually drive the car for a couple years
My assertion that Lexus/Toyota have engineered cheapness into their cars is based on the following:

1. My car is driven in S. Florida on great roads, and the vehicle has about 9,700 miles on it. It's hardly abused.

2. I have two other cars with at least double the mileage that do not rattle at all, and they cost half what the Lexus cost.

3. The dealers are giving up on fixing rattles, and instead claiming that this is a normal trait of the car. That's what my Pontiac dealer told me back in 1991, just to put that in perspective.

Your mileage will (hopefully) vary. For me, this is a first time/last time purchase, as my two American vehicles are rattle free and as reliable as the Lexus. Just my experience and opinion.

By the way, I drove the Genesis during an invitational that included a course that basically beat the hell out of the car - rumble strips, etc. It was quiet as a vault, and had the crap kicked out of it by at least 100 others before I got to it. Incidentally, they also allowed me to drive a CTS and and a Mercedes back to back with the Genesis for comparison purposes. The CTS was ok, the Mercedes was fantastic, and the Genesis fell right in the middle at less than half the price of the Mercedes.

Last edited by 15951; 01-27-09 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 04:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

false. imo. think the motors got crossed. For all who think who cares, its a hyundai..... thats the same thing they used to say about lexus when it was first released
Old 01-27-09, 05:03 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyundai's brand image is still of "cheap" economical cars in the eyes of most consumers. That still appears to be the sentiment to most people...
Old 01-27-09, 05:20 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which should be good when the coupe come along, since the brand is cheap, they should sell the car cheap... it'll be a cheap sports car... sounds like a modern S13.

In fact, I like it quite a bit.
Old 01-27-09, 05:34 PM
Epik151
Driver

It's a nice car. Not for the money either. It's just a nice car.

Quick Reply: 2010 Hyundai Genesis V6 Twin Turbo? Any Ideas?