Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura's Production Plans for Coming Months Reflect Low Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 05:06 PM
LexFather

Post Acura's Production Plans for Coming Months Reflect Low Expectations

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=811367

* 2009 TSX production ends after January. No more '09 TSXs will be built. Next production for the TSX begins in August, for the 2010 model. For 2010 a V6 version has been confirmed, but it will be available only in limited quantities.
* First quarter vehicle production has been reduced. Basically March's original production plan has been lopped off, and the total number of vehicles scheduled for January and February production will be spread across the entire quarter (NOTE: This is different than what I initially posted, I originally misinterpreted the information)
* Unless I'm interpreting my information incorrectly '09 RL production has already ceased. RL production will not begin again until the 2010 model production run begins in May.
* Delivery slowdown to dealerships: A 6-day (per week) transit delivery schedule has been cut in half to 3 days of deliveries per week.
* Only TLs and RDXs are scheduled to be produced during the month of April. The total production will be just barely over 1000 units, with roughly 65% of that total being TLs.
* Production will pick up again in May, with just under 4500 total units scheduled for production. Roughly 40% will be TL, 40% MDX, 10% RDX and about 10% RL.
* June production will remain roughly level with May, but the distribution is shifted around a bit, with the RL seeing no production, the TL seeing fewer units and the MDX making up a little more than 65% of the month's production (presumably the 2010 model)
* Acura Production for the entire 2nd quarter appears to be fewer than 10000 units.
* 2010 MDX will be the MMC model, appearing in showrooms in late August.
* 2010 RDX is also getting an MMC, and should appear in showrooms in the July/August timeframe. The FWD model is confirmed by the information I received.

Old 01-26-09, 06:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

* 2009 TSX production ends after January. No more '09 TSXs will be built. Next production for the TSX begins in August, for the 2010 model. For 2010 a V6 version has been confirmed, but it will be available only in limited quantities.
Why do I get the feeling that all Acura will be doing is shove a J-series into the TSX?? Not that there is anything wrong with a j-series, but we like to see something new. Perhaps the executives at Acura are thinking most people wouldn't know the V6 is a derivative of the original J30.

Then again with Acura, most everything that is 'confirmed' gets nailed in the coffin eventually.
Old 01-26-09, 06:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like most auto makers manufacturing plans, declining.
Old 01-26-09, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I guess the production shutdown for the TSX precludes any chance of it getting the SH-AWD this year. A shame IMO, that would have been good competition for the Lexus IS250, Subaru Legacy GT, and some xi versions of the BMW 3-series. I would have taken a good look at one myself.
Old 01-26-09, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess the production shutdown for the TSX precludes any chance of it getting the SH-AWD this year. A shame IMO, that would have been good competition for the Lexus IS250, Subaru Legacy GT, and some xi versions of the BMW 3-series. I would have taken a good look at one myself.
Mike its clear Acura executives don't care about their own. This will be my only post here.

Mendel is quick to say he doesn’t discount the opinions of some of Acura’s most fervent fans. But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on.
The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says