Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 01:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
hmm, I'm in Danville and have seen quite a few CCs driving down 680 to SJ. I've only seen two new A4s in my travels
So I'll probably see the CC's soon enough since many people in Danville commute to SV. Certainly plenty of money is spent on television ads lately for the CC.
Old 01-27-09, 01:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't know when the CC came out, but in December 664 were sold (2,105 YTD). For comparision the Passat sedan sold 2,134 in Dec (24,375 YTD).

The CC is nice looking.
Old 01-27-09, 01:57 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So I'll probably see the CC's soon enough since many people in Danville commute to SV. Certainly plenty of money is spent on television ads lately for the CC.
No question It's always on here.
Old 01-27-09, 01:58 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't know when the CC came out, but in December 664 were sold (2,105 YTD). For comparision the Passat sedan sold 2,134 in Dec (24,375 YTD).

The CC is nice looking.
Thanks for those numbers! We'll see if sales hold. The margins are just as bad as the Passat, by the way.
Old 01-27-09, 02:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Thanks for those numbers! We'll see if sales hold. The margins are just as bad as the Passat, by the way.
Those CC numbers seem low at first glance, ignoring the ytd because CC came out late in the year. For December only with sales under 1K units (versus IS at 4K and ES at 5K for comparison), looks like a bit of a struggle to start. Or is maybe this is another VW struggle to go upmarket in the US.

But if the margins are slim, less of a problem. Jetta sales numbers were very impressive for 2008 at 91K units.

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-27-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 03:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Those CC numbers seem low at first glance, ignoring the ytd because CC came out late in the year. For December only with sales under 1K units (versus IS at 4K and ES at 5K for comparison), looks like a bit of a struggle to start. Or is maybe this is another VW struggle to go upmarket in the US.

But if the margins are slim, less of a problem. Jetta sales numbers were very impressive for 2008 at 91K units.
If it is another attempt to go upmarket, you're right, it could be a struggle. A lot of potential buyers in this segment will look at the V6, and it gets pretty pricey compared to the established competition.
Old 01-27-09, 03:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If it is another attempt to go upmarket, you're right, it could be a struggle. A lot of potential buyers in this segment will look at the V6, and it gets pretty pricey compared to the established competition.
Exactly, I looked at the CC V6/AWD and saw the nearly Mercedes C-class/Lexus IS price tag and that was the end of my interest.
Old 01-27-09, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Two problems:

The Passat is a relatively costly car for VWoA to import into North America. The margin on the cars is razor thin, which is why you see the company streamlining the models offered for 2009 (2.0T Lux only - $28,000). The Passat is now being positioned as a higher-end model, as the next European car will demonstrate (compete with the midsize luxury sedans). VW simply cannot compete with Accords and Camrys (with sub $20K entry prices) with their costly Passat. Sure it's a great car, but importing them from Emden and making close to nothing off of every one they sell doesn't make sense anylonger, which is why you have a new $1B investment in TN.

Secondly, the current 2005.5-present model has gone hopelessly upmarket. For the 2006 model year you could actually get a 3.6 VR6 eqiupped model for $30,000 (as you could with the 98-05 model), but for the next year they streamlined the product models and got rid of most options, bundling the VR6 at a $38,000 entry tab, pre-navigation. The car could reach past $40K once every option (sports package, adaptive cruise) were added. They just couldn't sell them, the 2.0T making up for nearly 85% of sales (if I recall). The average transaction price for the CC, by the way, is around ~$33K (80% uptake for luxury package), so VWoA is seriously considering dropping the entry level $27K model next year. Whatever the case, the Passat won't be going anywhere, just moving upmarket (as it really always has been).

Also, keep in mind when they say slotted between the Jetta and Passat, they are talking about the price. The interior volume will be slightly larger than the current Passat, but virtually identicle. It will be "better designed" with the US consumer in mind, which means downgraded damping more on par with the Japanese competition. I'm very worried they will overly-"Japaneseify" the car as I call it, forgoing the very values that make a VW a VW (and the only reasons to put up with their ownership costs).
OK, FKL. You seem to have some good explanations here. Let's see if that turns out to be the case.

I agree with you, BTW, that the current Passat is somewhat overpriced. But, unlike the Camry and Acord, it does have an AWD option.
Old 01-27-09, 03:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good info and insight on VW's US attempts.

Regarding:

"I'm very worried they will overly-"Japaneseify" the car as I call it, forgoing the very values that make a VW a VW (and the only reasons to put up with their ownership costs)."

I assume the "ownership costs" referenced above are related to mediocre reliability and depreciation rates...? Certainly some of the factors that have kept me from owning a V-dub in last decade.
Old 01-27-09, 03:47 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly, I looked at the CC V6/AWD and saw the nearly Mercedes C-class/Lexus IS price tag and that was the end of my interest.
Keep in mind the Passat is a larger than the C or IS, it's ES/MKS/TL sized. Also, I had the same V6 bias before I drove a 2.0T FSI (TSI for 09) motor. The engine itself is good enough for the Audi A4, and the vast majority of those cars are not equipped with the 3.2 V6.

Good info and insight on VW's US attempts.

Regarding:

"I'm very worried they will overly-"Japaneseify" the car as I call it, forgoing the very values that make a VW a VW (and the only reasons to put up with their ownership costs)."

I assume the "ownership costs" referenced above are related to mediocre reliability and depreciation rates...? Certainly some of the factors that have kept me from owning a V-dub in last decade.
Well in depreciation they are actually right there with the Japanese. But yes in terms of reliability/ownership costs. If they can hold true on their promises of fun to drive dynamically and cutting edge class features, then I'll be ok. But if not, why would anyone put up with a car that is esentially a Honda/Camry, but with costs that are much higher? To be fair, I'm assuming their US built cars will have the same costs of their German ones, but we'll see.
Old 01-27-09, 03:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Keep in mind the Passat is a larger than the C or IS, it's ES/MKS/TL sized. Also, I had the same V6 bias before I drove a 2.0T FSI (TSI for 09) motor. The engine itself is good enough for the Audi A4, and the vast majority of those cars are not equipped with the 3.2 V6.
Yes, but buyers are not picking cars by size alone these days, as the comparably strong sales of the C-class and IS have shown. Sure you can get a bigger Passat/CC for the money of course, but the buyer of premium cars is thinking more than overall length and EPA interior capacity in the decision process.

I agree the 2.0T is an excellent motor and plenty for most needs. In line with that is the way the C300 outsells the C350 by far and the IS250 outsells the IS350 by far also.
Old 01-27-09, 04:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

That's a good example of why the CC will be a tough sell vs. the established competition in that segment. It's not that it's a bad car or anything, it's just up against tough competition.
Old 01-29-09, 12:13 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, but buyers are not picking cars by size alone these days, as the comparably strong sales of the C-class and IS have shown.
Huh?

Bottom line is the CC is not a direct competitor to the smaller similarly priced entry level sports luxury sedans, in the same vein that a Buick or Lincoln or even ES is not. To compare the price directly to that of the much smaller C and IS is apples to oranges.
Old 01-29-09, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Huh?

Bottom line is the CC is not a direct competitor to the smaller similarly priced entry level sports luxury sedans, in the same vein that a Buick or Lincoln or even ES is not. To compare the price directly to that of the much smaller C and IS is apples to oranges.
Huh, then what is CC competing against. Based on sales numbers, it almost looks like the S2000. If you are only basing it on size alone, then the CC is losing in a huge way versus the Camry, Accord, ES, E-class, 5 series, Malibu, etc.

But it really doesn't matter. Short answer the CC is facing a bigger headwind than most and the poor sales results are obvious.
Old 01-29-09, 11:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Huh, then what is CC competing against. Based on sales numbers, it almost looks like the S2000. If you are only basing it on size alone, then the CC is losing in a huge way versus the Camry, Accord, ES, E-class, 5 series, Malibu, etc.

But it really doesn't matter. Short answer the CC is facing a bigger headwind than most and the poor sales results are obvious.
Here are the Dec sales of some other new sedans. The CC faces a big headwind indeed:

3,399 Maxima
2,089 MKS
1,040 Genesis (surprisingly low IMO)
664 VW CC

Quick Reply: VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)